Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

An issue with rugby in Wales

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2022 at 9:24pm
There's 8 exiles events in the first half of 2023 across several venues. Gareth Davies might be the main contact but there'll be plenty of other resources being used from within welsh rugby on the programme as a whole.

I'm not saying we shouldn't be looking at the exiles, and there's some definite successes, but we need to be confident we're not missing what's on our doorstep before using resources elsewhere.
Sponsored Links

Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2022 at 10:05am
Scotty Stevenson was on the Rugby Pod this week and had some interesting views on where the NZRU is having problems, he felt that there was too much of a concentration on a small number of schools which were potentially becoming too professional and taking out the enjoyment elements and limiting the opportunities for those not in those schools.

If they're worried about this with 5 times the amount of registered junior players, twice the volume of registered adult players and double the amount of rugby clubs to Wales then we should be something a bit stronger than worried.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2022 at 11:42am
Noticed Leicester Tigers are having a series of 'try outs' ( sorry, American term) soon.

Basically a sweep of 16/17 year old players that the system might have missed, ignored, rejected...

Set that up in Aberystwyth, Cardigan, Haverfordwest, Carmarthen and Llanelli. Publicize it well in advance through the clubs in each area, bring all the scouts and coaches to each venue, and it should be a real value add...

Even if you unearth one 'nugget' it's worth it, also if there's a few guys who look to have the potential but need an aspect of their game polishing up a bit, let them and their club know what they need to work on, and track them over the next few months...again could unearth a gem.
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2022 at 12:24pm
There's usually about 10/12 teams in Carmarthenshire regularly playing (at most age groups) so could feasibly have a full round of games the same day at the start/end of the season at 1 venue to see 150/180 players in a day playing in their usual environment. Replicate that in Pembrokeshire and then you can see 300ish players in a weekend at 1 age group.

Bumper day for the club hosting too which you could alternate over the age groups and year on year.
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2022 at 12:27pm
The ideas emanating from caring, intelligent, folk amongst the clubs can consistently trump the professionals, for whom this might be too low down the scale. It shouldn’t be so due to the potential gains - talent identification plus reinforcing the links between the community and pro environment. 
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2022 at 2:06pm
Excellent ideas. 
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2022 at 2:34pm
You could host it at PYS, appreciate there'd be concerns over pitch usage so could split the games between the training and main pitch, also gives youngsters an opportunity to play on the ground outside of the tag stuff, and to spend some money.....
Cofi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cofi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2022 at 12:00am
I enjoy watching the Rygbi Pawb live games on Wednesdays(highlights on S4C Thurday) Yes the standard of the rugby varies from different schools and colleges but it on the whole the 17/18yr old talent is there. What happens to these boys afterwards? 
Also I've not once seen an interview with a WRU official. I wonder if they attend any of these matches?
Coleg Sir Gar look as if they could win the cup this year which is promising for us.
scarletabroad View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletabroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2022 at 9:24am
Originally posted by Cofi Cofi wrote:

I enjoy watching the Rygbi Pawb live games on Wednesdays(highlights on S4C Thurday) Yes the standard of the rugby varies from different schools and colleges but it on the whole the 17/18yr old talent is there. What happens to these boys afterwards? 
Also I've not once seen an interview with a WRU official. I wonder if they attend any of these matches?
Coleg Sir Gar look as if they could win the cup this year which is promising for us.

I've attended all the Llandovery games and you see the regional academy coaches there but not WRU unless they go covert with no WRU issue kit on. I imagine the expectation is the information is fed up the chain. And your right Sir Gar are on form this year and I expect them to beat CAVAC who will be their opposition in the final
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2022 at 10:38am
Originally posted by gATE12 gATE12 wrote:

too much of a concentration on a small number of schools which were potentially becoming too professional and taking out the enjoyment elements and limiting the opportunities for those not in those schools.

I think this is an underrated long-term problem for rugby as many of the kids in those top schools then don’t go on to play adult rugby as the school rugby was so much higher quality but has also ripped the fun out of the game.

Without adult rugby you don’t have such strong minis rugby, you don’t have a culture/country surrounded by ‘casual’ rugby - which is actually what creates a bedrock of talent for the pro-game.

Rugby just becomes this sort of weirdly professionalised sport played by a few and watched by the few.

Wales has generally avoided this because it’s history going back 100yrs.

But in England, Ireland, Scotland, Australia rugby is a sport dominated by the well-to-do and supported by the well-to-do. And it works for some of them in the short-term but it remains to be seen what the game looks like in 10-15 years in all those countries.
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2022 at 12:26pm
I think the history and connection that Wales has with rugby is the only thing that's keeping us going at the moment, if rugby had been a relatively young sport to Wales it would have collapsed.

The deep-rooted connection with rugby in Wales should be a huge asset to the game at all levels but somehow we've created conflict throughout the game.

The volume of people that support a local club, pro team and the national team in near equal measures is virtually non-existent, how we've managed to get to this point and how we fix it should be priority number 1 for the WRU.

I don't really buy into the viewpoint that it's a numbers game and we'll never measure up because of population advantages, there are very few team sports where populations equal dominance, it's more about the history of the country with that sport and systems they have in place to keep it near the top. And we're in danger of completing p1551ng away the advantages we have. 
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2022 at 3:06pm
Some sense at last from Dan Biggar -
""I just think we're such a small playing nation and we've got such a small player pool, why would you want to hamstring yourself even further by not being able to choose from Welsh guys playing in England, or having to bring boys back? He obviously loves it, playing brilliant rugby in Gloucester, same as boys like Tommy Reffell in Leicester.

"For me, it doesn't matter whether you're 17 or 37, play for Gloucester, Northampton, Toulon, Stormers, Ulster, whoever you want, if you're deemed the best in your position, if you've got 100 caps or 10 caps, I think we should be in a position where we just pick our best players regardless."

Precisely Dan. Think your old mucker at the Liberty would probably agree with you. 
Realwest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Realwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2022 at 3:33pm
Personally I think it’s great having Welsh lads playing in England the experience they have there is something different than what we can give them.

Think of Josh Adams and Kieron Hardy went away and came back much better.

Granted for a regional side it’s not great to see but as an example if we sent Ieuan Jones to Jersey for this season surely he would have been playing at the right level there.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2022 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by Realwest Realwest wrote:

Personally I think it’s great having Welsh lads playing in England the experience they have there is something different than what we can give them.

Think of Josh Adams and Kieron Hardy went away and came back much better.

Granted for a regional side it’s not great to see but as an example if we sent Ieuan Jones to Jersey for this season surely he would have been playing at the right level there.

Sometimes it's not about right levels but it's about getting players lots of game time, rather than 5 minutes here & 10 minutes there.
Realwest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Realwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2022 at 4:00pm
Agree with this Fscarlet quite often players get on the pitch and don’t have an opportunity to do anything I’d say apart from 9 and 10 you need a good 30 mins to be effective.
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2022 at 4:25pm
I want to see Welsh clubs be competitive in Europe and, preferably Scarlets, win the Champions Cup.

To do that, we have to have some way of getting the players to sign for the clubs and the 60 cap rules does that for a lot of people. 

There needs to be some joy and success for pro club rugby sides in Wales, otherwise the supporter bae is further eroded, endangering ongoing success at international level..
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic