Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Steward red card

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2023 at 1:55pm
Pure accident to my mind. Not a card of any colour.  Luck of the Irish Wink
Keep the faith
Sponsored Links

ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2023 at 3:59pm
red card overturned.
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2023 at 6:59pm
Good! Let some sense come out of this.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2023 at 7:23pm
Rediculous, unbelievable response bar EO Cool which we expect such drivel Big smile
N14 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2023 at 10:30pm
The decision to rescind the red card seems a strange one to me. The way I saw the incident was that it was direct contact to the head with little mitigation. Refereeing of head collisions have become another lottery of the game
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2023 at 7:50am
I personally think its undermining the integrity/competence of the referee...
gaffer View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2023 at 9:48am
The real problem is refereeing inconsistency and that they go into games with pre-conceived ideas about the relative merits of teams and that can impact on decision making. Referees have too great an impact on the game as it stands. 

FWIW, I don't believe there was any intent from Steward, he had little opportunity to change his position. By the letter of the law it is a red, so some sort of sanction was necessary/inevitable in the current climate where player welfare is, quite rightly, a priority. You can argue whether that should have been red/yellow/pen 'til the cows come home. 
What's going on?
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2023 at 10:36am
More female refs , they seem to turn up without any baggage
lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2023 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by Oracle Oracle wrote:

I personally think its undermining the integrity/competence of the referee...

I would suggest it highlights their bias and problem solving.....all the years I've watched refs I've guessed their next move....honestly and so have you .

In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
Seagultaf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seagultaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2023 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by Oracle Oracle wrote:

More female refs , they seem to turn up without any baggage

I dont think its the gender of the refs thats the problem, its the complex and ever changing interpretation of the Laws of the game. 
Whats needed is a return to enforcing the Laws as written, rather than enforcing the ever changing interpretations.
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2023 at 11:47pm
Right decision imo
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2023 at 9:34am
Our Nige explained this very well on his twitter. 

He started off by saying that the first thing you have to do is take the emotion out of your thinking. i.e. If your English your going to say yellow at worst if your Irish your going to say red every day of the week. This was clear with Woodward saying rugby incident and O'Driscoll saying red. You also have to remove '14 v 15 spoils a game' from your thinking also - these thoughts just get in the way of making the right decision.

He then went on to say that the ref has to deal with the facts as he sees them in the moment.  Peyper  felt that Steward could have done more to pull out of the contact. Having made that initial assumption, Nigel then went on to explain the series of facts as described by Peyper that led to the red card decision.  Our Nige said that given that thinking process it was difficult to argue against the red card.

Nige then went on to say that he could also understand the thinking that many had that Steward could NOT have done more to avoid the contact.  And if that's your starting point then the facts lead you to a yellow at worst and maybe even just a penalty.

He then went on to say that people would accuse him of siting on the fence but he said No - the reality is that you will always get these decisions that a ref makes in a smouldering cauldron of a game and there will always be debate in the cold light of day.

I thought that was an excellent summary.

Edited by Rob o'r Bont - 24 March 2023 at 9:39am
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2023 at 9:47am
Originally posted by lofty evans lofty evans wrote:

[QUOTE=Oracle]I personally think its undermining the integrity/competence of the referee...

I would suggest it highlights their bias and problem solving.....all the years I've watched refs I've guessed their next move....honestly and so have you .

[/QUOTE
You are correct , I have felt that sometimes the ref is against us (until SA14 tells me I'm wrong) but that is a different problem ...The point here is that the governing bodies have to back their referees , and stick to their decisions on the pitch , after all there are 4 of them plus back up staff ...if there is an issue with a biased ref then that's a different issue and needs to be addressed by the governing bodies
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2023 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

He started off by saying that the first thing you have to do is take the emotion out of your thinking. i.e. If your English your going to say yellow at worst if your Irish your going to say red every day of the week. This was clear with Woodward saying rugby incident and O'Driscoll saying red. You also have to remove '14 v 15 spoils a game' from your thinking also - these thoughts just get in the way of making the right decision.

He then went on to say that the ref has to deal with the facts as he sees them in the moment.  Peyper  felt that Steward could have done more to pull out of the contact. Having made that initial assumption, Nigel then went on to explain the series of facts as described by Peyper that led to the red card decision.  Our Nige said that given that thinking process it was difficult to argue against the red card.

Nige then went on to say that he could also understand the thinking that many had that Steward could NOT have done more to avoid the contact.  And if that's your starting point then the facts lead you to a yellow at worst and maybe even just a penalty.

He then went on to say that people would accuse him of siting on the fence but he said No - the reality is that you will always get these decisions that a ref makes in a smouldering cauldron of a game and there will always be debate in the cold light of day.

Absolutely, Rob.
lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2023 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

Absolutely, Rob.

I still think on my first observation it was a yellow.

In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
Winston View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2023 at 12:12pm
It was barely a penalty for me 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic