Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

No Arms tackle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No Arms tackle
    Posted: 06 December 2021 at 7:24am
Some weeks ago Shaun Edwards made a comment regarding no arms tackling. He more or less was asking referees to explain how a player is supposed to tackle legally when faced with a player head on who has bent low going into contact. The gist of his comment was that law makers/enforcers were quick to dictate what was illegal.

A good example of the problem came in yesterday's match between Leicester Tigers and Quins. Tigers no 8 Wiese faced with a head on tackle against a low carrying Quins forward went low but failed to wrap his arms - personally I couldn't see what more he could have done to attempt a legal tackle. Result a penalty and yellow card. 

What do posters feel about this law. For me the above incident should not even have been a penalty. 
Sponsored Links

Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2021 at 12:43pm
Without having seen that incident, the way you describe it is clear enough. I’d agree it’s not worth a card or a penalty.

The player with the ball is manufacturing the foul. Why should it be rewarded?

With it being rewarded, it only encourages “dull” play, imo.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2021 at 4:28pm
I agree with Sean Edwards, personally I think you should be able to tackle low with the chop tackle so long as it’s obviously not an NFL style shoulder charge.

But basically if a ball carrier is carrying with his head infront of him at hip height, you simply are risking a red card if you go in at a normal height, you’re risking a yellow if you dive at his ankles, or you just let him go past you for a meter and then tackle him side on, losing 2 meters. 

I’m completely on board with trying to reduce the tackle height and stop impacts to the head - but it’s now basically a cheat code to be able to carry with your head low 
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic