Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > OTHER SPORTS
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welsh Football Team

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Welsh Football Team
    Posted: 16 November 2021 at 10:01pm
Congratulations to the Welsh national team for finishing second in their World Cup qualifying group.
They were well worth their draw against Belgium this evening and would have given England a heck of a fight to finish top of their group had wales been that fortune with the way the seedings go.
What I’ve really found enjoyed about their last 2 games at the Cardiff City stadium is the atmosphere and the behaviour of the welsh fans.  They have sung nonstop for 2 whole games, the national anthem this evening (with no band or backing track) gave me goosebumps.  
I hate to say it, but the welsh football fans are far more passionate and vocal than the fans we’ve seen in the autumn internationals at the principality stadium.  It probably helps that the football fans are general football fans and not people who just go the principality stadium for a day out on the lash.  Also there doesn’t appear to be a drinking culture in the Cardiff City Stadium, although I may be wrong.
It’s really sad to see the welsh football fans putting the rugby fans to shame.
Sponsored Links

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2021 at 10:45pm
Cracking post. Hyfryd i glywed "Yma o hyd" hefyd! Credit to the Welsh FA who've led by putting yr hen iaith and our identity as a nation to the fore. Welsh football has become a torchbearer for Welsh patriotism for some time now. The team play with obvious enjoyment and passion for the shirt. Such a positive vibe - I have to applaud them for all they've achieved on and off the pitch. Da iawn bois!
Jones2004 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2021 at 7:52am
Originally posted by Legendinmybathroom Legendinmybathroom wrote:

Congratulations to the Welsh national team for finishing second in their World Cup qualifying group.
They were well worth their draw against Belgium this evening and would have given England a heck of a fight to finish top of their group had wales been that fortune with the way the seedings go.
What I’ve really found enjoyed about their last 2 games at the Cardiff City stadium is the atmosphere and the behaviour of the welsh fans.  They have sung nonstop for 2 whole games, the national anthem this evening (with no band or backing track) gave me goosebumps.  
I hate to say it, but the welsh football fans are far more passionate and vocal than the fans we’ve seen in the autumn internationals at the principality stadium.  It probably helps that the football fans are general football fans and not people who just go the principality stadium for a day out on the lash.  Also there doesn’t appear to be a drinking culture in the Cardiff City Stadium, although I may be wrong.
On the drinking culture a lot of the fans at the CCS are drunk, but they’re still fans and stay in their seats during the game to support the team. They just do their drinking before and after the game rather than during it! It feels with the rugby that those who are drunk are often there just for the sesh, and not because they want to see the rugby. 
Part of the reason the atmosphere is so good at the game is that the same (often young) fans go to each and every game and therefore get to know how to play their part in the atmosphere. They’re able to do this as the tickets are so cheap. A young person couldn’t hope to be able to go to every AI and Six Nations game and so the atmosphere doesn’t build in the same way. If the WRU really want to make the atmosphere at the rugby better they should offer a ‘tournament’ ticket (where you get entry to every home game for a year) at a reasonable price and seat all those who’ve bought it together - perhaps even with safe standing. That would make every game accessible for young people and would start to change the type of match going fan. Clearly it would take time and result in a (short term) loss of income for the WRU so I can’t see it happening unfortunately. 
As it currently sits the biggest indictment I can put on the WRU is that as a young person who has much more interest in rugby than football, if you’d offer me a choice between a rugby and a football ticket, I’d take the football each and every time.  

Edited by Jones2004 - 17 November 2021 at 7:53am
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2021 at 8:05am
Originally posted by Jones2004 Jones2004 wrote:

Originally posted by Legendinmybathroom Legendinmybathroom wrote:

On the drinking culture a lot of the fans at the CCS are drunk, but they’re still fans and stay in their seats during the game to support the team. They just do their drinking before and after the game rather than during it! It feels with the rugby that those who are drunk are often there just for the sesh, and not because they want to see the rugby. 
Part of the reason the atmosphere is so good at the game is that the same (often young) fans go to each and every game and therefore get to know how to play their part in the atmosphere. They’re able to do this as the tickets are so cheap. A young person couldn’t hope to be able to go to every AI and Six Nations game and so the atmosphere doesn’t build in the same way. If the WRU really want to make the atmosphere at the rugby better they should offer a ‘tournament’ ticket (where you get entry to every home game for a year) at a reasonable price and seat all those who’ve bought it together - perhaps even with safe standing. That would make every game accessible for young people and would start to change the type of match going fan. Clearly it would take time and result in a (short term) loss of income for the WRU so I can’t see it happening unfortunately. 
As it currently sits the biggest indictment I can put on the WRU is that as a young person who has much more interest in rugby than football, if you’d offer me a choice between a rugby and a football ticket, I’d take the football each and every time.  

That's because they aren't allowed to drink anywhere you can see the grass but I agree it's a great atmosphere! My boy is a footballer & we've been up there a couple of times. In the middle of the game when they start singing the anthem from nowhere is amazing!
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2021 at 10:20am
You can’t drink in your seat at the football. That’s the only reason they don’t have a pint, the wElsh football fans do seem to have a great time though home and Away
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2021 at 11:18pm
Good thread this and yes it seems to have flipped the script whereby the football fans are outsinging the rugby ones and even seem to be behaving better too. No doubt the selling of booze throughout the rugby games is the main factor. That may soon come to an end if the bad behaviour continues. I heard a rumour too the mill stad have told people they MUST come into the ground over an hour before kick off? Is this accurate? If so what is the reasoning behind this ? Just to sell more booze?
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
hoppy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoppy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2021 at 10:19pm

Semi-finals – Thursday 24 March 2022

Path A

Scotland vs Ukraine (20:45 CET)
Wales vs Austria (20:45 CET)

Path B

Russia vs Poland (18:00 CET)
Sweden vs Czech Republic (20:45 CET)

Path C

Italy vs North Macedonia (20:45 CET) 
Portugal vs Turkey (20:45 CET)

Finals – Tuesday 29 March 2022

Path A 

Wales / Austria vs Scotland / Ukraine (20:45 CET)

Path B

Russia / Poland vs Sweden / Czech Republic (20:45 CET)

Path C

Portugal / Turkey vs Italy vs North Macedonia (20:45 CET)

SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2021 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

You can’t drink in your seat at the football. That’s the only reason they don’t have a pint, the wElsh football fans do seem to have a great time though home and Away

Does this apply in all football games? I’d have thought so with the reputation it has in the past. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic