Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Behaviour of nearly all our supporters..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huwbach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2012 at 9:48pm
Top post Nice coat btw
Sponsored Links

Once a monkey View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Pull !!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Once a monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2012 at 9:58pm
Cheered me up thAt Wil, fair play mate
#George
scarletsrules View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletsrules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2012 at 10:09pm
FairPlay Wil that's one of the best posts on here for a while

Our true passion showed towards the end when we had no chance of winning let alone scoring a try and all you could hear around the stadium was sosban fach and yma o hyd
s.pimpernel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
A.F.K.A.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote s.pimpernel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2012 at 12:03am
Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

Listening to Easterby on the news a few minutes ago, he seemed furious with some of the refereeing decisions, and said he had to keep quiet or risk getting into trouble.  

Back to the players for a minute.  I think its easy to criticise, and some criticism is due, but I would just like to say one thing.  They may be a bit twp at times, but nobody can ever EVER question their passion.  They gave everything yesterday, and part of the reason they 'lost it mentally' must be because they care so much.  Lets harness that passion, point it in the right direction, and get us back on the road to success.

1. I haven`t seen the Welsh news tonight as I drove back to the smoke earlier. So is this to be Easterby`s stance on the utter f**king shambles that was last night; to blame Nigel?

2. So let me get this right. We "lost it mentally" because the players care so much. Have you consumed Llanelli`s entire stash of meow meow Rob?Wink

I`ll question their passion........................they didn`t have any. Every Scarlet player who hit the deck last night, whether legally or illegally became a practice mat for the Os pack and scrum half to practice their River Dance moves and WE F**KING LET THEM AngryAngry. We`ve had weak packs in the past but (and to coin a cheesy phrase from a film) if we were to be second best we`d be the best second best the opposition had had that season. If they had any passion they wouldn`t have let the Os bully them like that and someone would have stepped up to the plate and taken a yellow for the team after about 10mins play.

Where the hell was Smiler? Where the hell was Phil John (probably thinking about much savlon he had to buy today after the utter prison shaming he was getting)? Where were our two much hyped second row imports? The only thing Earle achieved last night was joining the hall of fame of sh**e second row imports along with Louw, Malling and Duley, whilst Ball, although trying his best to look like Eric Lund played more like Eric Sykes.

Not one of our players, from 1-15, was up for that game last night. Straight away from the ruddy kick off, three players fumbled the ball, the Os get the scrum and then we collapse the scrum and gift them 3 points. That was all in the first 15 seconds of the game. Where the f**king hell was the concentration? 

See, I don`t think some of our players do care. I don`t think some of our players do hurt enough when we lose games. I think some of our players only have "Team Wales" on their minds. I think that some of our players know that in Mark and Simon we have weak management because no matter how badly they play, and irrespective of what Simon said about picking players on form, they will not be dropped. That is why the likes of Adam Warren will probably be playing in the Aviva next season.

The only thing I wish  could have harnessed last night was the passion and energy of the forum members I watched the game with. We may all be in our mid 40s and carrying some extra timber but by christ we would have put in a better shift than our front 8 did last night Big smileWink.

In all seriousness, you can work on skills and set pieces but if you have players that have no hunger, passion and hwyl then we may as well call it a day now and save everyone some time and money.
In Pivac we trust
Alun View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Alun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2012 at 1:43am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

The game, the performance and the result was one of my darkest days as a Scarlet supporter of over 40 years.. I've commented on that in various other threads, no point in regurgitating it again...

But please hear me out on this one thing...

I love the Scarlet away support, genuinely.

Seeing the passion and anticpation in everyone's eyes before hand, sampling that almost electric expectation that comes from the venue and the opponents, then rising to the vocal challenge of making ourselves heard, and then of course the somber mind set that descends as the challenge presents itself at kick off. It's a vast tapestry of emotions that ebbs and flows through the stand and me..and it's delicious.

We come in all shapes and sizes, various attires, various backgrounds, various accents but all united in the cause of supporting the team.

When Baz, Brummie and Soli speak I nod and shrug and smile...I've little or no idea what they are saying most of the time, but it matters little. When Multi grabbed me and fixed me with a look that had the intensity of Sean Connery dying in the film The Untouchables it's all enveloping.

Lofty's charm and amicable exterior offers balance to extreme passion, and then he flicks a switch and becomes that extremist himself, and switches it bc again...wish i could do that.
Llandre, Multi, Alun and Rover anf others launching of song after song offers such a timely boost..it's like a friendly arm around the shoulder to hear them pipe up.

Listening to Scarletman and Alun having to assess, verify, vindicate and occasionally (!) disagree (under heavy cross examination) every single ref's decsion was occasionally ludicrous, but thoroughly absorbing just the same (boy those guys put up with some shyte aye!)

Mr and Mrs OaM, who have more cause than most not to visit the Liberty after some extreme provocation in the past, were there. Respect for this, would I have swallowed that experience and come back?
Probably not. It's for the shirt.

Seeing all the familiar faces again, KC, Joss, Swm, Ang, Mark, Zep (Zep, what the helen of troy do you think you are doing wihout a coat mun...strewth you'll catch ewer death mun), many others, and meeting plenty of new ones...terrific.

Being unable to see more than a handfull of games a season I value, even treasure, the days like this when I can join in.

I didn't particularly see eye to eye with some conduct I agree, but I'm not anyone there's dad, or the custodian of ideal away support behaviour, but if I think it crosses the line I'd have a quiet and discrete word *which I did* and it was sorted, no worries.

The truth is ladies and gents, that yesterday was a dark day, I'm not condoning exterme poor behaviour, but I do have some acceptance that those sorts of days bring out the worst in us.

It certainly did in me at the end, I caught myself singing Cheerio to the O's fans with 10 minuts to go...Jesus H Wept...I gave myself a huge uppercut to the chops for being such a d*ck when I got home.

It really, really fu**ing hurt yesterday if truth be told, but the company I had in that hurt, well, was absolutely awesome.

Don't ever let this change.

Top post, and I am truly humbled by the comment regarding a few of us leading the singing - I only do it for the club.

On reflection of the other thread, the point is made and still stands. However, YMLAEN SCARLETS!
Cartref newydd, Stadiwm newydd, Penod newydd, Yr un freuddwyd.

"Does na unman yn debyg i adra, ond mae adra'n debyg iawn i 'chdi."

All statements-My opinions
Nine -Three View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nine -Three Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2012 at 6:05am
Fair post Roy.
YMA O HYD
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2012 at 8:12am
Originally posted by s.pimpernel s.pimpernel wrote:

Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

Listening to Easterby on the news a few minutes ago, he seemed furious with some of the refereeing decisions, and said he had to keep quiet or risk getting into trouble.  

Back to the players for a minute.  I think its easy to criticise, and some criticism is due, but I would just like to say one thing.  They may be a bit twp at times, but nobody can ever EVER question their passion.  They gave everything yesterday, and part of the reason they 'lost it mentally' must be because they care so much.  Lets harness that passion, point it in the right direction, and get us back on the road to success.

1. I haven`t seen the Welsh news tonight as I drove back to the smoke earlier. So is this to be Easterby`s stance on the utter f**king shambles that was last night; to blame Nigel?

2. So let me get this right. We "lost it mentally" because the players care so much. Have you consumed Llanelli`s entire stash of meow meow Rob?Wink

I`ll question their passion........................they didn`t have any. Every Scarlet player who hit the deck last night, whether legally or illegally became a practice mat for the Os pack and scrum half to practice their River Dance moves and WE F**KING LET THEM AngryAngry. We`ve had weak packs in the past but (and to coin a cheesy phrase from a film) if we were to be second best we`d be the best second best the opposition had had that season. If they had any passion they wouldn`t have let the Os bully them like that and someone would have stepped up to the plate and taken a yellow for the team after about 10mins play.

Where the hell was Smiler? Where the hell was Phil John (probably thinking about much savlon he had to buy today after the utter prison shaming he was getting)? Where were our two much hyped second row imports? The only thing Earle achieved last night was joining the hall of fame of sh**e second row imports along with Louw, Malling and Duley, whilst Ball, although trying his best to look like Eric Lund played more like Eric Sykes.

Not one of our players, from 1-15, was up for that game last night. Straight away from the ruddy kick off, three players fumbled the ball, the Os get the scrum and then we collapse the scrum and gift them 3 points. That was all in the first 15 seconds of the game. Where the f**king hell was the concentration? 

See, I don`t think some of our players do care. I don`t think some of our players do hurt enough when we lose games. I think some of our players only have "Team Wales" on their minds. I think that some of our players know that in Mark and Simon we have weak management because no matter how badly they play, and irrespective of what Simon said about picking players on form, they will not be dropped. That is why the likes of Adam Warren will probably be playing in the Aviva next season.

The only thing I wish  could have harnessed last night was the passion and energy of the forum members I watched the game with. We may all be in our mid 40s and carrying some extra timber but by christ we would have put in a better shift than our front 8 did last night Big smileWink.

In all seriousness, you can work on skills and set pieces but if you have players that have no hunger, passion and hwyl then we may as well call it a day now and save everyone some time and money.
Pimp, I think you're confusing being slightly twp, with not caring.  I grant you they were a bit twp at times, but they never lacked passion.  However, their passion needs to be channelled in a more professional way.  I saw a pretty committed Scarlets team, who were just beaten at scrum time, and this had  a huge effect on the side. both materially and psychologically.  

Easterby wasn't blaming Owens for anything by the way.  He was asked a question about all the cardings and he said he would need to see the recording before responding - but the frustration was clear in his face.  On the subject of the reffing, I think Owens had been conditioned to think that as Adam was playing, then the Os scrum would be so dominant that they wouldn't possibly give any penalties away, so when the Os front row came up in the scrum, he just waved play on.  We had also been conditioned by the ref of the previous game against the Blues to be squeeky clean at the contact area, but Owens reffed this totally differently; allowing Os players to linger in front of the ruck, blocking our guys entering it etc.  Khan blocking North at the start of the game, In the last few minutes of the game, look at Gough coming in from the side of a ruck and winning the turnover, look at the same player around the same time going offside in the lineout, sticking his hands in the air as if to say 'thats ok I know I;m offside', but the effect was to totally block Aled T's option to kick.  Owens did nothing.  I could go on.

OK, lets draw a line under the reffing issues, and there were many, lets get back to the performance.  We were murdered in the scrum, and I think the Os overall were a better side (lets give the league champs some credit here), but our boys fought till the bitter end.  On my point about losing it mentally because they cared too much - well you could put it like that if you like, but try looking at it another way - if they didn't care, would they have lost the plot or would they have just said 'sod this for a game of cowboys'.  I think a team that doesn't care wouldn't have lost the plot.

Edited by Rob o'r Bont - 28 December 2012 at 8:18am
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2012 at 8:43am
Time to leave the last game go and look forward to 2013. After all a few learned posters have been quoted as 2013 as our year.

In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2012 at 9:15am
Good point Lofty.  Lest we forget...........

1 Ulster 11 47
2 Scarlets 12 38
3 Munster 11 33
4 Glasgow 11 32
5 Ospreys 11 31
6 Leinster 11 31
7 Blues 12 24
8 Treviso 11 23
9 Edinbrgh 11 21
10 Connacht 11 16
11 D'gons 11 14
12 Zebre 11 5

As any good fighter pilot will tell you, there's no point worrying about what just happened, you have to focus on whats about to happen.   We are in a better place at Christmas, than we have been in many a year.  Who will really care about the game that has just gone if we make the playoffs.  Lets get there and smash the Os at The Parc in a home semi. Smile

Edited by Rob o'r Bont - 28 December 2012 at 9:16am
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2012 at 10:23am
Originally posted by wetweatherwinger wetweatherwinger wrote:

Had a chat with a Scarlets fan in Landore Social before the game and was struck by his enthusiasm in supporting te Scarlets. The conversation went along the lines of me thinking it would be close but him recalling Exeter x 2 and the Blues games and stating he was concerned.
He left me with a feeling of admiration that it was more than just the game it was a lifestyle. Loyalty beyond question.
The singing was quite impressive also.
Shame your team let you down, but rugby is cyclical and hopefully your form will return, Welsh rugby needs FOUR strong regions!
One of many good posts in this topic.
Once a monkey View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Pull !!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Once a monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2012 at 10:29am
Rob, we have Ulster away next, O's have Zebra and Dragons. We will not be second for long, and perhaps do not deserve to be based on recent form. Let us be honest, we have none, a ruderless ship devoid of any game plan, inventiveness and channelled passion/hwyl, call it what you want.

What is most alarming for me is that we failed to learn any lessons from the home defeat to the O's. Pretty damning stuff
#George
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2012 at 10:32am
I agree withs that rob about Adam playing and refs in general put his reputation ahead of him.

But also, I notice every single scrum that goes down with the ospreys ALL EIGHT PLAYERS shrug their shoulders pointing at the opposition to the linesmen, this wins them many a pen I feel. We all know there are extreme few refs that know anything about the scrums...the players should know that too. It's as if humphreys has tuned the pack, whenever the scrum goes down, act innocent, act as if you were doing it right even if they were smashed (Paul James is the king at that) but for the reset, they have put that doubt in the refs mind and if it's 50/50, they win the call. We should start doing that especially now we have the makings of a decent scrum. Many a time this season, our scrums gone forward and collapsed and SHOULD have resulted in a pen only to have it reset. I'm convinced if we adopted what the ospreys pack do, we could start winning tight calls in the scrum. No harm in trying. It works very well for ospreys and has done for few seasons.
geordie scarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geordie scarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2012 at 10:58am

The game, the performance and the result was one of my darkest days as a Scarlet supporter of over 40 years.. I've commented on that in various other threads, no point in regurgitating it again...

But please hear me out on this one thing...

I love the Scarlet away support, genuinely.

Seeing the passion and anticpation in everyone's eyes before hand, sampling that almost electric expectation that comes from the venue and the opponents, then rising to the vocal challenge of making ourselves heard, and then of course the somber mind set that descends as the challenge presents itself at kick off. It's a vast tapestry of emotions that ebbs and flows through the stand and me..and it's delicious.

We come in all shapes and sizes, various attires, various backgrounds, various accents but all united in the cause of supporting the team.

When Baz, Brummie and Soli speak I nod and shrug and smile...I've little or no idea what they are saying most of the time, but it matters little. When Multi grabbed me and fixed me with a look that had the intensity of Sean Connery dying in the film The Untouchables it's all enveloping.

Lofty's charm and amicable exterior offers balance to extreme passion, and then he flicks a switch and becomes that extremist himself, and switches it bc again...wish i could do that.
Llandre, Multi, Alun and Rover anf others launching of song after song offers such a timely boost..it's like a friendly arm around the shoulder to hear them pipe up.

Listening to Scarletman and Alun having to assess, verify, vindicate and occasionally (!) disagree (under heavy cross examination) every single ref's decsion was occasionally ludicrous, but thoroughly absorbing just the same (boy those guys put up with some shyte aye!)

Mr and Mrs OaM, who have more cause than most not to visit the Liberty after some extreme provocation in the past, were there. Respect for this, would I have swallowed that experience and come back?
Probably not. It's for the shirt.

Seeing all the familiar faces again, KC, Joss, Swm, Ang, Mark, Zep (Zep, what the helen of troy do you think you are doing wihout a coat mun...strewth you'll catch ewer death mun), many others, and meeting plenty of new ones...terrific.

Being unable to see more than a handfull of games a season I value, even treasure, the days like this when I can join in.

I didn't particularly see eye to eye with some conduct I agree, but I'm not anyone there's dad, or the custodian of ideal away support behaviour, but if I think it crosses the line I'd have a quiet and discrete word *which I did* and it was sorted, no worries.

The truth is ladies and gents, that yesterday was a dark day, I'm not condoning exterme poor behaviour, but I do have some acceptance that those sorts of days bring out the worst in us.

It certainly did in me at the end, I caught myself singing Cheerio to the O's fans with 10 minuts to go...Jesus H Wept...I gave myself a huge uppercut to the chops for being such a d*ck when I got home.

It really, really fu**ing hurt yesterday if truth be told, but the company I had in that hurt, well, was absolutely awesome.

Don't ever let this change.

Great post Wil Clap

I wasn,t at the liberty but just want to add a few comments about our supporters. Last away game i went to was Exeter and i have my own view on our support. Quite simply it,s the best, yes i am biased, but in Exeter i took 3 guys with me, 2 of which had never been to a Scarlets game and they still talk about our superb support now. The singing after, everyone in club colours, the friendliness shown . One said " Any rugby club in the country would snap your hand off for support like this "
Add to the above the lads who do the charity stuff with me, they love the Scarlets and the supporters as well. Still talk about it, wear the stuff they bought etc
As this is about the supporters i just wanted to add my experiences, the rugby side of things is on other threads

Wil , you have as always, eloquently nailed this post with an air of common sense and also highlighted the Scarlet family and what this club means to supporters. For the 1st time since Boxing day night and other than wind, due to sprout excess.....i have smiled ! Clap

Toontotown challenges have now raised £101,321 for charity www.toontotown.co.uk

You cant buy Scarlet culture........You have to breed Scarlet culture
Proud member of Herman Tours
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2012 at 11:04am
Cheers mate (in case you were wondering i don't really understamd much of what you say either fella )
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2012 at 11:05am

Cheers mate (in case you were wondering i don't really understamd much of what you say either fella )

"Toon" means "town".

That's all I know, duck.
geordie scarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geordie scarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2012 at 11:08am

LOL 
Toontotown challenges have now raised £101,321 for charity www.toontotown.co.uk

You cant buy Scarlet culture........You have to breed Scarlet culture
Proud member of Herman Tours
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic