FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boring Rugby

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2021 at 8:24am
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Make it that once a ruck is secure no more players can join the ruck thus reducing the caterpillar of protection that the scrum half gets.

How would you define "secure" though? Again, too much on the ref to decide for me. Limit numbers of players in ruck to two or three each side? 

Many of our suggestions are looking league esque I notice. 
Sponsored Links

Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2021 at 8:14am
Make it that once a ruck is secure no more players can join the ruck thus reducing the caterpillar of protection that the scrum half gets.
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2021 at 8:00am
Two early posts mention the ref communication. I do like this aspect of the sport in some ways but a player and their team should know if they're offside or not. If they are, the ref should give a penalty. You can get rid of all of this coaching business by the ref and teams would get a lot more honest more quickly. It shifts responsibility for adhering to the laws onto the players themselves and not the ref for making the players, which really shouldn't be their role. 

I fully agree there are shades of grey at the breakdown and scrums that needs careful officiating (and explaining to viewers) but things like offside, nah. Players should not be listening to the ref to know they're offside or even illegally holding on at the breakdown. It just encourages players to break the rules until the ref asks them to stop, with no penalty.
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2021 at 7:50am
if the ref tells a scrum half to use it he should use it instead of lining up the so obvious box kick,penalise them straight away.
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2021 at 7:45am
Good question, rugby should always look to improve.

First thing I'd do would be to clamp down on offsides, that's all we seem to hear lately is the ref shouting at players to stand still from kicks and coaching them at breakdowns so they need to start penalising them off the back of assistant ref's input (the main ref shouldn't need to be watching it, the officials need to work much better as a team). Players will soon get used to it and that should free up a bit of space.

Downgrade blocking/crossing etc. type offences to free kicks instead of pens, teams are more likely to run or kick to space from free kicks and I don't think a poorly timed dummy line should potentially result in 3 points against a team.

Somehow reduce the opportunities for jackals, that may sound a bit odd but the fear of being turned over is too high, I think that's catered for in the current rules but refs need to be much stricter on ensuring only the first person arriving can go for a turnover, too often it's the second/third player going for the ball.

Reduce subs to 6 players, 3 frontrow and the rest up to the teams, having 8 fresh players coming on every game is too much.

Trial having 14 players starting to see how it goes, leave the teams decide whether they want to drop a flanker or centre/wing which may lead to different approaches and a more interesting/open game.
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't blink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2021 at 12:13am
Games in the English premiership are more entertaining and they use the same laws. 
dyniol53 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2021 at 11:53pm
Since the pandemic there have been lots of rugby commentators saying the game is becoming boring - too much kicking, too many big blokes running directly into other big blokes, scrums taking too long, too many mauls, the caterpillar ruck, Exeter pick and going from 5m out even when there’s an overlap outside etc

I’m wondering what fans on this forum think is the actual problem and what changes (if any) the law-makers should amend to create a more entertaining game
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic