Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2023-24 Squad

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 62>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2023-24 Squad
    Posted: 21 March 2023 at 8:24am
Like many on here I have been pondering the make up of our squad with our enforced reductions. My gut feeling is that we are probably better off than most regions having two areas which other regions may be short of.

Firstly we have a number of squad members who are naturally coming up to their twilight years - this will not have come as a surprise to us so planning will/should have been in place. I include in this category - Halfpenny, Foxy, Ken, Phil Price & Sione.

Secondly we have some players who have had to retire/move due to injury/lack of action etc - Blade, Lezana, Rawlins, Helps, Jeffries, Baldwin.

I guess my point is that we have reductions to our squad which were probably going to happen anyway.

For sure some will leave that we want to keep - Javan for example but so far we are coming through this ahead of our rivals. 

Finally we then have to look to the future & where we stand. Undoubtedly the financial constraints will mean that players from the academy are going to seeing more playing time than historically. Many of us have been calling for this for many years. Looking at the French example most, if not all, of their under 20's squad were full time members of either top 14 squads or Pro D. It is very usual to see 19-21 year olds breaking into the full French squad even with their depth. 

We have young players who are about to be given their first team chances - Sam O'Connor, Lewis Morgan, Pritchard, Caleb Salmon, Griff Evans, Luca Giannini, Ben Williams, Harri Williams, Archie Hughes, Eddie James.

To sum up I guess it is certainly ground zero for regional rugby at the moment but am I as despondent as I thought I would be - unequivocally no. The off field management have to realise that quality coaching is going to be fundamental to our survival. Nobody is going to tell me that we do not have talented footballers who are able to compete but it is going to take very canny management & coaching to do it. 
Sponsored Links

lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2023 at 8:40am
Great post...as you mentioned about not being despondent.....im excited by the exuberance of inexperienced players replacing experienced players. Yes we know we need game leadership and gained experience but for me how many wasted talented players star brightness been diminished by no opportunity to shine at the Scarlets. 

All this mayhem and turmoil may be a blessing in disguise....im super excited at what the future holds for us, there are gems out there but if we don't dig we will never know. 

Bring it on.

In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2023 at 8:44am
1st team next season
Wyn
Elias 
Wainwright 
Morgan Jones
Louisi
Fifita
Dan Davies
Carwyn
Cawdor
Costellow
Mcnicoll
Johnny Williams 
Joe Roberts 
Conbeer
Tom Rogers 

Could be competitive amongst other regions Scottish sides and some SA sides but behind Irish and top SA teams. 
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2023 at 9:22am
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

1st team next season
Wyn
Elias 
Wainwright 
Morgan Jones
Louisi
Fifita
Dan Davies
Carwyn
Cawdor
Costellow
Mcnicoll
Johnny Williams 
Joe Roberts 
Conbeer
Tom Rogers 

Could be competitive amongst other regions Scottish sides and some SA sides but behind Irish and top SA teams. 

Our bench could be made up of :-

Sean, Mathias, Samson, Jac Price, Josh McLoud, Blacker, Dan, Scott Williams with Ioan, Steff Evans & Eddie as back up. Up front our back up will include Steff Thomas, Daf Hughes, Harri O'Connor, Ben Williams.

One top priority signing I hope we make is a 2nd row to give us 4 frontline locks to share the load.

greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2023 at 9:37am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

1st team next season
Wyn
Elias 
Wainwright 
Morgan Jones
Louisi
Fifita
Dan Davies
Carwyn
Cawdor
Costellow
Mcnicoll
Johnny Williams 
Joe Roberts 
Conbeer
Tom Rogers 

Our bench could be made up of :-

Sean, Mathias, Samson, Jac Price, Josh McLoud, Blacker, Dan, Scott Williams with Ioan, Steff Evans & Eddie as back up. Up front our back up will include Steff Thomas, Daf Hughes, Harri O'Connor, Ben Williams.

One top priority signing I hope we make is a 2nd row to give us 4 frontline locks to share the load.

Has Foxy retired or is he considered not good enough or just too expensive?
Keep the faith
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2023 at 9:59am
Is Samson fit and is he being kept part of next year's squad ...There seems to be very little information being published
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2023 at 10:00am
Originally posted by Oracle Oracle wrote:

Is Samson fit and is he being kept part of next year's squad ...There seems to be very little information being published
It's on the politics thread if you ever visited that WinkLOLLOL
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2023 at 10:01am
As a tight end I assume his politics are to then far right Wink
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2023 at 11:24am

I suspect they may reluctantly release Samson. Now constantly injured and high risk. In his prime 5 years ago he was superb but especially in today’s very tough financial world I just very sadly don’t see him staying. 

Has Lewis Rawlings departure ever been announced? 
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2023 at 11:30am
Nicholas will be a crucial player next season with his ability to cover every back position. Still a very thinned out squad. Fitness and injuries will determine how we do. 
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2023 at 12:17pm
Joe Roberts has been excellent this season but I would like to see how a backline of Cawdor, Costelow, Conbeer, JBW, Eddie, Rogers, Jmac would go, lots of power and pace there.
Dai Guevara View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai Guevara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2023 at 12:30pm
If Patchell leaves I think we've got to be looking at signing another quality 10 or a talented youngster who is unlikely to get to much game time with rival regions - Dan Edwards of the Ospreys springs to mind.
Obviously we could do with a big ball carrying second row and a powerful winger, but they will not be easy to find or finance.
Carwyn is showing positive signs of progress but I'm yet to be convinced that he is capable of replacing Kalamafoni, but finding a big ball-carrying 8 is an extravagance until Carwyn is given more opportunity to show what he can do.
scarletabroad View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletabroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2023 at 12:35pm
I am sure I read on one of the platforms he is squatting some ridiculous weights so perhaps they are giving him a full recovery and pre season to ensure the Achilles doesn't go again, and at the moment anyway we are coping okay in the front row
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2023 at 1:28pm

Samson's in good shape ( if that's permissible as a description for a prop), very likely to play this season.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2023 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Samson's in good shape ( if that's permissible as a description for a prop), very likely to play this season.

Thats great news. I thought i heard Dwayne say a few weeks ago that he wasn't far off. 
Tony Clifton View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Clifton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2023 at 2:02pm
Good news about Samson. We either need him or WGJ to be a reliable squad player. Assume HOC and Wainwright make up the first choice 23 right now/next season.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 62>
  Share Topic