Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2022/23 Squad

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2022/23 Squad
    Posted: 25 October 2022 at 10:04am
I have tried to be totally cut throat in assessing our squad for next season. Long term injuries, retirements in the case of Sione ( age), Foxy ( age), Halfpenny ( age), Owens ( age), Rawlins ( head injury) & Blade ( head injury) have been omitted as have players who do not feature now despite our injury crisis. The result is pretty tough reading.

Back 3 : McNicholl, Nicholas, Conbeer, Rogers
Centres : Roberts, Baldwin, Scott, Johnny Williams, Eddie James
10's : Costelow
9's : Blacker, Archie Hughes

8's  : Carwyn
7's : McLoud, Dan Thomas
6's : Fifita

2nd Rows : Louisi, Jac Price, Morgan Jones

Loose Heads : Wyn, Steff, Kemsley, Sam O'Connor
Hooker : Elias, Daf, Taylor, Shaun
Tight Head : O'Connor, Javan

That gives us 29. Of course I will have missed some but the extent of the recruitment required to get our squad competitive suggests to me that we are looking at a longer term project than one season. Clearly the trend in Welsh rugby at the moment is smaller squads but look how exposed we are at the moment with 16/17 unavailable - where do you draw the line? 

Will the answer be to attempt to sign a small number of proven performers mainly NWQ & make up the numbers from the feeder clubs as and when circumstances dictate - along the lines of Shenton & Griff Evans from Llandovery. 

Sponsored Links

Owen111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Owen111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2022 at 11:39am
Feels harsh to say as hes still young and gets limited game time but Baldwin doesnt cut it for me. 

I'd be keeping Lezana too, dog of a player like Ed Kennedy
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2022 at 12:30pm
  Kalamafoni will be like Titatia if he wants and plays until 38 or 39. 
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2022 at 12:34pm
I think Javan may be off to Edinburgh at some point. 
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2022 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by Owen111 Owen111 wrote:

Feels harsh to say as hes still young and gets limited game time but Baldwin doesnt cut it for me. 

I would like to see Baldwin given a decent run in the side before we talk about getting rid of him. 
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2022 at 1:03pm
I had high hopes for both Cory & Dan Davis, fueled I would admit partly by the fact that they are local boys to me - Llandeilo. I have not given up but the future is looking bleaker for Dan with injuries and not making the most of his chances. I want to see Cory given the same number & type of opportunities as Dan before dismissing his chances. He is a 13 who can finish & is as quick as most in our backline. 
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2022 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

Originally posted by Owen111 Owen111 wrote:

I would like to see Baldwin given a decent run in the side before we talk about getting rid of him. 
How many times have we got the ball to him
Lincscarlet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lincscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2022 at 3:10pm
Let's be honest, we are always going to have an uphill struggle recruiting due to our location, in the middle of nowhere and not exactly glamorous in the way that Cardiff, Manchester or London can be.   Add to that a few years poor form and sod all dollars in the bank and no idea if there will even be 4 regions in a couple of years time and it's got to be a tough job pitching coming to Llanelli to players who presumably have several options.  Did we only recruit Fifita because the other targets all said 'no thanks'?

The light at the end of the tunnel is that the WRU actually come through soon and put some form of multi-year deal in place so we have stability to offer new recruits, hopefully that light isn't a blydi train though.
bydder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bydder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2022 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by Lincscarlet Lincscarlet wrote:

Let's be honest, we are always going to have an uphill struggle recruiting due to our location, in the middle of nowhere and not exactly glamorous in the way that Cardiff, Manchester or London can be.   Add to that a few years poor form and sod all dollars in the bank and no idea if there will even be 4 regions in a couple of years time and it's got to be a tough job pitching coming to Llanelli to players who presumably have several options.  Did we only recruit Fifita because the other targets all said 'no thanks'?

The light at the end of the tunnel is that the WRU actually come through soon and put some form of multi-year deal in place so we have stability to offer new recruits, hopefully that light isn't a blydi train though.
I thought some of the players live in Cardiff anyway?
N11
sospanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sospanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2022 at 6:18pm

Speak for yourself Bermuda boy. I have had to live in several "glamorous" cities including overseas and Cardiff. Couldn't wait to get back to Llanelli and wouldn't swap it for anywhere.
Ymlaen Llanelli Scarlets
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2022 at 6:36pm

A lot of Kiwi’s prefer rural areas like west Wales to big cities like London and Paris. It’s all about money 
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Llanelli1963 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Llanelli1963 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2022 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by sospanman sospanman wrote:

Speak for yourself Bermuda boy. I have had to live in several "glamorous" cities including overseas and Cardiff. Couldn't wait to get back to Llanelli and wouldn't swap it for anywhere.
lol 
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2022 at 7:31pm

I would hardly describe Lincoln as Bermuda the cathedral is nice but steep hill is a killer Big smile
sospanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sospanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2022 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

I would hardly describe Lincoln as Bermuda the cathedral is nice but steep hill is a killer Big smile
Have you not noticed his "location"?
Ymlaen Llanelli Scarlets
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2022 at 9:16pm
LOL
Mr Lee91 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Lee91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2022 at 5:02am
Taking the same approach as you re: no emotions and logic, so I've split my departing players into 3 groups a full/semi retirement, a personal reasons and a release group.

Retire: Halfpenny, Jon Davies, Gar Davies, Kalamafoni, Shingler, Rawlins, Owens, P Price
Personal: McNicholl, Thomson, Sebastian
Release: St Evans, Patchell, T Price, Helps, WGJ, Jeffries, Sh Evans

BACK 3;
Tom Rogers, Ryan Conbeer, Ioan Nicholas, Callum Williams, (Iolo Griffiths, Academy)
Leigh Halfpenny, Johnny McNicholl, Steff Evans
CENTRE;
Johnny Williams, Scott Williams, Joe Roberts, Corey Baldwin, (Eddie James & Iestyn Gwilliam, Academy)
Jonathan Davies
FLY-HALF;
Sam Costelow, Dan Jones, (Josh Phillips & Tal Rees, Academy)
Rhys Patchell
SCRUM-HALF;
Kieran Hardy, Dane Blacker, Archie Hughes, Harri Williams
Gareth Davies
BACK ROW;
Josh Macleod, Tomas Lezana, Carwyn Tuipolotu, Dan Davis, Iestyn Rees, Iwan Shenton, (Luca Giannini, Academy)
Aaron Shingler, Blade Thomson, Sione Kalamafoni
LOCK;
Sam Lousi, Vaea Fifita, Jac Price, Morgan Jones, Griff Evans, (Caleb Salmon, Academy)
Tom Price, Josh Helps, Lewis Rawlins
TIGHT-HEAD;
Samson Lee, Harri O'Connor
Will Griff John, Javan Sebastian, Alex Jeffries
HOOKER;
Ryan Elias, Dafydd Hughes, Taylor Davies, (Lewis Morgan, Academy)
Ken Owens, Shaun Evans
LOOSE-HEAD;
Wyn Jones, Steffan Thomas, Kemsley Mathias, (Sam O'Connor, Academy)
Phil Price
Squad Total: 33 (42 incl. Academy)

Based on this I would imagine we would be recruiting into the senior squad;
Back 3 - 1 or 2
Fly-Half - 1
Back Row - 1 or 2
Tight-Head - 2
And then there'd be a few academy/development player signings on top.

Squad Total: 38/40 (47+ incl. Academy) which I feel is about right, the 40 player mark.

The retiring group is pretty much self explanatory, I'd love to get another season out of a few of them I just don't see them reaching above 85% of their best.
I think both McNicholl and Blade will head back home post-RWC as that's the main reason they came and once it's gone they wont be around for the next one. Similar with Sebastian being Scottish based will help him.
It's difficult when you're taking someone's job away from them and I don't envy whoever is having these conversations with the players.
Steff Evans, Patchell, Tom Price, Will Griff John and Jeffries are not at the required level anymore to be worth re-contracting. 
I really didn't want to put Josh Helps or Shaun Evans in here, unfortunately we have too many quality hookers to keep Shaun as well and unless we see a drastic change is Helps physical game I don't see a place for him.

DISCLAIMER:
These are my own opinions, not any other persons or groups. Opinion is subject to change throughout the season pending performances.
As long as you win it once, you'll never be forgotten
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic