Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2021 6 Nations.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 28>
Author
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2021 at 10:35am
Actually, just my view, but AWJ is the only rucking forward we have.
Sponsored Links

Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2021 at 10:49am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Actually, just my view, but AWJ is the only rucking forward we have.

Sorry but Ball is a far better rucker in the way he physically clears a ruck out rather than pick up, roll or twist a would be jackler. Balls momentum takes him past the ball which clears the way for quick ball for the 9. 
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2021 at 11:14am
Fair enough, Ball is also our first receiver in phase play. He can't really be both.
Rowlands certainly isn't the answer from what I have seen so far.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2021 at 11:18am

Fair enough, Ball is also our first receiver in phase play. He can't really be both.

It's funny that we can develop a large number of quality back rowers, scrum halves etc but struggle with locks.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2021 at 11:34am
Celtic people as rule don’t have as many big atheltic people. Look at boxing can’t recall any decent welsh scots or irish heavyweights. Tommy farr was only 14 stone, need to poach some of the saxons and boks giants😂👍
dyniol53 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2021 at 11:38am
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

It's funny that we can develop a large number of quality back rowers, scrum halves etc but struggle with locks.

It’s actually largely a population effect - there are only so many people over 6ft6in (less than 1%).

Then how many of them will pick up a rugby ball, of those only a portion will have the hand-eye coordination to be quality athletes, even then fewer will then have the discipline and determination to be an international lock.

The reason South Africa and England produce so many more locks is pretty much because they have the biggest playing pools.

Scotland’s 2 best locks in the last 10 years have been from the same family! 

Edited by dyniol53 - 01 February 2021 at 11:55am
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2021 at 12:02pm
what does this forum think about leaving tips on bench and starting with lydiate josh and a toby f back to try and match the irish for physicality?

Can bring tips on when game opens up then?

Only downside is lydaite tends to gas out after an hour and you relying on josh to play 80 minutes of test rugby after what 1 regional game in 6 months?

Looking at the bench options jones and brown offer more in terms of impact around the park , but both can struggle in the scrums then again carre and lewis can't even get in the blues team at the minute!

Wales selection will tell us all I suspect it'll be conservative with a big c and well try to scrape home in a tight game relying on our kickers and our defence more than our attacking play and ability to score trys

reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2021 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Celtic people as rule don’t have as many big atheltic people. Look at boxing can’t recall any decent welsh scots or irish heavyweights. Tommy farr was only 14 stone, need to poach some of the saxons and boks giants😂👍
Some big / tall Polish background people around Llanelli - with the large population living here we need some dating sites set up to improve the marriage blends to aid our diminutive and traditional Pit Pony stock !😉 😂 
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2021 at 12:32pm

what does this forum think about leaving tips on bench and starting with lydiate josh and a toby f back to try and match the irish for physicality?

Only downside is lydaite tends to gas out after an hour and you relying on josh to play 80 minutes of test rugby after what 1 regional game in 6 months?

Looking at the bench options jones and brown offer more in terms of impact around the park , but both can struggle in the scrums then again carre and lewis can't even get in the blues team at the minute!

Wales selection will tell us all I suspect it'll be conservative with a big c and well try to scrape home in a tight game relying on our kickers and our defence more than our attacking play and ability to score trys

I think Lydiate will be important defensively, the man is a machine. I think I am right in saying he made 30 tackles against us!! I also think Navidi will feature.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2021 at 1:12pm
I noticed Biggar had to play a full game at the weekend as I think did Toby . Don’t see the sense in the RFU risking Covid spread like this. It’s irresponsible for all players and I hope it doesn’t lead to international games being postponed!
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2021 at 1:22pm

Interesting calls to be made. I would certainly back Josh to contribute more to the breakdown in tandem with Lydiate. That would mean Tips not featuring because I see Navidi featuring in the 4 back rows selected. If Navidi was match fit, which he isn't, then that would have been a hell of a call for Pivac because a Navidi able to go the full 80 would be a huge weapon combined with Lydiate. 

As for props I see Carre & Brown adding some carrying in the last 20 but if anything happens early to Wyn or Francis it is trouble time. I, like you, am not expecting a free flowing Wales this 6 nations - win at all cost will be the mantra so I am prepared for a fairly conservative gameplan with lots of kick chase & in your face defensive effort. 
Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2021 at 3:24pm
My pack would be wyn,ken,francis,jake,awj,navidi,lydiate,faletau. I dont think tipuric will offer anything as he is too lightweight and ineffevtive in a physical battle. If it was an.open, running game, yes.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2021 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by Mogwen Mogwen wrote:

My pack would be wyn,ken,francis,jake,awj,navidi,lydiate,faletau. I dont think tipuric will offer anything as he is too lightweight and ineffevtive in a physical battle. If it was an.open, running game, yes.

Thumbs Up
dyniol53 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2021 at 3:56pm
Tipuric is our best player it would be madness to leave him on the bench in my opinion

His physicality is as good as any other 7 - he’s just so good at other facets at the game people assume he’s not physical.

His skill in the line out is underrated - and necessary (after using him at 1st receiver for a while Pivac has put him back in the lineout!)

Lydiate, Faletau, Tips with Navidi coming on is the best we’ve got.
dyniol53 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2021 at 4:02pm

I agree.

The places I think there’s some discussion are wing and half backs. 

I don’t really have a preference who starts out of North, LRZ and Adams.

I’d like to see T. Williams starting 9 and Davies come off the bench.

I’d love to see Evans get at least 2 games starting with Biggar off bench but I suspect I’ll be disappointed. 
Jones2004 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2021 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

Tipuric is our best player it would be madness to leave him on the bench in my opinion

His physicality is as good as any other 7 - he’s just so good at other facets at the game people assume he’s not physical.

His skill in the line out is underrated - and necessary (after using him at 1st receiver for a while Pivac has put him back in the lineout!)

Lydiate, Faletau, Tips with Navidi coming on is the best we’ve got.
I’d agree that he does bring more physicality than people realise but what he doesn’t bring is real jackling threat (admittedly he does bring some, but not close to the level of other international 7s). Against Ireland a jackling threat is invaluable as I think we saw on Saturday what happens when you don’t slow down the ball of the Irish sides. That’s why I’d be slightly worried about that facet if he starts and Navidi doesn’t but it certainly is a tight call as Tipuric brings so much quality in so many other facets, as you say.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 28>
  Share Topic