Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

3 teams not 4

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2022 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by N14 N14 wrote:

I agree that not having pro rugby in the capital would be unthinkable. I also think we're in a pretty strong position. Ospreys possibly in the weakest position, given they don't own their stadium, and are very close geographically to Llanelli?

Unthinkable not to have pro rugby in Cardiff,but ok not to have it in the 2nd city??

Gallagher et al. fought so hard for stand alone status because they knew that a combined entity would ultimately be subsumed by Swansea.There's more capital across the Loughor,and the "strong position'is an illusion-pretty soon you'll end up with a Swansea side playing in Llanelli-looking for a new home.

Careful you don't get what you want.
Sponsored Links

reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2022 at 5:44pm
Seems like a strong negotiation point to me IF this was to be considered , is for the Scarlets to have such “a team” based out of Llanelli. We have what 4k proper
 ST holders and the opposition probably similar- so do we have about 8,000 fans or so who are ( acting devils advocate) looking to prevent/ defend/ argue over the future direction of two businesses running at circa £12 million pounds a year? And out of that 8k how many will cry”no change and over my dead body “ mantra? I think about it myself but things aren’t right for the regions 

I don’t know what will be down the road but the numbers do seem to conflict with the emotion. 🤔 Even worse up East with the money going into the Dragons at present and Cardiff being the capital city club. This needs more than a retired Geography Teacher to sort ! 🤔 Could be an interesting summer. Discuss? 

Edited by reesytheexile - 22 April 2022 at 8:22pm
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2022 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Seems like a strong negotiation point to me to have such “a team” based out of Llanelli. We have what 4k proper ST holders and the opposition probably similar- so do we have about 8,000 fans or so who are ( acting devils advocate) looking to prevent/ defend/ argue over the future direction of two businesses running at circa £12 million pounds a year? And out of that 8k how many will cry”no change and over my dead body “ mantra? 

I don’t know what will be down the road but the numbers do seem to conflict with the emotion. 🤔 Even worse up East with the money going into the Dragons at present and Cardiff being the capital city club. This needs more than a retired Geography Teacher to sort ! 🤔 Could be an interesting summer.
It’s rare to have skills in mathematics and Finance if your expertise is Geography. 

Dave Buttress continues to play a blinder. Anyone know what happened to the deunionising of the Dragons that was being talked about last year, with Buttress leading the bid to take Dragons back into private ownership?
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Dic Penderyn View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2022 at 5:59pm

Seems like a strong negotiation point to me to have such “a team” based out of Llanelli. We have what 4k proper ST holders and the opposition probably similar- so do we have about 8,000 fans or so who are ( acting devils advocate) looking to prevent/ defend/ argue over the future direction of two businesses running at circa £12 million pounds a year? And out of that 8k how many will cry”no change and over my dead body “ mantra? 

I don’t know what will be down the road but the numbers do seem to conflict with the emotion. 🤔 Even worse up East with the money going into the Dragons at present and Cardiff being the capital city club. This needs more than a retired Geography Teacher to sort ! 🤔 Could be an interesting summer.

Sounds great-but it's not what I signed up to nearly half a century ago,and it's not something I'll spend my money on.Support a side representing Swansea?Ffs you're having a laugh.I'll leave it to the people with enough time,enough money and a lot less of the cultural baggage that I'm cursed enough to carry!

Tony Clifton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Clifton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2022 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

It’s rare to have skills in mathematics and Finance if your expertise is Geography. 

Dave Buttress continues to play a blinder. Anyone know what happened to the deunionising of the Dragons that was being talked about last year, with Buttress leading the bid to take Dragons back into private ownership?
The Dragons are a money losing entity, I think that’s why Buttress has tried to stay distant to actually committing to a timeline bringing them private.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2022 at 7:01pm
David Buttress does engage well on Twitter tbf and seems a reasonable guy but he is obviously no one’s fool! I just can’t understand the money being pumped in if the consideration is to close them down. It seems a non starter at present 
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2022 at 8:27pm
The Dragons won't be closed down. the WRU don't want to pump more money into private teams than they absolutely have to, but they are fed up with the constant battles with us all, especially since the press is starting to ask more pertinent questions about whether the underfunding of the regions is the reason for Wales' slide down the rankings.

So they either drop one team or go to 2+2 status. It seems to me that the regions are aware of this feeling and there is some panic. Worse than that, the 4 teams are more divided than before, seeing each other as competitors for the status of top 3 (or 2).

As Steff says, we're probably in a better position than Ospreys. We have a stadium, they don't. We're not in a city, but we're so close by road and rail from Swansea that it's not much different than being on the edge of a big city.

Of course, it's very difficult to see how the WRU can impose anything on any one of us, other than the Dragons of course. 
We all have a 2 year rolling contract with WRU to be their nominated teams for URC/EPCR with a notice period that can be activated at any time, of course.

Edited by Wasp - 22 April 2022 at 8:29pm
We're still still here!
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2022 at 8:39pm
I think we are knackered no matter what some say we don’t own the ground the council own it via the loan. We are a small town with a massive history in rugby that is unique across the world but the WRU are made up of very parochial people who would love to see us fail.  
The Dragons are a joke but the WRU would lose face if the team they have funded and backed for so long went under.
The Blues Cardiff are safe no way the WRU will not have region/ club in capital.
Ospreys are the enigma do the WRU want them I’m not so sure but they have the biggest population of rugby players in their region can they be disbanded I doubt it. 
I would hate to be right but I’m really worried 
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2022 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

I think we are knackered no matter what some say we don’t own the ground the council own it via the loan. We are a small town with a massive history in rugby that is unique across the world but the WRU are made up of very parochial people who would love to see us fail.  
The Dragons are a joke but the WRU would lose face if the team they have funded and backed for so long went under.
The Blues Cardiff are safe no way the WRU will not have region/ club in capital.
Ospreys are the enigma do the WRU want them I’m not so sure but they have the biggest population of rugby players in their region can they be disbanded I doubt it. 
This simply isn’t true. 
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
pillory View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pillory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2022 at 9:07pm
The union should be fixed before anyone attempts to "fix" the regions. To me, these are separate matters.

I'd never support a Swansea side. I already oppose the "Swansea Bay"/city region claptrap that has seen them try to annex an area as far as St David's/Fishguard.

It's not only parochialism. It's the experience so far of regionalism. Do we think merging two rivals really results in fans simply laying down weapons, in them simply amalgamating total addressable fan bases? Personally, I think that's fantasy, and would be a terrible shame. Surely dilution is more likely.

Would like to see some factual meat in the "we are in the strongest position" bone.

RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2022 at 11:21pm
Let’s be honest if it goes to two sides cardiff And swansea are in pole position simply based on pooulation. The union maybe favouring us and cardiff at the mo but once pivac gets the boot that can change v quickly. If it goes to 3 the dragins should go or merge with cardiff it really is a easy call to make

Edited by RR1972 - 22 April 2022 at 11:23pm
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2022 at 10:27am
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

This simply isn’t true. 
Well you agree that they will never get rid of Dragons and Cardiff as you’ve stated this before. I know you think that Ospreys are vulnerable but I’m not so sure, so to say it’s simply not true is wrong. 
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2022 at 10:58am
Can the WRU simply get rid of a privately owned company?  Surely all they can do is refuse to renew the contract which allows us to operate in the URC competition. Can we not negotiate a deal directly with the URC and cut out the useless middleman? , 
Keep the faith
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2022 at 11:15am
No but the urc deal is with the wru not the regions. If it goes to 3 all the top players will be centrally contracted by the wru, well see even less of them. Culling a region won’t improve the test team will it? It’ll mean 3 stronger regions but it actually reduces the player pool for team wales. How much does the sevens  team cost? That is a waste of time and we are rubbish at it!

Edited by RR1972 - 23 April 2022 at 11:25am
pillory View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pillory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2022 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Culling a region won’t improve the test team will it?

Totally agree. 
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2022 at 5:31pm
When / if the administrators decide to cull a region they should demonstrate how it would improve the national side. I get how it could in theory improve the strength of the 3 regional teams but the onus is on those proponents giving evidence either way on how it would improve the national side, which is where the money is made. 
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
  Share Topic