Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2021 6 Nations.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 28>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2021 at 3:23pm
I agree something about the Halaholo & North centre combination feels really quite exciting. 

Where that would leave us defensively is another conversation entirely haha
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
Sponsored Links

Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2021 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

I agree something about the Halaholo & North centre combination feels really quite exciting. 

Where that would leave us defensively is another conversation entirely haha

I think if Sheedy starts then it will be Jonny at 12.
dyniol53 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2021 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

Its crazy to think we can put out 2 backlines of that quality, though you have used 2 george norths Ill let that slide

Pivac has got major headwork picking this backline, the pack picks itself bar navidi comes in

Two Sanjays too. different positions mind. 

One area we are lacking in is jackle threats. 

We all know Bierne, Barclay, Cubby we’re so crucial to Pivac’s Scarlets. But with Navidi back and between Wyn Jones, Tips & Faletau we probably have the equivalent of 2 world class jackle threats around the pitch.

We are at risk of letting England get gainline and quick ball with their big carriers Vunipola, Itoje, Sinkler etc so I think we need to steal some ball to restrict their attack.
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
solva View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2021 at 3:38pm

The English press are saying LRZ is weak under the high ball, and England will target him there. That’s because he’s the ONLY backline player you can be sure Pivac will pick. 

Not just the English press - in The Times today Steve James quotes Stephen Jones 'He (LRZ) is fully aware he has a huge amount to work on in his game, especially as regards there being both sides of the ball to work hard on.' James suggests 'as heretical as it may sound...you wonder if the management are sufficiently concerned about (his) defensive fallabilities to shield him from the inevitable bombardment.' 

James' starting XV would be - Sanjay; LRZ, North, Johnny W, Adams: Biggar, Cawdor; Wyn J, Ken, Francis; Beard, AW-J; Navidi, Tupuric and Faletau.    

Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2021 at 3:46pm

Its crazy to think we can put out 2 backlines of that quality, though you have used 2 george norths Ill let that slide

Pivac has got major headwork picking this backline, the pack picks itself bar navidi comes in

We all know Bierne, Barclay, Cubby we’re so crucial to Pivac’s Scarlets. But with Navidi back and between Wyn Jones, Tips & Faletau we probably have the equivalent of 2 world class jackle threats around the pitch.

We are at risk of letting England get gainline and quick ball with their big carriers Vunipola, Itoje, Sinkler etc so I think we need to steal some ball to restrict their attack.

I think England will win the battle of the gain line, they have good carriers & I think they will get quick ball as they pour into the tackle area. We could well with the old choke tackle. One big plus point is that Underhill isn't playing which means Curry won't be as effective as normal.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2021 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Everyone in the Welsh squad is available for selection.

Read that & breathed a heavy sigh of relief for Halfpenny.

Does that include Tomos Williams?

No Tomos is out injured 
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2021 at 6:00pm

I think England will win the battle of the gain line, they have good carriers & I think they will get quick ball as they pour into the tackle area. We could well with the old choke tackle. One big plus point is that Underhill isn't playing which means Curry won't be as effective as normal.

Hmm good points, thinking through the past 5 years of england clashes they always start stronger and nearly always seem to score first then we claw our way back and our fitness and football skills sometimes see us win it late on.

Why not flip the darn script hit them hard and early? The likes of the vunipolas never last 80 minutes at full speed whereas tips faletau navidi can run all day so we will still have the fitness edge in some key areas. That three quarter line mooted of liam lrz adams north halaohola is mouth watering and surely one of the quickest and most attacking wales has ever field, now thats saying something. If we start well for a chance play keep ball and get it in the hands of these centres , one cant help feeling gaps will appear......Hmmm mouth watering stuff
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
hoppy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoppy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2021 at 6:58pm
When is the welsh team announced 
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2021 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by hoppy hoppy wrote:

When is the welsh team announced 

Thursday midday(ish) 
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2021 at 9:29am
Wales need to play smart and pin England back. I’m not sure the game will be all that interesting. Could be a game of kick tennis where the teams pick their moments. Daly is not that good defensively and Scotland exposed Englands weakness. They struggle to get out of their 22 without getting a penalty of some sort. 
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2021 at 9:36am
Agree EJPT, England will kick, kick, kick until we make a mistake, whether that's from a knock on in the air or a poor clearing kick (ala Foxy a couple of years ago). 
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2021 at 9:49am

Agree EJPT, England will kick, kick, kick until we make a mistake, whether that's from a knock on in the air or a poor clearing kick (ala Foxy a couple of years ago). 
isn't that what we've been doing? england aren't as bad as people are making out and watson looked especially dangerous against italy,we are in this position of a chance of a triple crown on the back of 2 red cards and 2 mistakes(blocking in scotlands try that would have put them out of sight and billy burns missing touch),hope i'm wrong but i think england will win comfortably.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2021 at 9:54am
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

isn't that what we've been doing? england aren't as bad as people are making out and watson looked especially dangerous against italy,we are in this position of a chance of a triple crown on the back of 2 red cards and 2 mistakes(blocking in scotlands try that would have put them out of sight and billy burns missing touch),hope i'm wrong but i think england will win comfortably.

I think we tried a bit more than that against Scotland, albeit with a progressive 10 at the helm in the 2nd half. Watson did look very lively, probably impressed me more than May. 

Yes we are lucky to be in this position but you can only play what is in front of you.
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2021 at 9:56am

I think we tried a bit more than that against Scotland, albeit with a progressive 10 at the helm in the 2nd half. Watson did look very lively, probably impressed me more than May. 

Yes we are lucky to be in this position but you can only play what is in front of you.
agreed.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2021 at 9:58am

Neither team have been good frankly. Watson is indeed a serious threat going forward but their whole back 3 are defensive liabilities (who can forget Watson buying that outrageous step from our very own Beirne). Eddie's selections are being broadly questioned by the rugby public with half backs & midfield being particularly contentious. It has the feel of an unhappy camp. Add in the lack of gametime for the sarries 6 & you get the reason for Welsh optimism. 

Of course how do we go about making the most of this English poor form - a kicking/aerial battle or do we attack them from the off. Much will, of course, depend on how disciplined we are & how our set piece, lineout in particular, stands up. There is no doubt that this game is far more difficult to call today than it was on 13/01/2021 - one team have momentum, the other, well seem to have stalled. 
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2021 at 10:04am
I'd like us, for once, to go out all guns blazing as England will be expecting us to sit back & grow into the game. In LRZ & Adams, if picked, you have 2 wingers who will come off their wings looking for the ball & having North at 13 has paid off. If you're a defending 13 & you look up & see LRZ, Adams, North & Sanjay as genuine options, you're going to be worried as with ball in hand all those players can hurt you.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 28>
  Share Topic