Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A bit more rigor needed all round?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jonesyboy1000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A bit more rigor needed all round?
    Posted: 14 December 2012 at 3:11pm
Forum colleagues,

on Friday's I tend to dip into the Scarlets website to catch up on the video news and to see the opinions of the forthcoming game.

It struck me today that these video clips are ridiculously cosy; who is asking the questions? Simon's 10.17 minute clip took the best part of 7 minutes to get around to this week's game and with no real insight to what has been going wrong, just platitudes and lack of any real strategy for improving and moving forward.

Over 6 minutes was spent talking about RP's injury and recovery; we're all devastated for the boy, but professional sportsmen get injuries and you have to move on; a minute or two would surely suffice in terms of questioning the head coach about an injury! Sorry to be harsh, but there's no point speaking to the coaches if they don't tell us anything surely? What's going wrong and who's doping what about it.

The pre-season 'no excuses' way of thinking seems to have been downgraded a little?

Oh, when it came to Foxy's interview there was only 3 minutes 50 secs devoted to RP; (out of 6.58, though!)

I suspect I may be being naiive  about expecting some real genuine evaluation on the home website, but it would be refreshing to really know what's going on.

Two sides referee!
Sponsored Links

scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2012 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by Jonesyboy1000 Jonesyboy1000 wrote:

Forum colleagues,

on Friday's I tend to dip into the Scarlets website to catch up on the video news and to see the opinions of the forthcoming game.

It struck me today that these video clips are ridiculously cosy; who is asking the questions? Simon's 10.17 minute clip took the best part of 7 minutes to get around to this week's game and with no real insight to what has been going wrong, just platitudes and lack of any real strategy for improving and moving forward.

Over 6 minutes was spent talking about RP's injury and recovery; we're all devastated for the boy, but professional sportsmen get injuries and you have to move on; a minute or two would surely suffice in terms of questioning the head coach about an injury! Sorry to be harsh, but there's no point speaking to the coaches if they don't tell us anything surely? What's going wrong and who's doping what about it.

The pre-season 'no excuses' way of thinking seems to have been downgraded a little?

Oh, when it came to Foxy's interview there was only 3 minutes 50 secs devoted to RP; (out of 6.58, though!)

I suspect I may be being naiive  about expecting some real genuine evaluation on the home website, but it would be refreshing to really know what's going on.

I agree with you.
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
dantheman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dantheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2012 at 3:53pm
Huh??? 

The clips are from journalist briefings, journos ask the questions (typically Rob Lloyd and/or Howells) and as journos or their readers don't care about the success or otherwise of the Scarlets and are focused on Team Wales, they predictably asked loads of questions this week about Priestland. 

Not entirely sure what you expect Simon to do - refuse to answer the questions asked of him....
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2012 at 5:27pm
Those clips are PR. I would hope the awkward questions are asked by the MD behind closed doors.
We're still still here!
Jonesyboy1000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonesyboy1000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2012 at 5:45pm
So who do those journos work for? 

I'm not privy to this. 

Two sides referee!
whataguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whataguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2012 at 6:27pm
 I know what gyppo would've told themAngry
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2012 at 6:29pm

I'm not privy to this. 

Western Mail, Evening post, sometimes BBC
We're still still here!
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2012 at 6:30pm
Also Antonia Lamont, the clubs PR lady also throws in the odd question too
We're still still here!
whataguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whataguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2012 at 6:42pm
PR lady? FFS, at this rate - we are going to lose our identity... GYPPO - Do something now!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonesyboy1000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2012 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

I'm not privy to this. 

Thanks, Wasp. The questioning is so poor I presumed it must be an inside tokenistic job.

I'm stunned. So the Sports Editor of these rags / channels sends somebody all the way down to Parc y Scarlets to interview a rather beleagured coach of  the once mighty Scarlets and they come back with the news: Rhys Priestland is going to be out for 6 months and a reminder that Simon Easterby also had the same injury!

Compare this with the hard ride somebody like Arsene Wenger, Roberto Mancini or Martin O'Neil gets every week in front of the media!

Two sides referee!
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2012 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by whataguy whataguy wrote:

PR lady? FFS, at this rate - we are going to lose our identity... GYPPO - Do something now!!

Assume you're attempting sarcasm here??
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2012 at 9:10pm

I'm not privy to this. 

Thanks, Wasp. The questioning is so poor I presumed it must be an inside tokenistic job.

I'm stunned. So the Sports Editor of these rags / channels sends somebody all the way down to Parc y Scarlets to interview a rather beleagured coach of  the once mighty Scarlets and they come back with the news: Rhys Priestland is going to be out for 6 months and a reminder that Simon Easterby also had the same injury!

Compare this with the hard ride somebody like Arsene Wenger, Roberto Mancini or Martin O'Neil gets every week in front of the media!

Don't read the Welsh press much ehh? Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonesyboy1000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2012 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by Gate12 Gate12 wrote:

I'm not privy to this. 

Spot on.

Is it that obvious? I read the Star and Western Mail twice a year. Stopped reading it when I made my debut for the Reds as a 17-year-old and made one small mistake and that's all that was mentioned in the report about me! I lost two teeth from a kick in the face clearing the ball of the line - not a mention. Have never forgiven them, I'm sad to say. I rely on this forum for news and views tbh - plus what I see at the odd match and on the box.
Two sides referee!
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2012 at 11:15pm

Originally posted by Gate12 Gate12 wrote:

I'm not privy to this. 

Spot on.

Is it that obvious? I read the Star and Western Mail twice a year. Stopped reading it when I made my debut for the Reds as a 17-year-old and made one small mistake and that's all that was mentioned in the report about me! I lost two teeth from a kick in the face clearing the ball of the line - not a mention. Have never forgiven them, I'm sad to say. I rely on this forum for news and views tbh - plus what I see at the odd match and on the box.
Sounds like you were at the receiving end of some good hard hitting journalism there mate. No inside tokenistic job on you eh. Smile

Edited by Rob o'r Bont - 14 December 2012 at 11:15pm
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2012 at 5:32am
Originally posted by whataguy whataguy wrote:

What does thei mean?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic