Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Back at Parc

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Back at Parc
    Posted: 05 October 2021 at 10:44pm
One doesn't want to state the obvious, but having had several days to reflect on being back at Parc y Scarlets,the importance of just being here is was immense.  At one point there was a notion, " would we ever get back", would the regions survive ?This is of course of little significance, for during the last 16 months or more, many of our fellow scarlets supporters never made it back, whether through coved or anything else !
Also to hear the names of fellow scarlet players, who have passed during this period, filled me with sadness. 
My own personal jscarlets journey started at Stadey,when I was 7 or 8 yes of age.,initially sitting in the old South stand,from where I saw the 72/NZ game, then as as a teenager and young man standing on the  tanner bank.Thereafter it was the Stradey North stand, and now, the North stand at Parc.

Like many of us, Llanelli & now Scarlets rugby is in our blood. Whatever else's happening,  where ever you were, if the Scarlets won on the weekend,  all was well with the world ( or nearly).

As a result therefore, to be in the Heart and Soul last Friday, to meet some smiling familiar faces,to see so many scarlet jerseys,was a joy! 
Then of of course to see the team running  out again, like other Scarlets have done thousands of times before, but this was different,
Finally to hear Scarlets voices singing  , as we always have, and at the end when the players made their way over to the North stand to show their appreciation for the support, it was quite special! It warned the heart!
Can I also show my appreciation for the contribution of many on this forum, to "keep the fires burning",so to speak ,during our absence. 
I have enjoyed reading many contributions on here.....but I must mention a few to thank, whose knowledge,  level headed approach, is to be applauded..'Rochester', 'Will Chips','Eastern Outpost','157cb',  amongst others ,write well, and their comments on the Lions game, seem spot on.

Anyway, onwards and upwards, despite the obvious  gaps we have at the moment,for whatever reason(departures/injury),I have faith in Dwaine Peel& the board in the medium/longer term.
It's interesting to see how Toby Booth at the Ospreys, has taken his time and recruited well,also developing local talent.
It will hopefully be the same here.
Whatever happens, we will be cheering from the sides lines,  as we always have, and always will!
ITS GREAT TO BE BACK !
I stood yer on tanner bank
Sponsored Links

Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2021 at 4:59am
Great post đź‘Ť
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2021 at 8:16am
Originally posted by scarletpimp scarletpimp wrote:

One doesn't want to state the obvious, but having had several days to reflect on being back at Parc y Scarlets,the importance of just being here is was immense.  At one point there was a notion, " would we ever get back", would the regions survive ?This is of course of little significance, for during the last 16 months or more, many of our fellow scarlets supporters never made it back, whether through coved or anything else !
Also to hear the names of fellow scarlet players, who have passed during this period, filled me with sadness. 
My own personal jscarlets journey started at Stadey,when I was 7 or 8 yes of age.,initially sitting in the old South stand,from where I saw the 72/NZ game, then as as a teenager and young man standing on the  tanner bank.Thereafter it was the Stradey North stand, and now, the North stand at Parc.

Like many of us, Llanelli & now Scarlets rugby is in our blood. Whatever else's happening,  where ever you were, if the Scarlets won on the weekend,  all was well with the world ( or nearly).

As a result therefore, to be in the Heart and Soul last Friday, to meet some smiling familiar faces,to see so many scarlet jerseys,was a joy! 
Then of of course to see the team running  out again, like other Scarlets have done thousands of times before, but this was different,
Finally to hear Scarlets voices singing  , as we always have, and at the end when the players made their way over to the North stand to show their appreciation for the support, it was quite special! It warned the heart!
Can I also show my appreciation for the contribution of many on this forum, to "keep the fires burning",so to speak ,during our absence. 
I have enjoyed reading many contributions on here.....but I must mention a few to thank, whose knowledge,  level headed approach, is to be applauded..'Rochester', 'Will Chips','Eastern Outpost','157cb',  amongst others ,write well, and their comments on the Lions game, seem spot on.

Anyway, onwards and upwards, despite the obvious  gaps we have at the moment,for whatever reason(departures/injury),I have faith in Dwaine Peel& the board in the medium/longer term.
It's interesting to see how Toby Booth at the Ospreys, has taken his time and recruited well,also developing local talent.
Whatever happens, we will be cheering from the sides lines,  as we always have, and always will!
ITS GREAT TO BE BACK !

It brings me great joy just reading that post which quite obviously comes from the heart. You sum up what being a Scarlet means - well done. 
scarletpimp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2021 at 10:23am
Thanks Rochester, thanks Will...yes being a "Scarlet means everything!
I neglected to mention however in my original post however, at this seminal moment, for our  club, and as all, as we come out of the global pandemic, the huge debt of gratitude we owe to all those who came before us...to make make a Llanelli rfc, now Scarlets what it is today.
The players too many to mention, the volunteers, on which the foundations of this club was formed, Last of all the loyal supporters, many coming coming from further west, and those from Llanelli, whose daily routine was  sheer toil, something today, we have no! conception.
To these people, and their sacrifice, we must say thank you.

Finally,how great to see the next generation of Scarlets at Parc.
Great to see that the club is doing everything in its power to ensure that the baton we currently hold is passed on to them !
What ever the world throws at us,hopefully not another pandemic, let us hope that rugby in in Sospan is played here & supported for another 100 yrs?
"Ymlaen y Scarlets",
I stood yer on tanner bank
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2021 at 6:16pm

ITS GREAT TO BE BACK !
Excellent post ! It was brilliant to sit in the stañds and here the Scarlets anthems ,echoing from the enclosureClapClapClap
Mrfwon View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrfwon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2021 at 4:06pm

ITS GREAT TO BE BACK !

Great post Clap

For me, living so far away and watching from the armchair, it was just fantastic seeing everyone in the stands, hearing the atmosphere and the singing. The smiles on peoples faces said it all ClapClapClapClapClapClap
Scarlets!!!
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2021 at 9:38pm
Many thanks for the compliment, which I must reciprocate in reading your heartfelt and eloquent summary.

As we get fewer restrictions and return to things that used to be normal, it’s amazing what a buzz we get; the things we don’t readily get back to doing or being used to doing/experiencing & other things.

There’s a lot to re-learn after all that time doing so few things repeatedly for so long in lockdown etc.

Cheers to all on their journeys towards more familiar things
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2021 at 5:45am
Yes, nice post pimp.
You are just a few years older than me it seems, but you pretty much describe my youth and beyond following my beloved Scarlets.

When I think of our great teams the faces it conjures up for me are:

That team of the 70s conquering Wales and New Zealand
- Phil Bennett, Selwyn Williams, JJ, Andy Hill, Ray Gravelle, Roy Bergiers, Gareth Jenkins, Barry Llewellyn

Then again late 80s/early 90s team of the year, high scoring wonder rugby
- Ieuan Evans, Rupert Moon, Colin Stephens, Ian Jones, Nigel Davies, Phil Davies, Andrew Lamerton, Ricky Evans, Emyr Lewis, Simon Davies

Gareth Jenkins' team of late 90s/early 00s,  first time champs, but oh so close in Europe 
- Dwayne Peel, Stephen Jones, Ian Boobyer, Martyn Madden, Robin McBryde, Chris Wyatt, Dafydd James, Neil Boobyer, Scott Quinnell

Pivacs champion team, but only fleeting 
- Liam Williams, Rhys Patchell, Jonathan Davies, Steph Evans, Scott Williams, Ken Owens, Rob Evans, Tadgh Beirne, Aaron Shingler, James Davies, John Barclay 

When will it be the time for our next great team ?

Edited by ScarletBear - 09 October 2021 at 5:48am
Scarlets before Wales
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2021 at 9:33am
Originally posted by ScarletBear ScarletBear wrote:

Yes, nice post pimp.
You are just a few years older than me it seems, but you pretty much describe my youth and beyond following my beloved Scarlets.

- Phil Bennett, Selwyn Williams, JJ, Andy Hill, Ray Gravelle, Roy Bergiers, Gareth Jenkins, Barry Llewellyn

Agree with all of you about that excellent post by pimp.

Just one little point, Bear - Selwyn Williams was a key part of the Scarlets team in the 70s, but controversially was replaced by Chico Hopkins for the All Blacks game... you probably know that, it's just the way the sentence reads...
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2021 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Originally posted by ScarletBear ScarletBear wrote:

Yes, nice post pimp.

Agree with all of you about that excellent post by pimp.

Just one little point, Bear - Selwyn Williams was a key part of the Scarlets team in the 70s, but controversially was replaced by Chico Hopkins for the All Blacks game... you probably know that, it's just the way the sentence reads...

Yes, I was aware. And the Chico buggered off up north not soon after if I recall.
Scarlets before Wales
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic