Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Future for Regional / Professional Rugby

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 55>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote philturk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Future for Regional / Professional Rugby
    Posted: 20 February 2023 at 12:29pm
With all of the "noise", rumours and disarray in Welsh rugby, I wondered what people's opinion of the shape of the future should look like?

With so many proposals being thrown around for the mere survival of the game, is that acceptable? Do you want to see 4 regions barely surviving or would you prefer to see 2 or 3 properly funded and able to be truly competitive?

I'll kick off the conversation with my utopia for the way forward:

Disband the WRU control of the Regions - we are 4 businesses in our own right and need financial control of our own futures. 5 representatives on a joint committee, 1 from each region and a players representative too. Negotiate their own funding from URC, TV and WRU for player release and then split the pot equally 4 ways! Each business can increase funding by their own marketing, sponsorship deals etc etc

Full transparency on the financial position of each entity (as England have done since the demise of Worcester and Wasps) this will allow players and fans a level of trust and security.

Regions to gain WAG from schools initiatives to engage with the next generation of players who may be leaning towards football or other sports - Before regional rugby I was fortunate enough to have SQ, Finau, Easterby and Vernon Cooper all attend various training sessions for the school team. Engaging with club training is preaching to the converted, if kids are playing for a club then they are already engaged in the game, enticing children from schools allows us to expand the player base.

Basically its a 3 fold approach - independence and control - financial security - develop and invest in the next generation

The sting in the tail is - sack the dead weight, jobs for the boys, gravy train brigade. If you want business professionals then recruit on merit and a robust CV, not on mates or playing successes from a bygone era 
Sponsored Links

ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2023 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by philturk philturk wrote:

With all of the "noise", rumours and disarray in Welsh rugby, I wondered what people's opinion of the shape of the future should look like?

With so many proposals being thrown around for the mere survival of the game, is that acceptable? Do you want to see 4 regions barely surviving or would you prefer to see 2 or 3 properly funded and able to be truly competitive?

I'll kick off the conversation with my utopia for the way forward:

Disband the WRU control of the Regions - we are 4 businesses in our own right and need financial control of our own futures. 5 representatives on a joint committee, 1 from each region and a players representative too. Negotiate their own funding from URC, TV and WRU for player release and then split the pot equally 4 ways! Each business can increase funding by their own marketing, sponsorship deals etc etc

Full transparency on the financial position of each entity (as England have done since the demise of Worcester and Wasps) this will allow players and fans a level of trust and security.

Regions to gain WAG from schools initiatives to engage with the next generation of players who may be leaning towards football or other sports - Before regional rugby I was fortunate enough to have SQ, Finau, Easterby and Vernon Cooper all attend various training sessions for the school team. Engaging with club training is preaching to the converted, if kids are playing for a club then they are already engaged in the game, enticing children from schools allows us to expand the player base.

Basically its a 3 fold approach - independence and control - financial security - develop and invest in the next generation

The sting in the tail is - sack the dead weight, jobs for the boys, gravy train brigade. If you want business professionals then recruit on merit and a robust CV, not on mates or playing successes from a bygone era 
Is that wales in general or just the Scarlets
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2023 at 3:12pm
Two regions I'd like. East and west. 
Mugwuffin View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Mugwuffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2023 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

You’d like for the club you support to drop out of top level rugby in favour of a newly created team? I can’t get my head around that. 
philturk View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philturk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2023 at 3:53pm
Across the board, you wouldn't have a former driver running an F1 Team purely based on being mates with someone. There's a few exceptions to that rule (Lauda and Eddie Jordan) but they've proven to be very astute businessmen

Personally I question the credentials of Nigel Walker & Ieuan Evans - what successes have they had in the corporate world?
lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2023 at 4:27pm

Your better than this SA14......

In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2023 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by Mugwuffin Mugwuffin wrote:

You’d like for the club you support to drop out of top level rugby in favour of a newly created team? I can’t get my head around that. 

Absolutely.....no bloody way.

supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2023 at 4:45pm
What it needs is never going to happen as its 20 years too late. 
Dissolve the union, create 2 new entities, one pro and one amateur. 
Pro run by pros, Amateur run by the union. 
Separate TV deals, sponsorship deals etc. 
Moneys from amateur union pays for hobby clubs
Pro entity could theoretically choose which league to play in
Union pays pro clubs for player release.

Edited by supertaf - 20 February 2023 at 4:46pm
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2023 at 4:56pm

No but if it came down to it I'd follow the team. 
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2023 at 5:30pm

No but if it came down to it I'd follow the team. 

I wouldn't. 

RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2023 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by supertaf supertaf wrote:

What it needs is never going to happen as its 20 years too late. 
Dissolve the union, create 2 new entities, one pro and one amateur. 
Pro run by pros, Amateur run by the union. 
Separate TV deals, sponsorship deals etc. 
Moneys from amateur union pays for hobby clubs
Pro entity could theoretically choose which league to play in
Union pays pro clubs for player release.

the b and i lge is what could save us, not this urc treadmill towards doom
SVD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SVD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2023 at 5:54pm
I couldn’t possibly support a ‘made up’ team either. No disrespect to anyone who could, but my happiest childhood memories are of following the Scarlets (and fifteen years of working in Swansea with Osprey supporters hasn’t helped, I admit). It just wouldn’t be the same. If it came to it I have two choices who to support, Burry Port, where I was brought up, or Felinfoel, where I have now for lived longer than I lived in BP.
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2023 at 6:43pm
I hear a lot of people expressing concerns about grass roots rugby.(Not on here) I bet they don't even watch any other games. What's making matters worse is All this is going on at that time of year when everyone is suddenly a rugby expert. 😂
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2023 at 7:02pm
What people on here need to do is buy a VR headset then rerun and nausium all of those 'great' games of the last century .....it's unfortunate that we don't see many people looking forward ...we are drinking at the last chance saloon and the fat lady is on the stage .
We have to get this right , and we all need to let go of the past , huge mistakes have been made , money we don't have has been spent and our governing body is being investigated for sexual threats or even worse ....we can't afford to have the idiots remain in charge , but I am not optimistic 
I feel that 
1 The same idiots will remain in charge 
2 The result of the sexual enquiry will be buried and people bought off
3 The blazers at junior club level will still want their free bees 
4 The regions will lose players 
5 Our best players will have success only at french Japan level 
6 We will needlessly spend money on really poor coaches at youth and amateur levels 
7 Future top level coaches will still take contracts with us but deep down they will know that winning anything will be next to non existant and any up and coming player will sign for a big overseas club 
8 Wales could be successful if a top coch can pull together the players from around the world 

And that last point is really the only one that most of the Welsh population care about ...The I'm Welsh for 90 minutes every six nations Saturday ...I will spend my money , I will wear a stupid daffodil and I will mumble my way through the national anthem ...but I have no idea who those 25 players are and I have no idea what club they play for ....
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2023 at 7:41pm
Kentexile View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kentexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2023 at 8:52pm
Pre COVID Welsh rugby was getting to be in a decent place financially .Now ours Cardiff’s and even the Dragons crowds are getting back to where they were before . The financial hits are the COVID loans and the extra debt taken out by the WRU to build the hotel. The trouble is the we can’t afford 4 regions narrative runs on the basis that if something is said often enough it must be true - whereas the actual financial position is better than it has been in many years since professional rugby came along. Whilst some of my best friends are accountants they sometimes just look at the bottom line and forget what a business needs to do to grow and what the actual  purpose of the business is. Sorry an incoherent brain dump but I feel that the WRU  has no interest in the professional game below international level and even that is getting to be a bit inconvenient for them.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 55>
  Share Topic