Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > ORDERED
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - British and Irish Lions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login


British and Irish Lions

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message
yedarts View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 16 August 2004
Status: Offline
Points: 1570
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yedarts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2004 at 10:57am
Originally posted by beanboy beanboy wrote:

I would however, never shout for England no matter who they are playing. This is due to rivalry, just like Celtic v Rangers as we've all said on here before.


I was supporting England  during the semi-finals and final of the last world cup. A number of reasons for this. Firstly they were the best team in the 12 months leading up to the tournament and IMO deserved to be world champions. Secondly, I'm fed up with saturation coverage of football in the media in this country. I hoped that England becoming world champions would increase the profile of rugby. This has has been the case to a certain extent.
Back to Top
Sponsored Links


Back to Top
ursamajor View Drop Down
Founder
Founder


Joined: 04 August 2004
Status: Offline
Points: 4800
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ursamajor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2004 at 11:34am
Originally posted by yedarts yedarts wrote:

Originally posted by beanboy beanboy wrote:

I would however, never shout for England no matter who they are playing. This is due to rivalry, just like Celtic v Rangers as we've all said on here before.


I was supporting England  during the semi-finals and final of the last world cup. A number of reasons for this. Firstly they were the best team in the 12 months leading up to the tournament and IMO deserved to be world champions. Secondly, I'm fed up with saturation coverage of football in the media in this country. I hoped that England becoming world champions would increase the profile of rugby. This has has been the case to a certain extent.


But only of English rugby.
The Celtic League is still without a main sponsor. American Baseball gets better coverage in many 'National' papers.

Back to Top
Pedro Diniz View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 05 August 2004
Location: Saint Pierre
Status: Offline
Points: 2752
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pedro Diniz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2004 at 11:38am
Originally posted by ursamajor ursamajor wrote:

The Celtic League is still without a main sponsor.

Sorry ursa, has it got ANY sponsor at all? Guinness and Lloyds TSB were in the running for it - to start the season we won the thing - but because the Irish sides weren't all for it anyway, both pulled the plug. Grainger's got a lot of work to do, cos it seems to me that he's doing nothing.


RIGHT, back to the LIONS....

Edited by Pedro Diniz
"I can't see the Germans getting back into this...they've only got Kuntz up front..."
(Alan Hansen, during Euro 96).
Back to Top
MikeM View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 16 August 2004
Location: Wales
Status: Offline
Points: 5433
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2004 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by yedarts yedarts wrote:

Originally posted by beanboy beanboy wrote:

I would however, never shout for England no matter who they are playing. This is due to rivalry, just like Celtic v Rangers as we've all said on here before.


I was supporting England  during the semi-finals and final of the last world cup. A number of reasons for this. Firstly they were the best team in the 12 months leading up to the tournament and IMO deserved to be world champions. Secondly, I'm fed up with saturation coverage of football in the media in this country. I hoped that England becoming world champions would increase the profile of rugby. This has has been the case to a certain extent.


Does this mean that you'll support the ospreys next season if they have a really good 12 months leading up to it?
Through Thick And Thin!
Back to Top
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Avatar

Joined: 16 August 2004
Location: Cardiff
Status: Offline
Points: 27368
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2004 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by ursamajor ursamajor wrote:

Originally posted by yedarts yedarts wrote:

Originally posted by beanboy beanboy wrote:

I would however, never shout for England no matter who they are playing. This is due to rivalry, just like Celtic v Rangers as we've all said on here before.


I was supporting England  during the semi-finals and final of the last world cup. A number of reasons for this. Firstly they were the best team in the 12 months leading up to the tournament and IMO deserved to be world champions. Secondly, I'm fed up with saturation coverage of football in the media in this country. I hoped that England becoming world champions would increase the profile of rugby. This has has been the case to a certain extent.


But only of English rugby.
The Celtic League is still without a main sponsor. American Baseball gets better coverage in many 'National' papers.



I don't think even English rugby has had the coverage it deserves. Even when they all went to see the Queen to get OBE'S (?) or whatever, sky sports news gave them a 10 second slot that was 5th on the headline agenda behind, sven goran erikson sneezing etc etc. There is a clear hierarchy that British sports media follows - England football, England domestic football, world football, England other sports and 0.5% dedicated to everything else including other "British" countries. So, I can easily see why scottish, Welsh etc don't consider themselves British at all. I find it very hard to
I live in England at the moment unfortunately have no way of finding out whats going on in countries other than England from television and newspaper. Not everybody has the internet. And now I have noway of remembering what this topic was about , sory for the rant.
Back to Top
yedarts View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 16 August 2004
Status: Offline
Points: 1570
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yedarts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2004 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by ursamajor ursamajor wrote:

But only of English rugby.
The Celtic League is still without a main sponsor. American Baseball gets better coverage in many 'National' papers.


Most of the coverage is of English rugby. But that's no suprise. They're the World Champions. If by increased coverage of the England team there are a few more watching on TV in Feb when we beat them then that's ok with me.


Edited by yedarts
Back to Top
yedarts View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 16 August 2004
Status: Offline
Points: 1570
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yedarts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2004 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by beanboy beanboy wrote:

I don't think even English rugby has had the coverage it deserves. Even when they all went to see the Queen to get OBE'S (?) or whatever, sky sports news gave them a 10 second slot that was 5th on the headline agenda behind, sven goran erikson sneezing etc etc. There is a clear hierarchy that British sports media follows - England football, England domestic football, world football, England other sports and 0.5% dedicated to everything else including other "British" countries. So, I can easily see why scottish, Welsh etc don't consider themselves British at all. I find it very hard to
I live in England at the moment unfortunately have no way of finding out whats going on in countries other than England from television and newspaper. Not everybody has the internet. And now I have noway of remembering what this topic was about , sory for the rant.


Very true. I too live in England and I keep up with Welsh rugby using the web and also by watching BBC Wales on Satellite. The rugby coverage in the national press is in general pretty good (though heavily English biased) the coverage of the Celtic League though is appauling. You're lucky if you get the results. The standing of the Celtic League would be greatly improved IMO if it were a more competative tournament. However, this lies in the hands of the Irish and I can't see them doing anything to help us. One day they'll rue not taking the Celtic league seriously (hopefully).


Edited by yedarts
Back to Top
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Avatar

Joined: 16 August 2004
Location: Cardiff
Status: Offline
Points: 27368
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2004 at 2:23pm
Agree. I have Cable but not Sky, so dont get BBC2 Wales (Have to ask nicely down my local boozer, if theres no football on, to get celtic league). I also dont get internet at weekends, therefore have to wait until Monday morning to find out Celtic league results, unless I have been lucky enough to catch them on BBC news 24 or something. So this thread is still relevant in my opinion. All these factors play a part in determining how British Britain is. The government keep saying how important it is to be a United Britain from all parts, but the people who say this are obviously living in cloud cuckoo land / West London, same difference. However, as I have said the British Lions should be the pinnacle for any union player / supporter alike.
Back to Top
yedarts View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 16 August 2004
Status: Offline
Points: 1570
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yedarts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2004 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by beanboy beanboy wrote:

I also dont get internet at weekends, therefore have to wait until Monday morning to find out Celtic league results, unless I have been lucky enough to catch them on BBC news 24 or something.


That's rough. I also listen to games streamed via the web when they are on.
Back to Top
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Avatar

Joined: 16 August 2004
Location: Cardiff
Status: Offline
Points: 27368
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2004 at 2:31pm
sometimes they are in the daily mail, but i try not to buy that too often . I also try and get wales on sunday from my local newsagents, but they only stock 2 copies, and there's this bloke from swansea who lives round the corner. I'm sure he buys 2 copies just to spite me!
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.078 seconds.