Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wales v Italy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2023 at 8:03am
reading the stats looks like Italy is the winner...too many basic errors for Azzurri
Sponsored Links

aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2023 at 8:31am
Italy were by far the more enterprising team, but lost because they couldn't do the basic skills well enough under pressure... I suppose if Wales did anything to win (apart from get lucky) they did manage to pressure Italy at times... on the other hand, the way they cut us so often was alarming. Do we have a defence coach ATM? As for attack - I could show the boys how to box kick and chase... not much else was attempted.

The  only coach to come out of that with any credit was Humphreys - the forwards stuck at it pretty well in the tight phases.

Webb well deserved MOM... he controlled the game well when he had the ball. We need Cawdor and Blacker in the squad for the RWC, though - not Tomos and Hardy. 

As for France - they were awesome v England. A telling moment for me was when England scored their try early in the second half - the crowd in the background were going mad, but Borthwick and co. in the foreground looked gloomy as hell... they already knew the game was up and that it was just a blip.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Lincscarlet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lincscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2023 at 8:57am
I think Crowley nailed it in his post match interview- “how does a team give away 17 pens, 5 on the line, and not even get a warning”…..against France, ireland, the AB’s etc the ref gives that penalty try and welsh players get cards. I’ll always take a win, but it didn’t feel like we won more like Italy lost. Give away 17 pens against Ntamack and co and it’ll be another cricket score. 
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2023 at 10:31am
Originally posted by Lincscarlet Lincscarlet wrote:

I think Crowley nailed it in his post match interview- “how does a team give away 17 pens, 5 on the line, and not even get a warning”…..against France, ireland, the AB’s etc the ref gives that penalty try and welsh players get cards. I’ll always take a win, but it didn’t feel like we won more like Italy lost. Give away 17 pens against Ntamack and co and it’ll be another cricket score. 
Bullseye
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2023 at 10:32am
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Italy were by far the more enterprising team, but lost because they couldn't do the basic skills well enough under pressure... I suppose if Wales did anything to win (apart from get lucky) they did manage to pressure Italy at times... on the other hand, the way they cut us so often was alarming. Do we have a defence coach ATM? As for attack - I could show the boys how to box kick and chase... not much else was attempted.

The  only coach to come out of that with any credit was Humphreys - the forwards stuck at it pretty well in the tight phases.

Webb well deserved MOM... he controlled the game well when he had the ball. We need Cawdor and Blacker in the squad for the RWC, though - not Tomos and Hardy. 

As for France - they were awesome v England. A telling moment for me was when England scored their try early in the second half - the crowd in the background were going mad, but Borthwick and co. in the foreground looked gloomy as hell... they already knew the game was up and that it was just a blip.
To me, the game seemed over after about 15 mins, barring a Scarlets like Toulouse comeback.
scarletpimp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2023 at 12:46pm
On the face of it a great weekend. 
Wales avoid wooden  spoon with unexpected win an bonus point.
England hammered on the own  patch by a record 55 points
LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
Thats where the laughing ends,  because it's our turn to be 
turkeys next week, and take an almighty stuffing.
France were excellent,  built through  the athletic power of their forwards and some excellent  backs, who take every opportunity  offered them.
Wales attack was laboured , despite scoring  4 tries. The ball is frequently too slow, and defences set.
Midfield  , defence appalling.  Potential  is one thing , but Hawind / Grady cannot be the nest options  ATM surely!
Well done Rhys Webb, never thought I would say that,  but there surely will be some more changes  for Paris ?

I stood yer on tanner bank
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2023 at 12:55pm
Anyone know if the BBC coverage of today's game has been affected by Linekergate?
Keep the faith
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2023 at 1:30pm

He can’t winge too much the refs saved them from being permanently down to fourteen men.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2023 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by EJPT EJPT wrote:

He can’t winge too much the refs saved them from being permanently down to fourteen men.

I suppose you are referring to the forearm direct to Wyn Jones's throat? I also thought that was a red - as did the TMO, fairly obviously - but she was overruled by the weak ref.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2023 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by greypower1 greypower1 wrote:

Anyone know if the BBC coverage of today's game has been affected by Linekergate?

Probably not, as that seem to have affected football coverage. We'll soon know, though!
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2023 at 3:52pm

Originally posted by greypower1 greypower1 wrote:

Probably not, as that seem to have affected football coverage. We'll soon know, though!

no gabby has tax dodging deals to sell Wink
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Lincscarlet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lincscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2023 at 4:32pm

I suppose you are referring to the forearm direct to Wyn Jones's throat? I also thought that was a red - as did the TMO, fairly obviously - but she was overruled by the weak ref.

Initially I agreed with that, forearm to throat - but on the replays Bruno had his arm up in that position at that height to fend 2 previous players and Wyn runs into it. I whinged like a little girl when sexton milked a card doing that to us (albeit with the ball and running into a shoulder) so no complaints from me that it wasn’t a red. 
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2023 at 4:48pm

Initially I agreed with that, forearm to throat - but on the replays Bruno had his arm up in that position at that height to fend 2 previous players and Wyn runs into it. I whinged like a little girl when sexton milked a card doing that to us (albeit with the ball and running into a shoulder) so no complaints from me that it wasn’t a red. 
So the refs were alright then? Got the critical call right in your opinion? Not a natural position for the forearm and as the video ref pointed out the fist was clenched which means it wasn’t a fend. Poor call, refs were equally bad for both teams in my opinion. 
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2023 at 5:38pm
As an incidental point, Wyn is quite a way from the Wyn of 2019.
Grammar School Boy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grammar School Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2023 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Has not been the same level of player since the SA Lions tour.
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2023 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by Grammar School Boy Grammar School Boy wrote:

Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Has not been the same level of player since the SA Lions tour.
Any idea of the reason?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
  Share Topic