Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Food & Cooking Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 19>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Food & Cooking Thread
    Posted: 04 February 2023 at 11:27am
Seeing how successful the wine and beer thread has been, started by my old pal RR1972, I wondered if there was an appetite ( boy I'm good) for a food & cooking thread. I personally have learnt a great deal from the wine thread and as a very enthusiastic amateur cook I am all for sharing good & bad culinary experiences if fellow posters think its a good idea. 

Thoughts please. 
Sponsored Links

lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2023 at 11:35am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Seeing how successful the wine and beer thread has been, started by my old pal RR1972, I wondered if there was an appetite ( boy I'm good) for a food & cooking thread. I personally have learnt a great deal from the wine thread and as a very enthusiastic amateur cook I am all for sharing good & bad culinary experiences if fellow posters think its a good idea. 

Thoughts please. 

My favourite meal egg and chips . Simple.
In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
surfing-mtber View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote surfing-mtber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2023 at 11:45am
OK, I'm no chef, but try this one for a moreish snack.
French stick sliced across in 1.5" pieces, lightly toast in toaster.  Pre-heat your oven grill to about 180C.
Take some brie and cut into slices and cover each disc of bread, spread chilli jam on the top and place under the grill.  The chiili sauce melts down through the brie and brie melts into the bread.  Keep an eye on the grill to prevent burning.

My mouth's watering now! Thumbs Up
Joshua24:15
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2023 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by surfing-mtber surfing-mtber wrote:

OK, I'm no chef, but try this one for a moreish snack.
French stick sliced across in 1.5" pieces, lightly toast in toaster.  Pre-heat your oven grill to about 180C.
Take some brie and cut into slices and cover each disc of bread, spread chilli jam on the top and place under the grill.  The chiili sauce melts down through the brie and brie melts into the bread.  Keep an eye on the grill to prevent burning.

My mouth's watering now! Thumbs Up

Sounds delicious!!!!
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2023 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by lofty evans lofty evans wrote:

Thoughts please. 

One of ours is home cooked gammon ham, eggs & chips. We have a webber smoker & the slow cooked 5-6 kg whole ham is mouth watering cooked over apple wood.
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2023 at 12:25pm
Great idea GPR. Lots of chances to spread info. Maybe even extend to places to eat?

Perhaps Lofty will learn to love the french through this and the wine thread 😉
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2023 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Great idea GPR. Lots of chances to spread info. Maybe even extend to places to eat?

Perhaps Lofty will learn to love the french through this and the wine thread 😉

Come on my learned friends teach me the art of scoff.

In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2023 at 7:02pm
Well ..I'm allergic to 
Eggs
Milk 
Wheat 

My meals are pretty simple 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2023 at 10:38pm
I like to cook, made a beef wellingon today, v heavy but v tasty (no mushrooms for me)
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2023 at 10:39pm

Thoughts please. 

One of ours is home cooked gammon ham, eggs & chips. We have a webber smoker & the slow cooked 5-6 kg whole ham is mouth watering cooked over apple wood.
gammon basted im coke was a thing a while back
scarletpimp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2023 at 12:15am
Excellent idea this ,it really is.
I have been on the wine thread just to read,, and marvelled at the knowledge some people have on the forum.
i would like to learn more about wine .
I enjoy real ale , merlot and single malt, BUT cannot drink at home because of my wife's 
condition. She doesn't drink now , so I can, only on my forays to PARC etc. Nevertheless i am open to any tutorial

Regarding food, I do all the cooking and would love to hear of others ideas. I particularly love fish
casseroles(slow cooker),cawl, spag bog, but fav is Sunday lunch.
Simple stuff. And therefore I am keen to widen my repertoire.

Also would be great to find out others experiences eating out in west wales.
We have a great pub down the road (in Llanelli) Half Moon, that does excellent Sunday lunch, and Stradey arms, is good for basic pub fayre, decent quality.
A bit of a notch up is the Fountain in Pontardullais.

Fine dining (only for special occasions), Slice in Skettty  is good. Small, but great quality, obviously on expensive side.

Looking forward to this thread, thanks GPR

I stood yer on tanner bank
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2023 at 8:40am
Thanks Pimp & others for feedback. Slice is a very good eatery Pimp - my daughter took us there a few years ago for our anniversary. I do 70% of the cooking at home & really enjoy it. We are having roast rib of beef today with roasties etc usual Sunday roast for us. My wife makes a great yorkshire pudding to accompany. I am going to open a nice little Chianti to set me up to watch the wonderful French players perform.

RR1972 impressed with the wellington effort - keep it up my friend. Thumbs Up
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2023 at 11:38am

Thanks Pimp & others for feedback. Slice is a very good eatery Pimp - my daughter took us there a few years ago for our anniversary. I do 70% of the cooking at home & really enjoy it. We are having roast rib of beef today with roasties etc usual Sunday roast for us. My wife makes a great yorkshire pudding to accompany. I am going to open a nice little Chianti to set me up to watch the wonderful French players perform.

RR1972 impressed with the wellington effort - keep it up my friend. Thumbs Up
Seconded!

Nice wine link to the match hosts.

Have you ever tried James Martin’s Yorkshire Pudding recipe? If you want plenty of rise in your pud, you’ll love it. He uses sparkling water in the process. Mrs EO swears by it.

Not sure if true yorkies still serve the pud as a starter accompanied just by gravy.

Edited by Eastern outpost - 05 February 2023 at 11:40am
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2023 at 11:39am
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Thoughts please. 

gammon basted im coke was a thing a while back
Nigella Lawswon did a lovely ham cooked in Coca Cola recipe, which was and still is lovely.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2023 at 11:40am
I've got in to this in recent years...as have the other men of the family funnily enough (Alex and Scott).
My wife is just an amazing cook, huge repertoire, and even more so since she stopped working a few years ago, so my chances in the kitchen are not as much as I'd like, but I can't argue with the outcome is fab.

I could regale you with stories of some amazing food from living in the Far East, Asia, North and East Africa over the last 30 years, but the reality is most of those recipes, ingredients and techniques can't be replicated in your next stop or in the UK really.

However I think it's fair to say that as family here we are an absolute mash up of meal preferences (I think the modern word is fusion!)

Ask my teenagers their Top 5 foods and they would say...

-String hoppers with milk rice ( Sri Lanka)

-Nyama Choma - a sort of mixed ribs/grilled meat (Kenya)

-Gratin de crevettes - cheesy prawns! (Morocco)

-Tamil black pepper chicken curry (Tamil Southern India/Northern Sri Lanka)

-Subway Italian melt on French bread (Haverfordwest)--I'm serious...they've never seen a place where you can make up your very own sandwich with anything you want, and with any sauce you want).

For me, my go to food is now fish based...love it.

I'm going to Watamu on the Kenya coast next weekend...quiet, beautiful place...a guy will rock up in the morning and ask us what fish we'd like...we'd tell him, and his crew would go out an catch it...bring it in the evening and off you go.

I don't really go for the fish steak type ( barracuda, swordfish sailfish, tuna etc) but the smaller Red Snapper, King fish, and prawns, calamari etc).

Watamu, and the nearby town of Malindi, have been popular destinations for Italians for many decades, some have stayed and set up some truly amazing restaurants with great vistas and menus too...Papa Remo is a favorite stop.

Menu to search and try ..

Mango Snapper...

Great thread--thanks for starting!

PS--I do love and read the wine and beer thread by the way, but I have absolutely zip to add to it...I have been drinking 'local' for the last 30 years...none of which I'd recommend. Basically, formaldehyde in beer and plop in wine...if you want the best of that world then do let me know!

Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2023 at 11:43am
Like the sound of that Mango Snapper.

Your family have had a great grounding in trying new things as they go about the world. It’ll serve them well in the future.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 19>
  Share Topic