Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cardiff Rugby?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2021 at 8:47am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

We'd have to be in it to win it over the last 15 years.

Ummmm were we not in it in 2019?

There wasn’t a 3rd tier event in 2019?

Can’t recall when they stopped. Around 2006 I thought.

My mistake will, I think we've crossed wires! I thought you were referring to the Blues win of the Challenge cup. Apologies.
Sponsored Links

Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2021 at 9:14am

We'd have to be in it to win it over the last 15 years.

Ummmm were we not in it in 2019?

There wasn’t a 3rd tier event in 2019?

Can’t recall when they stopped. Around 2006 I thought.

My mistake will, I think we've crossed wires! I thought you were referring to the Blues win of the Challenge cup. Apologies.

Oh yes!
Ha!
Apologies too.
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2021 at 10:14am
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

Originally posted by Gate12 Gate12 wrote:

They haven't made the most of their city status and "worldwide" name since the 80's, the last time they won something in the highest level of competition available to them was the Welsh /Scottish league 21 years ago.

I don't see this rebranding changing anything to be honest. 

Dale mackintosh's stat about the amount of their players that come from the Valleys (largely ponty) was interesting, I guessed from scanning their squad it was high but I didn't realise it was that high. 

Didn’t they win the challenge cup?

Yes, a Tier 2 event though. Going one step further than the mighty Caerphilly did in the same comp.

I feel the point is valid though. Cardiff have had more than their fare share of off field wrangles, venue confusion, funding nonsense, coaching changes etc.
Perpetually impacting their on field impact.

Oh yeh I remember. So going by that rationale if the Scarlets ever won it it’s not something to brag about. 

Correct, I'd enjoy the day out but winning the league means more, winning the HC would obviously be the pinnacle.

This digresses from my point though, as a supporter I'd be wary of expectation and a change of name having any meaningful impact on off or on field performance.

There's a lot of hype going alongside the name change which is expected but I wouldn't get my hopes up if I was a Blues supporter. There's all the talk of a global brand, world renowned club, commercial powerhouse, etc. but nothing has really changed.

They've got the same squad, same staff, same stadium, same fans, pretty much the same name and badge and even similar club colours as they've have since rugby went professional, they've never made the most of their location and resources and I don't see changing the word Blues to Rugby changing that.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2021 at 10:42am

They haven't made the most of their city status and "worldwide" name since the 80's, the last time they won something in the highest level of competition available to them was the Welsh /Scottish league 21 years ago.

I don't see this rebranding changing anything to be honest. 

Dale mackintosh's stat about the amount of their players that come from the Valleys (largely ponty) was interesting, I guessed from scanning their squad it was high but I didn't realise it was that high. 

Didn’t they win the challenge cup?

Yes, a Tier 2 event though. Going one step further than the mighty Caerphilly did in the same comp.

I feel the point is valid though. Cardiff have had more than their fare share of off field wrangles, venue confusion, funding nonsense, coaching changes etc.
Perpetually impacting their on field impact.

Oh yeh I remember. So going by that rationale if the Scarlets ever won it it’s not something to brag about. 

Correct, I'd enjoy the day out but winning the league means more, winning the HC would obviously be the pinnacle.

This digresses from my point though, as a supporter I'd be wary of expectation and a change of name having any meaningful impact on off or on field performance.

There's a lot of hype going alongside the name change which is expected but I wouldn't get my hopes up if I was a Blues supporter. There's all the talk of a global brand, world renowned club, commercial powerhouse, etc. but nothing has really changed.

They've got the same squad, same staff, same stadium, same fans, pretty much the same name and badge and even similar club colours as they've have since rugby went professional, they've never made the most of their location and resources and I don't see changing the word Blues to Rugby changing that.

You're right. They have been a badly run club for as long as I can recall. The fiasco over the ground rental typifies their dilemma. Considering their location in the heart of the city centre their average gates are very poor. 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2021 at 11:17am
Cardiff are deluded  if they think dropping the word blues will make thousands  more flock to the games and big businesses throw a fortune at them

Edited by RR1972 - 09 March 2021 at 11:18am
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2021 at 11:24am
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Cardiff are deluded  if they think dropping the word blues will make thousands  more flock to the games and big businesses throw a fortune at them

Well deluded rather sums up the management style of Cardiff for many years. 
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2021 at 11:48am
Without getting too smug, this underlines how much progress weve made by comparison .....In the 1980s going to the arms park felt like going to visit your rich cousins, now its almost like role reversal. Im not saying were the finished article as a region, we still need more silverware....But I do feel weve been a far more successful region 
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2021 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

Without getting too smug, this underlines how much progress weve made by comparison .....In the 1980s going to the arms park felt like going to visit your rich cousins, now its almost like role reversal. Im not saying were the finished article as a region, we still need more silverware....But I do feel weve been a far more successful region 
roy mun,haven't you heard we are not a region we are a club.Tongue
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2021 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

LOL we're a clubegion
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Dai Guevara View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai Guevara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2021 at 3:19pm
Perhaps any Ponty players/fans who have fallen for the Blues region gimmick will now realise that their sole purpose is to make the mighty Cardiff mightier yet.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2021 at 5:19pm

We are definitely what we always were - a club- but although it would be nice to reintroduce Llanelli into our club name I think that we have naturally evolved comfortably into a club that covers a Region. I suspect that our supporters in the West will also prefer us in 2021 to be known as the Scarlets as well although I have not done a survey! Perhaps more luck than judgment but I think we are comfortable as we are.
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook
tannerbankboy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tannerbankboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2021 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

We are definitely what we always were - a club- but although it would be nice to reintroduce Llanelli into our club name I think that we have naturally evolved comfortably into a club that covers a Region. I suspect that our supporters in the West will also prefer us in 2021 to be known as the Scarlets as well although I have not done a survey! Perhaps more luck than judgment but I think we are comfortable as we are.
I didn't want Llanelli dropped from the name.  I want it back
Mugwuffin View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mugwuffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2021 at 2:38pm

Has anyone involved with Cardiff predicted that? I haven’t even seen any of their supporters suggesting that will happen. 

Their reverting to their old brand makes sense. They’ve got one of the greatest histories in club rugby, yet for 17 years they intentionally distanced themselves from that and marketed themselves as “The Blues”, a team with a short and mediocre history. And for what? You could probably count on your fingers the number of Pontypridd supporters who started supporting because they were “The Blues”. 
Mugwuffin View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mugwuffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2021 at 2:51pm

Sorry but if the scarlets were to win the challenge cup it would be hugely celebrated on here & rightly so. 
It’s alway nice to win a final, but the Challenge Cup is the third best trophy a club can win. Being in the competition is an indication of failure in itself, and winning it is just making the best out of a bad situation. 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2021 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by Mugwuffin Mugwuffin wrote:

Has anyone involved with Cardiff predicted that? I haven’t even seen any of their supporters suggesting that will happen. 

Their reverting to their old brand makes sense. They’ve got one of the greatest histories in club rugby, yet for 17 years they intentionally distanced themselves from that and marketed themselves as “The Blues”, a team with a short and mediocre history. And for what? You could probably count on your fingers the number of Pontypridd supporters who started supporting because they were “The Blues”. 

go on social media its full of Cardiff fans  saying how this is a dawn  of a new era etc comedy gold in fairness  LOLLOL

Brand Cardiff rugby is frankly no different to  brand Cardiff blues rugby  to anyone but their die hard fans in all honesty

I'll ask again as no one seems willing to answer how much Cardiff branding do they actually need?
They were called the Cardiff blues,  they played  every game in Cardiff and play  in Cardiff colours. That  is pretty Cardiff heavy already I'd say 

How many fans /sponsors are going to flock to them now they have dropped the word blues, I'm guessing next to none

Brand Cardiff rugby, is hardly  right up there along side Real Madrid, Manchester united  the Dallas cowboys , The new York Yankees etc in the  global world of sports marketing is it?

This change won't lose them many fans but it's not going to gain them many either

Edited by RR1972 - 10 March 2021 at 3:47pm
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2021 at 4:03pm

Originally posted by Mugwuffin Mugwuffin wrote:

go on social media its full of Cardiff fans  saying how this is a dawn  of a new era etc comedy gold in fairness  LOLLOL

Brand Cardiff rugby is frankly no different to  brand Cardiff blues rugby  to anyone but their die hard fans in all honesty

I'll ask again as no one seems willing to answer how much Cardiff branding do they actually need?
They were called the Cardiff blues,  they played  every game in Cardiff and play  in Cardiff colours. That  is pretty Cardiff heavy already I'd say 

How many fans /sponsors are going to flock to them now they have dropped the word blues, I'm guessing next to none

Brand Cardiff rugby, is hardly  right up there along side Real Madrid, Manchester united  the Dallas cowboys , The new York Yankees etc in the  global world of sports marketing is it?

This change won't lose them many fans but it's not going to gain them many either

Agreed. Selling it as something revolutionary may be a slight smokescreen from the board to take the spotlight away from their fairly fundamental issues which are lack of success over many years, financial issues which have never recovered since Pies closed his wallet and a pretty awful record of coach appointments since Dai Young left for Wasps. 

The area will continue to produce very talented players of course but they don't seem able to keep many through their pathway. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic