Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

15 players released

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Realwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2023 at 8:37pm
I can’t see us signing a outside half with Costello Lloyd and Jones.

Second row we are fairly light in weight and numbers in that position, unless we play Vaea Fifita but I’d rather have him play 6 with Carwyn at 8 and Dan Davis and Mcloed fighting for the 7 shirt.

At Tighthead hopefully Samson can be available from the start of next season that would be like a new signing with Wainwright and Harri O’Conner but only having 3 tightheads seems a little low, I’d definitely say we need 4 props for each side.
Sponsored Links

diego6754 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diego6754 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2023 at 8:40pm
Surprised Daf is off, seems strange as i doubt he was that expensive and we are going to need another hooker during the international periods, if not two. May be Jersey genuinely made him a better offer than us. Halfpenny is a shame, playing really good rugby at the moment, understandable though.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2023 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by Dai Guevara Dai Guevara wrote:

Sadly losing a lot of committed and talented players who I hope will go on to succeed elsewhere if not retiring.
We are keeping a nucleus of experienced players in Ken, Samson, Foxy and Scott who may now be gradually making way for younger but equally talented players
Hopefully we can also complete the squad with maybe a second row, tighthead and maybe a back 3 player and outside half, probably all emerging youngsters, if we are to remain solvent

All those guys, plus a couple of others will need to move on next year to keep to the revised playing budget.

scarletpimp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2023 at 8:55pm
It's a mixture  of sadness and inevitability,  I greet this news.
I was hoping that Shings would have an another  season, particularly,  as he playing  well, likewise Halfpenny.My other concern, echoed by other Scarlets  fans on here, is losing TWO hookers. We have two Welsh Internationals, one at the end of his career, leaving us with one hooker during WC & 6N, unless we sign another. 
A real concern. 
Back row, and second are thin, so I am hoping in hope , we can pick up a couple more signings.
All those who are leaving, I would like to thank,  for their loyalty and commitment  to Scarlets. 
Fortunately,  we will have a chance to thank them properly  a week tomorrow., on what will hopefully  will be a hell of a night of rugby.

We have paid our tributes to Shings in another wonderful thread, but I would like to add my own appreciation of Lewis Rawlings.
Lewis has been with us now 10 years and played both second row and back row.An incredibly  mobile , athletic  forward, who was also a good line-out  forward .Sadly  dogged by serious  injuries in the last two seasons,  ending  his career. My abiding  memory  of him was in the pro 12 final in 2017,when Jake was injured, he was pared with Tag Beirn. Early doors,  when were watching Shings, Lewis took the first three or four lineouts , setting the tone for a never forgotten  afternoon.It says it all.
Thank you Lewis and all those who are departing  Scarlets. 
We wish you well, wherever life takes you,and there will always  be a welcome here at Parc.
Diolch. 
I stood yer on tanner bank
Huwbach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Huwbach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2023 at 10:04pm
I’m sad for them all but wish them the best of luck in the faith that sometimes, adversity leads to greater things. 

Regardless of this terrible situation, I honestly believe we are the strongest region to survive this financial onslaught because of the ongoing commitment of the board, the business savvy Simon and some deep seated crystal magic of West Wales and the power it holds. I’m not joking, I didn’t even grow up there. 

Onwards…

Edited by Huwbach - 21 April 2023 at 10:05pm
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2023 at 10:15pm
Surprised Foxy hasn’t gone unless he’s in contract. Plenty of centres there. 
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2023 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

Surprised Foxy hasn’t gone unless he’s in contract. Plenty of centres there. 

He has another year on his contract.
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2023 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

This is a shame, but not surprising in the current economic situation. Our thanks go to all the players released or retiring. 

I agree that releasing two hookers is a bit surprising, especially as both Ken and Ryan are likely to be in the Wales squad for the RWC... and I doubt that Ken will play very much longer. 

Ken will play another season.
lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2023 at 11:13pm
On the Eve of the judgement day....judgement has been past on 15 players.

I hate these announcements, these guys wore a Scarlet Jersey and for that , as a useless nobody I'm gratefully they did. Faces that created confidence when they stepped on the pitch are leaving. Maybe because its time to retire, maybe because of different ambitions...maybe it doesn't bloody matter, we all have players in that 15 we are sad to leave.

What do you say at these moments,  each and everyone of them have parents and family who wanted the very best for their Scarlet hero's,  so for them, all of them, thankyou for your commitment,  your effort and desire to play in Scarlet,  if it was my club no one who desires the Jersey would ever leave....May I wish everyone of you the best success and happiness in this World in whatever you do and thankyou. 

In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
Mr Lee91 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mr Lee91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2023 at 12:53am
That’s got to be around £1.2-1.4m in wages there and still some big earners (Wyn, Ken, Cawdor, Foxy-avg 350k=£1.4m) under contract likely to go next season. 
After today’s leavers announcement I’m already looking at next years leavers as I’m 100% sure Dwayne is, and thankfully this year he can get the contracts sorted early, maybe before the opening weekend given the late start.

Big Thank You!! and best wishes to all.

Can finally start getting hyped for next season with 95% of our squad known, hoping for 1-3 signings (probably just 1).
Going to be an interesting opening month or two of the season without Wyn, Ken, Elias, Fifita, Lousi, Hardy, Cawdor?, Costelow?, JBR & McNicholl? on RWC rest.

Really looking forward to seeing Sam O’Connor, Lewis Morgan & Archie Hughes next season as well as Price & Jones in the boiler house together.
As long as you win it once, you'll never be forgotten
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2023 at 7:17am
The sad day we all knew was coming. What can you say but wish them all the very best for the future. Many great servants on that list. Pimp above has pointed out the contribution of Rawlins. Before his injuries caught up with him he alongside Aaron set the defensive tone we were seeking. He hit hard and fair & consistently. 

As for losing two hookers I like many was a little surprised. From what I have seen of Shaun Evans he will be challenging very hard top be first choice - two Welsh Internationals or not. Lewis Morgan I think is the academy lad to step up. The WRU may call this progress - I just cannot agree. 
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2023 at 7:33am
Gutted to lose Halfpenny had heard he was being lined up in some coaching/ playing agreement what a role model for our kickers and players in general he would have been. 
Shaun Evans has been superb this season not a bad number 3 hooker.
The reality of what the WRU have done is now coming home to roost. What they have done to young rugby players who are now unemployed because of their bad governance is the real shame of the Welsh rugby debacle. 
Shame on you blazer wearing hangers on who just take and are in it for themselves. 

Edited by Why - 22 April 2023 at 7:34am
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
John View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2023 at 8:11am
A big thank you to all the players leaving, you've all honoured the shirt and given me great memories. 

Yes the hooker position doesn't quite seem to be as we expect but it is about the only position where we seem really short and the chaotic governance of the WRU was always going to stress test this process. That we only have one position where we are worse than a bit short is a tribute to our management. If the other regions are not in a worse place at the start of next season, I'll be very surprised.
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2023 at 9:01am
Originally posted by John John wrote:

A big thank you to all the players leaving, you've all honoured the shirt and given me great memories. 

Yes the hooker position doesn't quite seem to be as we expect but it is about the only position where we seem really short and the chaotic governance of the WRU was always going to stress test this process. That we only have one position where we are worse than a bit short is a tribute to our management. If the other regions are not in a worse place at the start of next season, I'll be very surprised.
If we are short of hookers, are we reasonably stocked at prop? If so, like Ireland did with Cian Healy, we could have a prop multitasking and someone else throwing into line outs. A bit of lateral thought and practice in (extra) training.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2023 at 9:56am
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

This is a shame, but not surprising in the current economic situation. Our thanks go to all the players released or retiring. 

I agree that releasing two hookers is a bit surprising, especially as both Ken and Ryan are likely to be in the Wales squad for the RWC... and I doubt that Ken will play very much longer. 

Ken will play another season.

Do you mean the 2024-5 season?

I always thought he'd want another crack at the RWC in 2023-4, but might well call it a day after that.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
ChrisX View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2023 at 10:47am
with the 15 confirmed departures, I have a squad of around 33 so we need another 5 to take us up to the suggested 38 at least.

Think we need another wing/back 3 player, tighthead prop, second row and 2 in the back row including a number 8. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
  Share Topic