Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welsh Squad for South Africa

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by Jones2004 Jones2004 wrote:

Wayne Pivac was asked about Jac Morgan's omission this afternoon...

"We've asked him to improve, if he can, in that area of physicality when he's over the ball, being even stronger than he is."

I’m sorry… what? Over the ball is Morgan’s biggest strength - he’s absolutely amazing at it. I really can’t understand some of Pivac’s selections. 

Wow, I didn't see that. That is baffling!! 
Sponsored Links

Scrletsfan32x View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrletsfan32x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 2:53pm

"We've asked him to improve, if he can, in that area of physicality when he's over the ball, being even stronger than he is."

I’m sorry… what? Over the ball is Morgan’s biggest strength - he’s absolutely amazing at it. I really can’t understand some of Pivac’s selections. 

Fully agree he’s won the most turnovers in the URC this season. If Pivac would of said that he wanted to give new players a chance then that would of been fine. He should feel hard done by IMO. I don’t get what vision Pivac has and what he’s trying to achieve with the squad, especially with the World Cup a year away and the shambolic six nations we’ve just had.
Dic Penderyn View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by Scrletsfan32x Scrletsfan32x wrote:

Fully agree he’s won the most turnovers in the URC this season. If Pivac would of said that he wanted to give new players a chance then that would of been fine. He should feel hard done by IMO. I don’t get what vision Pivac has and what he’s trying to achieve with the squad, especially with the World Cup a year away and the shambolic six nations we’ve just had.

Unbelievable.
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 2:55pm
Lol literally a majority of the squad were better players in 2012 than they are in 2022.

Fundamentally I think Pivac’s job is on the line. 3-0 is sackable after the Italy game.

Basham over Jac Morgan is the surprise for me.
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Parry as 3rd choice hooker? Lydiate in but morgan out? Let’s be honest pivac is clueless no consistency in selection at all

Starting to agree with you.
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 3:09pm

This is for discussion only, so bear with me.

Last season against Sale, who had a number of large Saffers in their pack, Jac was battered somewhat. I thought then that he was a little on the small side. However, this season he seems bigger, and appears to have bulked up, and put on a few pounds. I do notice that he often seems to complain to refs during matches when he feels that he has had his hands on the ball, but the ref doesn't award him the penalty. Under those circumstances, he's often been knocked off the ball, so failing to win the turnover. 

Might be me and my eyesight. I'd still have taken him to SA, he's certainly, on this season's form, probablty the best 7 in Wales. I'd play Navidi as a 6.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 3:36pm

it’s the size and physicality of the Boks. It seems pretty sensible to be cautious with him at his age. Well done Pivac from me
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

Lol literally a majority of the squad were better players in 2012 than they are in 2022.

Fundamentally I think Pivac’s job is on the line. 3-0 is sackable after the Italy game.

Basham over Jac Morgan is the surprise for me.
For me Basham  is more physical than Morgan surely. He’s picking the right players he wants for away in South Africa.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

it’s the size and physicality of the Boks. It seems pretty sensible to be cautious with him at his age. Well done Pivac from me

Jac's the same age as Basham LOLLOLLOLLOL
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by Dic Penderyn Dic Penderyn wrote:

Let’s say physical maturity then . They are both ‘young‘ men but for me Basham has more physicality. Anyway I can see Pivacs logic. He may be called up anyway with training injuries 

Edited by reesytheexile - 18 May 2022 at 3:50pm
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 3:59pm

Let’s say physical maturity then . They are both ‘young‘ men but for me Basham has more physicality. Anyway I can see Pivacs logic. He may be called up anyway with training injuries 

Nonsense.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 4:01pm
Lydiate with his age and injury history won’t cope on those hard fast tracks. They had seb davies starting the last two tests now he is not on the tour? We get this lad over from ulster now we drop him from the squad. Patchell will get injured nailed on
Mugwuffin View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mugwuffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by Scrletsfan32x Scrletsfan32x wrote:

Beggars belief why he’s picked Lydiate ahead of Jac Morgan/Botham. I don’t know why AWJ is going because he needs a rest as he’s had two nasty injuries. Doesn’t surprise me that Foxy hasn’t been included and he’s been nowhere near his best all season, this could be the beginning of the end for his Welsh career. Really hope JBW and Notth start together. They could be a weapon in defence and attack. Ryan needs to push on as Lake is in good form.
Lydiate is the most physical blindside in Wales and will chop down anyone that runs at him on the gain line no matter how big and powerful, and they will be very big and powerful in SA. That’s clearly why he’s been picked. The question is is his lack of mobility going to be more of a factor than his physicality. 
gaffer View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 7:18pm

Nonsense.

Basham is a stone lighter than Jac. Jac 1st in turnovers in the URC, Basham 49th...
What's going on?
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 7:23pm
Bssham is more physical as a carrier jac more physical at the breakdown, motor mouth pivac has gone public on his “candid chats” with both of them to the media.  Shame he’s not so candd on his own many short comings. Btw lydiate can’t even make the ospreys team and he is hardly one for the future. He wAs a too player but his best days are nigh on a decade behind him Great pick wayne

Edited by RR1972 - 18 May 2022 at 7:27pm
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Bssham is more physical as a carrier jac more physical at the breakdown, motor mouth pivac has gone public on his “candid chats” with both of them to the media.  Shame he’s not so candd on his own many short comings. Btw lydiate can’t even make the ospreys team and he is hardly one for the future. He wAs a too player but his best days are nigh on a decade behind him Great pick wayne

You will be getting the  “nonsense “ comment from the dic if you’re not careful 😂 I agree with you that Basham has the greater power and dynamism despite the weight charts. Morgan is just a very good jackaler who I feel the big Boks will smash off the ball. He needs a more rounded game !  Lydiate is a left field choice but he has been injured a lot and if he’s fit he may be a bit of a wild card . Dan must be really chuffed. Like you it’s a worry selecting Dan but I wish him well .
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
  Share Topic