Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The wine and beer thread (all drinks allowed!)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 29>
Author
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2023 at 9:24am
It’s a Racing evening for us with friends coming over and steak on the menu.

We’ve got Jacky Lorenzetti’s St Estephe and Pauillac, both relatively young at 2016 and 2019. Remember meeting one vineyard owner (Lussac St Emilion) who said his favourite age for wine was 7 years. Everyone has their own preferences.

Here’s hoping that we’ll be celebrating an unexpected away win in Edinburgh rather than seeking tastes to help us get over the result.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Sponsored Links

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2023 at 9:39am
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

We’ve got Jacky Lorenzetti’s St Estephe and Pauillac, both relatively young at 2016 and 2019. Remember meeting one vineyard owner (Lussac St Emilion) who said his favourite age for wine was 7 years. Everyone has their own preferences.

Here’s hoping that we’ll be celebrating an unexpected away win in Edinburgh rather than seeking tastes to help us get over the result.

Don't forget if you need any tips our resident tipster is available at his usual rate. What type of steaks may I ask. Two good reds to accompany. Have a good evening. 
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2023 at 10:13am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Don't forget if you need any tips our resident tipster is available at his usual rate. What type of steaks may I ask. Two good reds to accompany. Have a good evening. 
 Many thanks. Rump is Mrs EO’s preference over sirloin every time. A good marinade ahead of time. Think it’s with jacket potatoes and copious crème fraîche/sour cream and butter plus some green veg.

I could be completely wrong as I’ve become complacent. I know that whatever turns up on the plate will be very tasty. 

Orange cake for dessert, a Gino Da Campo recipe. The family is split on this. EOjr and I tend to prefer the original version that we tried - Sean Hill at The Walnut Tree east of Abergavenny. Mrs EO prefers Gino’s.

BTW, did you see the piece in the papers this week on the fraud perpetrated by a staff member at The Hardwick, on the old Raglan road east of Abergavenny? About 150K was misappropriated by a member of the accounts dept. Found guilty and the husband’s case of receiving stolen goods is ongoing.

We discovered both restaurants thanks to our travels to see Scarlets and at The Hardwick, we found Chateau du Seuil (the welsh-owned vineyard SE of Bordeaux on the banks of the Garonne) that has a Welsh Dragon on all their labels and when last enquired was in The Principality Stadium and even behind the bar at CAP.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2023 at 12:08pm

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Many thanks. Rump is Mrs EO’s preference over sirloin every time. A good marinade ahead of time. Think it’s with jacket potatoes and copious crème fraîche/sour cream and butter plus some green veg.

I could be completely wrong as I’ve become complacent. I know that whatever turns up on the plate will be very tasty. 

Orange cake for dessert, a Gino Da Campo recipe. The family is split on this. EOjr and I tend to prefer the original version that we tried - Sean Hill at The Walnut Tree east of Abergavenny. Mrs EO prefers Gino’s.

BTW, did you see the piece in the papers this week on the fraud perpetrated by a staff member at The Hardwick, on the old Raglan road east of Abergavenny? About 150K was misappropriated by a member of the accounts dept. Found guilty and the husband’s case of receiving stolen goods is ongoing.

We discovered both restaurants thanks to our travels to see Scarlets and at The Hardwick, we found Chateau du Seuil (the welsh-owned vineyard SE of Bordeaux on the banks of the Garonne) that has a Welsh Dragon on all their labels and when last enquired was in The Principality Stadium and even behind the bar at CAP.

Sean Hill top top chef in fairness - done wonders at the the Walnut Tree. Diane & I visited the Hardwick for our anniversary last year. Stephen Terry good chef who got the Walnut Tree a michelin star before branching out on his own. I had not heard about the fraud case.
lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2023 at 1:22pm
Far too much wine last night EO read the signs superbly well. Well done Sir.
In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2023 at 11:19pm
En route to Scarlets, had an overnight stop in Birmingham.

Treated ourselves to a 15 (tiny portions) course tasting menu. It was brilliantly crafted and created, whether to look at, to eat and then to marvel how the flavour combinations had been discovered.

With the drinks pairing, there were 3 good surprises - a nice light 11% Basque white, a lovely Uruguayan white and a cider made of quince. The cider was called Pomme Pomme from Pilton Cider, Somerset BA4 5BY.  Keeved cider made with quince. No idea what keeved is.
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2023 at 5:41am
You've got to spare a thought for the designated driver Big smile
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2023 at 8:16am
I had a chateau armaton fronsac last night v tasty and would recommend , head like a bucket today mind
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2023 at 8:25am
I remember when this forum was inhabited by real men drinking a pint of wife beater not any of this arty farty rubbish and nobody's real name was Tristan or EverhardLOLLOLWinkWink
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2023 at 8:40am
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

I had a chateau armaton fronsac last night v tasty and would recommend , head like a bucket today mind
Fronsac is a lovely spot for good value wine. No real brand premium paid in the wider world. 

Just to the west of Libourne, towards Bordeaux, it’s on the opposite side of Libourne where Pomerol, Lalande de Pomerol and o the SE St Emilion.

What year was it?
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2023 at 8:48am
£15.99 in majestic 2019 i think just did my recycling so not too hand. Up with the lark walked  the dog made toast for the clan and watching the rugby lge who says men can’t multi taskWink

Edited by RR1972 - 18 February 2023 at 8:49am
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2023 at 9:18am

£15.99 in majestic 2019 i think just did my recycling so not too hand. Up with the lark walked  the dog made toast for the clan and watching the rugby lge who says men can’t multi taskWink

I have it on good authority that the dog walked you and you burnt the toast. Ouch
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2023 at 12:53pm

£15.99 in majestic 2019 i think just did my recycling so not too hand. Up with the lark walked while the dog made toast for the clan and left me none. So now watching the rugby lge with a Just Eat delivery. Who says men can’t multi taskWink
Thanks for that and fixed re above Big smile

Edited by Eastern outpost - 18 February 2023 at 12:53pm
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2023 at 1:59pm
My culinary skills taking a pastung (deservedly so lol)LOLLOL
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2023 at 10:05am
Comments on the Scarlets wines from yesterday’s match were unanimously approving. The 1872 red was more universally tested, while the white received praise from even hardened preferers of red.

Some of our fans haven’t yet caught up with the wines so there’s a bit more marketing to be done somehow. 

The food in the Quinnell was great. Hearty portions and tasty. 

It was great to be back
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2023 at 12:19pm
Glad you enjoyed my friendClap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 29>
  Share Topic