Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Back in training

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2022 at 10:10am
Originally posted by Scrletsfan32x Scrletsfan32x wrote:

Job’s for the boys club yet again. When will we ever learn, what experience has Cubby ever had with recruiting players. Whoever signed off on this at board level needs to collect their P45 on the way to the circus.

Thumbs DownThumbs DownClown
Sponsored Links

RFC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2022 at 10:15am
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

Oh for the good old days on here. 

When were they, nothing has changed here ....?

..... and this thread continues too ....

Scrletsfan32x View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrletsfan32x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2022 at 10:18am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Job’s for the boys club yet again. When will we ever learn, what experience has Cubby ever had with recruiting players. Whoever signed off on this at board level needs to collect their P45 on the way to the circus.

Don’t tell me you think this is a good idea?
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2022 at 10:22am

As I said previously I have no idea of Cubby's qualifications or indeed whether this appointment has taken place. I have also stated above that our directors have a decent track record of managing the finances & cannot be accused of not being invested in making the correct decisions. Therefore I will back their decisions 100%.
Scrletsfan32x View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrletsfan32x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2022 at 10:25am

As I said previously I have no idea of Cubby's qualifications or indeed whether this appointment has taken place. I have also stated above that our directors have a decent track record of managing the finances & cannot be accused of not being invested in making the correct decisions. Therefore I will back their decisions 100%.
Fair enough but I disagree, I think it makes us look amateurish and that we are just finding jobs for allnof our ex players for the sake of it.
Mugwuffin View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mugwuffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2022 at 10:29am

Can you explain to us what Cubby’s role entails? I assume you must have some inside information to post that. 
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2022 at 10:30am
At the end of the day, none of us know what qualifications some players do, it may be that Cubby has done a degree in business management with a focus on HR. 
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2022 at 10:42am
Trying to look at this objectively. The money side will sort itself - you have to pay premium for top talent, there is no avoiding that. Cubby in the role or not. 
Where he could help is to attract talent from other regions and perhaps the ‘squad player’ signings. Creating a great environment is part of that. 
He has showed some business acumen with his pet food business, he is an ex player who has been through the process himself. Not all bad.
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't blink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2022 at 11:58am
Originally posted by RFC RFC wrote:

Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

Oh for the good old days on here. 

When were they, nothing has changed here ....?

..... and this thread continues too ....

Oh they were. 
Dai Guevara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai Guevara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2022 at 12:05pm
First of all I think that recently our recruitment of promising young players has fallen off compared to our rival regions, as the briefest look at Wales U18 and U20 squads will show ,and maybe a new initiative was badly needed. I don't know how good an eye Cubby has for deciding who is likely to make it, but he has an infectious, bubbly character that I'm sure will be of help in persuading promising candidates, and of course he is well acquainted with the "Scarlets way" being one of its best proponents for a long time.
Lastly I don't think Dwayne is the type of leader that would accept "a jobs for the boys" appointment without believing that the candidate had real substance to his claim.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2022 at 2:29pm
I dare say the youngsters will not only look upto cubby but like him as well, just not sure he is the right guy to be going into meetings with savy agents or the older pros. Has his role beem confirmed any where? Or is this all just social media led? On a side note if anyone here last week was asked to nominate who our next head of recruitment would be. no one would have suggested cubby so it’s hardly a  surprise there are some reservations about this choice 

Edited by RR1972 - 25 July 2022 at 2:47pm
Realwest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Realwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2022 at 11:26am
Maybe Cubby has not just been ditched and a role will be created for him, I’m massively against the jobs for the boys if it yields no value to the club. 

However in this instance Cubby seems to be a very valued member of the squad and at 31 is still a young man.

At the very least giving him a job as a kit man will keep him in the squad environment which is important for his mental health.

Who knows he could even do a mix of jobs maybe involving coaching younger age groups who can relate to him.

For me he’s a tidy bloke and let’s not just ditch him as soon as he cant offer us anything on the pitch.

EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2022 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by Realwest Realwest wrote:

Maybe Cubby has not just been ditched and a role will be created for him, I’m massively against the jobs for the boys if it yields no value to the club. 

However in this instance Cubby seems to be a very valued member of the squad and at 31 is still a young man.

At the very least giving him a job as a kit man will keep him in the squad environment which is important for his mental health.

Who knows he could even do a mix of jobs maybe involving coaching younger age groups who can relate to him.

For me he’s a tidy bloke and let’s not just ditch him as soon as he cant offer us anything on the pitch.

Well said
Seagultaf View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seagultaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2022 at 1:05pm
On a similar theme Ospreys have appointed recently retired hooker, Scott Otten as Commercial Manager.
scarletabroad View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletabroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2022 at 7:35pm
I believe he is linked with age grade recruiting/ talent spotting
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2022 at 10:16am
He is ideal for that
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic