Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Where do Wales stand.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2022 at 2:41pm
I would like to know the same. Apart from a 6 month period around the Lions tour, he has been bang average, and thats generous. There is no aggresion, he flops into tackles and contributes very little around the field. If pivac has him there for his defense maul only, he is relying on the other 7 forwards to do the work of 8. No wonders the boys are knackered at the end of a game
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
Sponsored Links

dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2022 at 8:03pm
I actually think we’re in a good place.

Look back at the Autumn Internationals when we had AWJ, Ken, Tipuric and North out - we were not a very confident team.

But what we’ve learned this season is; 
Ryan Elias is international standard
Will Rowlands is possibly our most Valuable player

we’ve tried Reffel Seb Davies Jac Morgan Chris Tz In the back row - all of them bringing something different - and Reffel looks outstanding more 

Cuthbert and Lydiate have reemerged as International quality.

Owen Watkin and Tompkins look like they can do an international job defensively (not true of Halaholo) 

We’ve learned a lot, made a lot of progress. We can look enviously over the Irish Sea or English Channel but given we know the actual state of welsh rugby is a long way off there. 

But compare us to England, both when we played them and the performances in Summer Tour and we’re probably fairly even, and we’ve got 18 months before WC.

I said in the 6N we’re a different team with Faletau, Tipuric and North. I think we proved that in the 6N when Faletau returned and this summer when North returned we didn’t get the pasting most people thought. 

We are really dependent of key players but who isn’t? If Sexton or DuPont get injured Ireland and France are different prospects completely.

I don’t think you need to be number 1 team in the world 18months or even 2 months before a World Cup to win it. You just need to be close and competitive and get the rub of the green. 
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2022 at 8:12pm
We  know we have one good tight head. We have no top class 9 or a top class 12 and we are desperate for toby f to stay fit. We also know we are really reliant on liam north and rowlands staying fit. We sinply don’t have the depth of squad or have good enough coaches to win a world cup at present.

Edited by RR1972 - 26 July 2022 at 8:13pm
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2022 at 7:06am
Good to see some sense talked about the 60 cap rule. Peter Jackson tweeted "He tweeted: “Something troubles me about the fate of Aled Davies. He spends nine seasons in his native Wales, seven at the Scarlets, two at the Ospreys, leaves in the hope of improving himself, does so, but can’t play for Wales because of their 60-cap rule. What’s fair or just about that?

“Sarries Director of Rugby Mark McCall, not one given to extravagant claims, says Davies has been ‘outstanding, we’re lucky to have him.’ Who’s to say he isn’t currently the best Welsh No 9? Unless Wales find a pragmatic solution, they will end up punishing themselves as well as the player.”

It has emerged that Reffell has signed a "Francis" style contract with the Tigers so we can forget seeing him play for a Welsh region anytime soon. Indeed if he does have a contract like Francis it would allow him to spend 6 years after being capped giving zero service to a region yet still turn out to play for Wales. If anyone needs any further proof that this rule should be scrapped compare that service to Aled's & explain to me why that is right.

Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2022 at 7:36am
All things have to stand up to scrutiny over time and no one should be afraid of reviewing a rule such as this.

Adding in a clause for folk who’ve given lengthy service to the regions over a specific time, as Aled has undeniably done, does appear to have its merits.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2022 at 8:52am
I am glad Reffell doesn't have to come back to a region, he has developed in the Premiership so why should he be forced to come back to a different league just to play for Wales.

I don't agree with the 60 cap rule but the one bit that annoys me is if none of the regions offer an exile a contract so they stay where they are, they still can't play for Wales!!
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2022 at 8:55am
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

All things have to stand up to scrutiny over time and no one should be afraid of reviewing a rule such as this.

Adding in a clause for folk who’ve given lengthy service to the regions over a specific time, as Aled has undeniably done, does appear to have its merits.

I agree, the ‘60’ cap is basically designed to do this but only accounts for the international game. I could see a justification for allowing players who’ve played e.g. 7 years for regional teams or 150 regional caps to be allowed to earn their money elsewhere but still be eligible.

I don’t think it would do anything to improve the regions but would probably help the wales squad
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2022 at 9:07am
Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

I agree, the ‘60’ cap is basically designed to do this but only accounts for the international game. I could see a justification for allowing players who’ve played e.g. 7 years for regional teams or 150 regional caps to be allowed to earn their money elsewhere but still be eligible.

I don’t think it would do anything to improve the regions but would probably help the wales squad

Well Dyniol apparently the rule is not designed to improve the regions it is all for the preparation for team Wales. The over exaggeration of the need for access to players has been proven by the example of Reffell in South Africa. He was the last to join up with the squad, had travelling thrown in and was still able to be the player of the series by a country mile. 

We have got to stop tying one hand behind our backs when it comes to competing on the World stage. If you are qualified for Wales and play for the Moon Barbarians if your the best in your position you get picked. I am in no way suggesting that this would bring a flood of new players on board but one or two can make a huge difference. Even the Irish, when face with a predicament, ripped up their rules & allowed Sexton to play when he went to Racing 92. 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2022 at 4:11pm
Beard an odd one can be great can he rubbish. He is the best line out option wales have. I liked the look of carter but he was poor all last year seb davies always flops for wales when plays lock, the young kids at exeter can’t get starts there yet.  Shame hill doesn’t come back to wales he is a good player
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2022 at 7:31am
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Beard an odd one can be great can he rubbish. He is the best line out option wales have. I liked the look of carter but he was poor all last year seb davies always flops for wales when plays lock, the young kids at exeter can’t get starts there yet.  Shame hill doesn’t come back to wales he is a good player

From memory Hill left under a cloud having been involved in some pretty unsavoury business which saw him close to being arrested. Both he and Ball are playing in Japan & should be involved in selection discussions ahead of the World cup. Both, if at previous levels, would contribute to the squad. Hill was capable of playing the dual 5/6 role which Pivac is apparently a fan of. However this isn't going to happen because of the 60 cap rule. 
Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2022 at 8:21am
The 60cap rule should go and replaced byban agreement with playets/foreign clubs that if a player wants to play for wales then he should be available like the players at our regions. If the clubs refuse, then he doesnt get picked. Simple. The English league is better, so is the French. And our 2vbest SR are in Japan.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2022 at 8:37am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

From memory Hill left under a cloud having been involved in some pretty unsavoury business which saw him close to being arrested. Both he and Ball are playing in Japan & should be involved in selection discussions ahead of the World cup. Both, if at previous levels, would contribute to the squad. Hill was capable of playing the dual 5/6 role which Pivac is apparently a fan of. However this isn't going to happen because of the 60 cap rule. 
It wouldn’t happen anyway. This situation has got absolutely nothing to do with the 60 cap law. I really wouldn’t feel comfortable having Hill represent Wales after what he did plus Jake left Wales for Japan/Australia to be closer to his family. It’s not feasible to be selecting players plying their trade in Japan. With regards the 60 cap law I’ll say it again I’m not sure why lowering national squad training sessions by 50% is going to help Wales’ cause of being successful at test level.
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2022 at 8:38am
Originally posted by Mogwen Mogwen wrote:

The 60cap rule should go and replaced byban agreement with playets/foreign clubs that if a player wants to play for wales then he should be available like the players at our regions. If the clubs refuse, then he doesnt get picked. Simple. The English league is better, so is the French. And our 2vbest SR are in Japan.
Yeah but the clubs can’t accept. But more importantly a few on here are falling into the trap of thinking the national side is more important than the Welsh pro sides.
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2022 at 9:11am
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

It wouldn’t happen anyway. This situation has got absolutely nothing to do with the 60 cap law. I really wouldn’t feel comfortable having Hill represent Wales after what he did plus Jake left Wales for Japan/Australia to be closer to his family. It’s not feasible to be selecting players plying their trade in Japan. With regards the 60 cap law I’ll say it again I’m not sure why lowering national squad training sessions by 50% is going to help Wales’ cause of being successful at test level.

Firstly Steff I tend to agree with you about Hill. However playing in Japan does not seem to harm the South African squad. On the subject of availability for training sessions I think, with my comments above regarding Reffell & previous posts, that I have said enough on that point. 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2022 at 10:14am

because having your best players available for 50 per cent of training and 90 per cent of games is better than not having them at all. Seb davies will never be as good as cory hill , 6 nations world cup
And 3 ai games fall in test windows so why can’t we pick players outside of wAles (if we scrap the 60 cap rule). Ball left to be closer to his family well japan is some 8 hours away from oz in a plane. Im sure he’d come and play in a world cup if we asked him to it’s only a month plus the training camp and it’s not like he is living in aus with the family anyhow. I get the moral issue with hill but the courts have dealt with that and people do deserve a second chance we all make mistakes.

Edited by RR1972 - 28 July 2022 at 10:21am
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2022 at 10:41am

because having your best players available for 50 per cent of training and 90 per cent of games is better than not having them at all. Seb davies will never be as good as cory hill , 6 nations world cup
And 3 ai games fall in test windows so why can’t we pick players outside of wAles (if we scrap the 60 cap rule). Ball left to be closer to his family well japan is some 8 hours away from oz in a plane. Im sure he’d come and play in a world cup if we asked him to it’s only a month plus the training camp and it’s not like he is living in aus with the family anyhow. I get the moral issue with hill but the courts have dealt with that and people do deserve a second chance we all make mistakes.

I take your point about courts & 2nd chance RR but I can also understand the management's reluctance to select someone who thinks its ok to terrorise a young woman & her children. If my daughter brought him to our house I would tell him he wasn't welcome. 

Some things are just bigger than rugby.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic