Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boris Johnson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 110>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2021 at 4:06pm
They may as well cancel pmq's till the circus clown departs...His endless rambling non answers wouldnt get a C grade in a childs exam paper. Meanwhile the speaker of the house does nothing? Apparently all rules are off now , night clubs open to all , no masks etc but in 2 and a half months , kids (millions of whom are now unvaccinated) willl need a pass to get in? Hes basically incentivized millions of unvaccinated impressionable teenagers to party till they drop for the next 2 and a half months until the rules tighten? In the mean time theyre all lambs to the slaughter to line the pockets of boris rich friends

Edited by roy munster - 21 July 2021 at 8:52pm
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Sponsored Links

dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2021 at 5:48pm
It's very obvious (as such do I even need to post it?) but Johnson and his government will do meaningless political gestures and PR such as clap for the NHS, invoke rubbish like the "Dunkirk spirit" whilst actually decreasing NHS funding during a global pandemic.

So "let the bodies pile high" or "get covid to live longer" or disbelief the NHS would be overwhelmed as alleged opinions of the PM himself are in keeping with this. A garden full of weeds springs to mind.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2021 at 7:33pm

[/QUOTE]

Did being outside the EU also incentivise the politicians to do the buying of PPE and the organisation of 'test and trace' so much worse? 

Just asking! Wink
[/QUOTE]

The contact tracing app was the thing that didn't work, but again i'm not sure anyone outside of east asian countries managed to build a successful tracing app within the 1st year.

So in some ways, yes - in other ways no!

The only counterfactual we've got to say that had we been IN the EU schemes we could have done better is by saying we wanted cheaper vaccines a month slower.
[/QUOTE]

Do you remember back in the mists of time when we were being promised a 'world class' test and trace system, in which the app was supposed to play a crucial role? And then it didn't happen, when we needed it... now, they have got the app working but haven't thought things through, so we are getting a pingdemic whereby some people are being told to isolate when in all likelihood they don't really need to, shops and pubs are closing, haulage firms are short of drivers - so we may well see shortages in the shops soon...

This bunch could not organise the proverbial pi**-up in a brewery

As for the vaccines - we got off the mark much quicker than the EU, but now that we need vaccines for younger people (for which Astra-Zeneca is not recommended), we can't get enough of the Pfizer and Moderna, because of the bulk buying of these by the EU and others.... and despite the success of the NHS (NOT the private sector) in rolling out vaccination, because the government did such a bad job to start with, the UK is still above many other countries in terms of deaths per million...

“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2021 at 9:07pm
Its really only thanks to the nhs and the genius of the scientists that we have somehow climbed down to 20th in the world death rates. A cynic or perhaps a realist may consider boris and his chums are deliberately creating a third wave

Edited by roy munster - 21 July 2021 at 9:08pm
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2021 at 5:48am
Boris Johnson claims that Margaret Thatcher's closing of the coal mines was proof that she was an early environmentalist - nothing at all to do with crushing the trades unions, then!

You couldn't make it up - crass doesn't begin to describe the stupidity and insensitivity of this comment:

"We’ve transitioned away from coal in my lifetime. Thanks to Margaret Thatcher, who closed so many coalmines across the country, we had a big early start and we’re now moving rapidly away from coal all together”.

“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2021 at 11:51am
Not the best of comments. It’s true though. The environment would be more knackered than it is now if we had continued using more coal. I’m pretty sure she didn’t have the environment in mind when she did it mind. 

Edited by SA14 - 06 August 2021 at 11:51am
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2021 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by The Predator The Predator wrote:

Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

Playing Devils advocate , after seeing this thread regarding the cricket player and people saying he should be punished, what are their thoughts on Liam Williams and his blacking up, should he lose his job !
Did the cricket player (Ollie Robinson) lose his job? No.

He. Is. Still. Employed. As. A. Professional. Cricketer.

Be accurate please.
Ok would u like Liam to be stopped playing for the lions or Wales , you never answer anything ? I asked for your opinion on trans athletes. ? But your to scared to 

Appreciate this may be seen as digging up the past but Ollie Robinson bowled a good five wicket haul for England today. He took his (minor) punishment and then moved on. Perhaps even learned something. Cancel culture eh?
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2021 at 7:52am
Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

Playing Devils advocate , after seeing this thread regarding the cricket player and people saying he should be punished, what are their thoughts on Liam Williams and his blacking up, should he lose his job !
Did the cricket player (Ollie Robinson) lose his job? No.

He. Is. Still. Employed. As. A. Professional. Cricketer.

Be accurate please.
Ok would u like Liam to be stopped playing for the lions or Wales , you never answer anything ? I asked for your opinion on trans athletes. ? But your to scared to 

Appreciate this may be seen as digging up the past but Ollie Robinson bowled a good five wicket haul for England today. He took his (minor) punishment and then moved on. Perhaps even learned something. Cancel culture eh?

Robinson has been punished - banned for 3 games I think. He admits he wasn't a very good person at that time both in his attitudes and work ethic. Surely he has the right to be believed when he says he is sorry and that he is a different person now? 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2021 at 11:38am
Completely. My comment is that the outrage over him being "cancelled" by wokeness was overblown. He didn't lose his job and it hasn't really impacted his England career either. Perhaps he's even learned something. So was the ban really that bad? You'd never see journalists follow up the story, they'd much rather just stoke sensationalist woke/antiwoke narratives.
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2021 at 6:06pm
Yeah I think in this example the response actually was appropriate.

It just looked at the time like he might never actually play for England again, because Anderson and Broad were being rested so a 3 game suspension, purely by circumstance, could have been the end of his International career. Which would have felt a disproportionate response to some nasty tweets he made as a teenager if you know what I mean?
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2021 at 6:07pm
He is a very good bowler, too! Reminds me of Josh Hazelwood for the Aussies.
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2021 at 12:45pm
Interesting sub-plot in Tory party this week is the growing feud between BJ and Rishi Sunak - apparently Johnson joked about reshuffling Sunak to Health Sec earlier this week in response to some disagreements they’ve been having. 

'I’ve been thinking about it. Maybe it’s time we looked at Rishi as the next secretary of state for health. He could potentially do a very good job there.’ 

This will be a tension in the Tory party right up until the next election because Sunak has unusually high approval ratings form large swathes of the electorate because he has been given credit for the furlough scheme. 

There’s no way Johnson’s ego will be content with someone in his own party being more popular than him (after all, BJ was always the one more popular with the electorate than Cameron or May). 

The other subplot is that Sunak is a known fan/ally of Dominic Cummings who, I would guess, fancies a return to the higher echelons of power
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2021 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

Interesting sub-plot in Tory party this week is the growing feud between BJ and Rishi Sunak - apparently Johnson joked about reshuffling Sunak to Health Sec earlier this week in response to some disagreements they’ve been having. 

'I’ve been thinking about it. Maybe it’s time we looked at Rishi as the next secretary of state for health. He could potentially do a very good job there.’ 

This will be a tension in the Tory party right up until the next election because Sunak has unusually high approval ratings form large swathes of the electorate because he has been given credit for the furlough scheme. 

There’s no way Johnson’s ego will be content with someone in his own party being more popular than him (after all, BJ was always the one more popular with the electorate than Cameron or May). 

The other subplot is that Sunak is a known fan/ally of Dominic Cummings who, I would guess, fancies a return to the higher echelons of power

It was noticeable that when Cummings stabbed Boris several times in the back recently, he was careful to praise Sunak. I guess he's hoping for a recall to No. 10 under PM Rishi!.

Truth is, they're all a gang of shameless crooks. Does anyone know where all Mrs. Rishi's companies pay tax - if any? Cummings married a woman whose parents live in an estate so big, you can't see the house from the front gate - which is why it was 'safer' to go to some pitiful peasant cottage there at the edges, than stay in London during COVID - according to Cummings.

I am currently reading a book about the French Revolution, the Terror, and the guillotine. Interesting how much more tolerant people are now than 200 years ago.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2021 at 3:46pm
It's hard not to get a bit freaked out by climate change and the impact humanity is having, especially when contrasting this to how little world leaders are actually doing coupled with realisation of where their priorities actually lie. That is a) getting elected and remaining in power and b) satisfying their rich party backers or media supporters (which are often both in the UK), usually with more money or preserving their riches. Maybe I'm a naive day dreamer but it would be nice if to make the world a better place or to improve the lives of the majority of people in their nations featured. But no, it's just empty catchphrases whilst they make as much money for themselves and their backers as possible. I'm sure this is nothing new, but the crisis we are currently seeing the start of makes it even less acceptable. Yet it'll be "well we tried doing nothing, now it is too late so there is nothing we can do". 
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2021 at 4:25pm

Yet it'll be "well we tried doing nothing, now it is too late so there is nothing we can do". 

Hmm I am skeptical about most or all of UK’s climate policy because I don’t think there’s any action we could take that will measurably make a difference to global climate change - almost all the interventions and solutions will end up affecting poorer people in the U.K. all whilst not solving climate change. 

If the U.K. switched itself off and became carbon negative overnight we still wouldn’t slow down climate change. 

Alas 20 years of nuclear alarmism means we’re still reliant globally on the fossil fuel industry otherwise electricity would be too expensive and idiots like the German Greens and Californian activists have SHUT down their nuclear power stations meaning they’re now MORE reliant on coal than they were 15 years ago.

India, China, USA and Brazil are the countries that have the largest impact here. The UK’s focus shouldn’t be on fiddling energy prices or meat taxes at home, rather we should invest in technology that will help those countries become greener.

To tie Climate change back to Boris Johnson - what he will do is all the stupid virtue signalling stuff cause his parter wants to save the whales blah blah so our climate response will be micro-policies akin to “ban plastic straws” and macro-policies like “get to net 0” which will achieve nothing.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2021 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

Yet it'll be "well we tried doing nothing, now it is too late so there is nothing we can do". 

Hmm I am skeptical about most or all of UK’s climate policy because I don’t think there’s any action we could take that will measurably make a difference to global climate change - almost all the interventions and solutions will end up affecting poorer people in the U.K. all whilst not solving climate change. 

If the U.K. switched itself off and became carbon negative overnight we still wouldn’t slow down climate change. 

Alas 20 years of nuclear alarmism means we’re still reliant globally on the fossil fuel industry otherwise electricity would be too expensive and idiots like the German Greens and Californian activists have SHUT down their nuclear power stations meaning they’re now MORE reliant on coal than they were 15 years ago.

India, China, USA and Brazil are the countries that have the largest impact here. The UK’s focus shouldn’t be on fiddling energy prices or meat taxes at home, rather we should invest in technology that will help those countries become greener.

To tie Climate change back to Boris Johnson - what he will do is all the stupid virtue signalling stuff cause his parter wants to save the whales blah blah so our climate response will be micro-policies akin to “ban plastic straws” and macro-policies like “get to net 0” which will achieve nothing.

Which would count as the UK doing something. I agree the UK's efforts would appear relatively little in the grand scheme of things but you have to start somewhere. Essentially, we are probably waiting for climate change to present substantial damage (probably to the economies) to the US, China or Russia - maybe even all three - before large-scale action will be taken. I don't think arguing that "nothing the UK does will make any difference so let's not do anything" is the right way forward personally as this apathy is the situation my quoted comment indicates.

Your last sentence may well be the case, although I'd also argue those micro-policies do build in influence and momentum and I see no harm in e.g. trying to reduce plastic consumption by banning plastic straws. Of course then you have increased paper consumption so this illustrates that there's no quick fixes here at all and things have to be thought through and justified. Unfortunately, and as you suggest, the lack of a quick gimmicky solution, requirement for international efforts and actual long term rational thought don't really fit with our politics and politicians at all. Plus current cynicism towards politics is very high and people strongly object to any enforced changes on their way of life as we've seen during Covid, so my hopes aren't high.

Nonetheless the story of CFCs may provide some evidence that it can be attempted with some level of success, albeit when led by a world superpower. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 110>
  Share Topic