Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

End of season contracts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1carmscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: End of season contracts
    Posted: 20 February 2023 at 11:07am
Does anybody know who's contracts are ending this season? 
Sponsored Links

Sandman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2023 at 5:59pm
Piece in WOL with Dwayne saying contract negotiations are underway and some high profile players will be leaving and ultimately replaced with current youngsters and not from outside. Although some outside recruitment is needed. Dwayne only mentions Kal as a high profile player who’s leaving. Any other names being banded around? 
Only one team plays in red. (Sorry, Scarlet)
London Scarlet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote London Scarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2023 at 6:22pm
I read only half of the 20 players out of contract will be retained
N14 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2023 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by Sandman Sandman wrote:

Piece in WOL with Dwayne saying contract negotiations are underway and some high profile players will be leaving and ultimately replaced with current youngsters and not from outside. Although some outside recruitment is needed. Dwayne only mentions Kal as a high profile player who’s leaving. Any other names being banded around? 

If those high profile players are the likes of Foxy, Ken, Shingler etc then that needs to happen now anyway regardless of the financial situation. A good time to invest in our younger stars
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2023 at 6:57pm
I hope the regions have robust dialogue about players that might become available.

A region with too much talent in a position to keep them all might find a match for that player at another region.
Dai Guevara View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai Guevara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2023 at 7:08pm
Right Wil. We have a surplus of scrum halves, centres and hookers, but at the end of the season we may have too few second rows, outside halves, back 3 players, and carrying forwards in general. Time for swap-shop.
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2023 at 7:22pm
Wait a minute , it wasn't that long ago we had to many opensides and within a few weeks we didn't have any fit...
I feel certain positions because of the type of play need strength in depth , others not so ....we also need to start and develop our backs to cover more than 1 position , this will give us greater resources to buy a further player or 2 in positions that all ways end up with high amount of injuries 
crj89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote crj89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2023 at 7:28pm
You would like to think Hardy would be perfect for the Ospreys, if we retained Blacker and Davies that is.

Thomson and Kalamafoni are 2 high profile players, along with Ken, JD, Halfpenny, Lee, Shingler and Elias presumably as he has over 25 caps? Lezana possibly.

I would be disappointed if we lost any one of Wyn Jones, Lousi, Macleod, Gareth Davies, Jonny Williams or McNicholl.

Know I’ve missed a few, but can’t think on the top of my head. Thinks it’s far more important to retain a lot of our hopefully future stars. 

Edited by crj89 - 28 February 2023 at 7:29pm
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2023 at 7:34pm
I guess Patch  is another and perhaps sadly Scott? Samson must be at risk as well and Hardy perhaps as we have Cawdor and Blacker plus the two younger ones ? We shall have to wait but losing quality forwards is really not what we want to see.. Kal can’t be replaced by Josh or Carwyn or in terms of serious carries and ball skills although I fully understand his reasons. It’s an awful time to be a coach as well in this climate 

Edited by reesytheexile - 28 February 2023 at 7:34pm
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2023 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by Dai Guevara Dai Guevara wrote:

Right Wil. We have a surplus of scrum halves, centres and hookers, but at the end of the season we may have too few second rows, outside halves, back 3 players, and carrying forwards in general. Time for swap-shop.
👍
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2023 at 7:44pm
We have too few quality players to give any away to the other Regions and nor do I want any of their outcasts. 
We have a good nucleus of young players but the next few seasons are going to be a huge struggle.
All because of greed by small minded men who want to keep their place aboard the gravy train.

Edited by Why - 28 February 2023 at 7:45pm
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
hoppy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoppy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2023 at 7:53pm
Was there a rumour of Dragons flanker coming to scarlets Ben Fry 
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2023 at 8:10pm

My understanding at moment is, we only  have one hooker signed up for next season. 

Edited by 157cb - 28 February 2023 at 8:12pm
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2023 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by hoppy hoppy wrote:

Was there a rumour of Dragons flanker coming to scarlets Ben Fry 
Noooh 😱….second rows and another 10 please 🙏 
Huwbach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huwbach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2023 at 8:24pm
I read a good piece on this somewhere that a squad of 40 May struggle to field a side with HIAs and injuries - imagine you have 15 players out. It’s all a shambles - how can we be expected to win silverware on this? It will just mean more fatigue, injuries, less performance until the argument for 2/3 regions is stronger. 
Boisbach View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boisbach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2023 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by Huwbach Huwbach wrote:

I read a good piece on this somewhere that a squad of 40 May struggle to field a side with HIAs and injuries - imagine you have 15 players out. It’s all a shambles - how can we be expected to win silverware on this? It will just mean more fatigue, injuries, less performance until the argument for 2/3 regions is stronger. 

Plus some international call ups on top.

The RFC (who struggle now !) will be taking a hit every week with players supplementing the main Scarlets squad.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
  Share Topic