FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Politics Thread.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 85>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Politics Thread.
    Posted: 26 March 2024 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

falling inflation is a bit of a myth, once something jumps in price it never really reduces  back to its previous level does it?

Not a myth but rather 'pulling the wool'.

Falling inflation DOES NOT mean that prices are falling. It means that PRICES ARE STILL RISING, BUT MORE SLOWLY. 

Worth remembering! 

Has 'inflation' ever been negative, meaning an actual fall in in prices? If so, it must be pretty rare!*

*Thanks to the wonders of Google, I have been able to find out that this happened VERY BRIEFLY in 2015 when prices overall fell by 0.1% (great... not) thanks to a sudden reduction in oil prices.

Before this, the previous occasion was in... 1960.

So I think we can take it that it hardly ever happens, and when it does it's pretty tiny. 

“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Sponsored Links

RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2024 at 11:57am
falling inflation is a bit of a myth, once something jumps in price it never really reduces  back to its previous level does it?
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2024 at 9:05am
According to Jeremy Hunt, in the past 18 months (since he’s been chancellor) he presided on the greatest reduction in inflation (which the Tory’s created) and even better - a greater “living standards” for  the people of the UK than ever before.
I don’t know about you, but I can’t say that I have seen an improvement in my living standards in the past 18 months.  All I’ve seen is my council tax go up again by another 7 percent, the cost of running my car (something essential for my job in community health) going up on a weekly basis and my food shopping having gone up about 30 percent in that time.  We will have to find extra funds in a few months time when I come off my fixed rate mortgage and we haven’t been able to afford a family holiday in over 12 months - these were all the things we (as a family) could comfortable afford prior to Kamaquazi Quarteng’s budget.
It’s amazing how these ministers can have the bare faced cheek to say they are the right people to be running the country and that we should be grateful for the past 14 years.
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2024 at 9:56am
Originally posted by Legendinmybathroom Legendinmybathroom wrote:

It’s worrying, that means that there are enough racists active in constituencies to have a say in the politics of the country.

It’s a scary thought. Last year with the Stradey park hotel protests taught me a lot about how racist some people in this town are. 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2024 at 11:10pm

It’s worrying, that means that there are enough racists active in constituencies to have a say in the politics of the country.
too right there, reform are full of them and so are galloways lot, the former hate be people the later hate jews. throw in the catholic hating dup while we are at it, what a mess!
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2024 at 11:02pm

RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2024 at 10:56pm

So it only took the PM 24 hours to call out the racist rants of the biggest Tory funded (very quick by his snail paced standards) and only after many Tory MPs were sent out in the media to play down the racism.
The post office minister even stated this morning on TV that they would accept even more money from the same donor if it was offered.
This Tory party is completely out of control and no matter how bad we think the labour lead WAG is doing, at leat they can not be accused of stoking up racial hatred and using derogatory language to describe certain groups of the population.  
no not racist but gethin potentially  our next first minster is haooy enough to take 200k funding from a convicted polluter and also lobby on his behalf, welsh labour all for a green wales eh? unless your funding themWink. hypocrites not as bad as the torys but certainly not worth voting for either

Edited by RR1972 - 13 March 2024 at 10:58pm
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2024 at 10:47pm

The fact that George Galloway won the Rochdale by-election with a 6000 majority shows just how popular the Government is at the moment.  
They were given an open goal with the stupidity of the labour parties original candidate’s comments and subsequent action of the Labour Party, yet they still managed to lose out to someone who is so divisive (as a politician), flits between different political parties (at a whim) and only decided to put himself up for selection a few days ago, and as a result didn’t have much of an opportunity to do much canvassing.

he won on the back of racist support, racists who hate jews but racists none the less
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2024 at 10:09pm
So it only took the PM 24 hours to call out the racist rants of the biggest Tory funded (very quick by his snail paced standards) and only after many Tory MPs were sent out in the media to play down the racism.
The post office minister even stated this morning on TV that they would accept even more money from the same donor if it was offered.
This Tory party is completely out of control and no matter how bad we think the labour lead WAG is doing, at leat they can not be accused of stoking up racial hatred and using derogatory language to describe certain groups of the population.  
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2024 at 1:11pm
The fact that George Galloway won the Rochdale by-election with a 6000 majority shows just how popular the Government is at the moment.  
They were given an open goal with the stupidity of the labour parties original candidate’s comments and subsequent action of the Labour Party, yet they still managed to lose out to someone who is so divisive (as a politician), flits between different political parties (at a whim) and only decided to put himself up for selection a few days ago, and as a result didn’t have much of an opportunity to do much canvassing.

Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2024 at 12:42am
So the Tory party continue to use inflammatory language and rhetoric about anyone or everyone who has the cheek to have contrasting views to their own.
The country is being lead by mob rule - so every protester is part of a mob.
London and the London mayor is being run by islamists
These are just 2 such inflammatory statements coming from the Tory party and it’s unelected weak leader.  And to make matters worse, they can’t even be seen to be sorry for using such inflammatory statements and for calling out those who made the statements.
It’s clear that this rhetoric is all about trying to appease those MPs on the hard right of the party, who they fear may jump ship to the reform party.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2024 at 9:12am
Originally posted by scarletpimp scarletpimp wrote:

The sad reality of the awfulness and unfairness of this word is  summed by the events of this weekend.
While we chew over and ponder the results of rugby games(including myself), a new dawn, may not bring a new dawn for those surviving by a thread in Rafah. 
Things are already tough there, as aid is not getting through, but now despite international protests, Israeli air strikes have already started, in the north and centre of the city  

Biden and Cameron have at last made their points. .but nothing moves Netanyahu.
The questions is clear, how many people and specifically how many children will die , before their lives have started?
Despite Netanyahu giving assurances that there were areas cleared in the north of Rafah, for those desperately fleeing the conflict, its obvious there are are very few places left for them to go.  
This is their LAST refuge

I have said before in previous posts, this amounts to GENOCIDE, something which the Jewish people once accused the Nazi's of.
Sanctions is something which should and could be considered against Israel. What's good for the Russians, committing similar war crimes, should be applied to Israel.
Unfortunately, I cannot see it happening as Israel has far to much influence , particularly in the US, where Israel is looked on as an important ally, in a volatile region.

If however, there is further loss of life in Rafah, as it looks likely, I fear there could be a real escalations of tensions, with the Saudi and Egyptians threatening "serious ramifications"!
What will now happen to the Israel hostages. ?
Two have allegedly been rescued, but what about the others, numbering 120 ?
There is also the possibility of increased anti Semitic hate crime against Jewish people across the globe.
This is a real worry for many Jews , many of whom, despite wanting to see the back of Hamas, deplore the loss of life in Gaza, and oppose Netanyahu.

Discrimination is an appalling thing, wherever it occurs , and the people of Gaza have lived under the shadow of discrimination for years, with the majority of its exits by sea and land controlled by Israel.
Before the catastrophe of oct 7th occurred, Gaza was an economically deprived area , with incredibly serious social problems .
Much of what happened inside the boundaries of Gaza itself was controlled by Hamas, and not  always for the immediate benefit of the people of Gaza themselves.
They must take full responsibility for what has happened ,knowing there would be considerable Israel response to the massacre in southern Israel, where mutilation and rape was commonplace, apart from the loss of life on that awful day !
No one however expected to see what followed, and the almost total destruction of Gaza itself and generations of families, murdered by continual Israeli bombardment of innocent civilians
We hold our breath for what happens next, but it won't be great I am sure

saudis wont get involved they are a different brand of islam, they hate the iranian backed hamas regime. israel rescued two hostages of pensionable age from that area in the weekend. i have no doubts theyll use that as justification  for their actions on the weekend

Edited by RR1972 - 12 February 2024 at 9:29am
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2024 at 9:08am
interesting weekend israel found hamas tunnells directly under the united nations aud building, prospective labour mo for rochdale accused israel of letting the hamas attack in isrEl take place to greenlight an invasion of palestine, trump says he wont defend nato nations who don’t pay their fair share and galloway is back on the campaign trail,Wink

Edited by RR1972 - 12 February 2024 at 9:08am
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2024 at 7:36am
Small correction pimp the Nazis did carry out genocide - they weren't just accused of it. Genocide is genocide in whatever form or country it takes. It is incredible that the only country to call out Israel with any gusto is South Africa.

Our European politicians should be ashamed for following the American line. I have said before one call from Biden threatening to cut off military, armaments & financial aid to Israel would lead to an almost immediate ceasefire. 

History will judge Netenyahu, Biden & European leaders badly. 
scarletpimp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2024 at 3:59am
The sad reality of the awfulness and unfairness of this word is  summed by the events of this weekend.
While we chew over and ponder the results of rugby games(including myself), a new dawn, may not bring a new dawn for those surviving by a thread in Rafah. 
Things are already tough there, as aid is not getting through, but now despite international protests, Israeli air strikes have already started, in the north and centre of the city  

Biden and Cameron have at last made their points. .but nothing moves Netanyahu.
The questions is clear, how many people and specifically how many children will die , before their lives have started?
Despite Netanyahu giving assurances that there were areas cleared in the north of Rafah, for those desperately fleeing the conflict, its obvious there are are very few places left for them to go.  
This is their LAST refuge

I have said before in previous posts, this amounts to GENOCIDE, something which the Jewish people once accused the Nazi's of.
Sanctions is something which should and could be considered against Israel. What's good for the Russians, committing similar war crimes, should be applied to Israel.
Unfortunately, I cannot see it happening as Israel has far to much influence , particularly in the US, where Israel is looked on as an important ally, in a volatile region.

If however, there is further loss of life in Rafah, as it looks likely, I fear there could be a real escalations of tensions, with the Saudi and Egyptians threatening "serious ramifications"!
What will now happen to the Israel hostages. ?
Two have allegedly been rescued, but what about the others, numbering 120 ?
There is also the possibility of increased anti Semitic hate crime against Jewish people across the globe.
This is a real worry for many Jews , many of whom, despite wanting to see the back of Hamas, deplore the loss of life in Gaza, and oppose Netanyahu.

Discrimination is an appalling thing, wherever it occurs , and the people of Gaza have lived under the shadow of discrimination for years, with the majority of its exits by sea and land controlled by Israel.
Before the catastrophe of oct 7th occurred, Gaza was an economically deprived area , with incredibly serious social problems .
Much of what happened inside the boundaries of Gaza itself was controlled by Hamas, and not  always for the immediate benefit of the people of Gaza themselves.
They must take full responsibility for what has happened ,knowing there would be considerable Israel response to the massacre in southern Israel, where mutilation and rape was commonplace, apart from the loss of life on that awful day !
No one however expected to see what followed, and the almost total destruction of Gaza itself and generations of families, murdered by continual Israeli bombardment of innocent civilians
We hold our breath for what happens next, but it won't be great I am sure

I stood yer on tanner bank
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2024 at 4:50pm
Did you hear sunaks failure to answer any straight question with morgan? d you admit youve missed your nhs targets and econmic targets this year......answer were ging to beat them next year......morgan but what about this year? yes next year etc round and round we went lies avoidance double talk nonsense
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 85>
  Share Topic