Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SUPPORTERS TRUST NEWS
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Challenge Cup KO times

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRYS16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Challenge Cup KO times
    Posted: 02 February 2020 at 5:40pm
There have been some complaints on here re KO times in the Challenge Cup this season.

Last Thursday I e mailed EPCR about the matter and didn't think I'd get a reply. My e mail read,

I write on behalf of Scarlets Supporters. Our supporters are disappointed with the kick off times we've been allocated this season. Our home Ko times have all been on a Saturday which we have no issue with, however 2 matches kicked off at 19.45, and one home match at 20.00. The other match on mainland UK at the Madejski also kicked off at 20.00.
The M4 motorway ends just north of Llanelli. Most of our fans live to the west of Llanelli. To the west of Llanelli, the road network is not great, and for some a 60 mile journey to a home match can take up to 2 hours. The late kick offs therefore become an issue, with some fans not getting home until after midnight. With regard to the last pool match at the Madejski, many fans did not travel as they would not have arrived home until 2-3am. An overnight stay would have added considerably to the travel costs.
Unlike the other Welsh Regions, we are not a city team, and our fan base live in rural areas surrounding Llanelli.
I should be grateful if you would give this matter some thought, and let us have your comments so that I may, in turn, pass these on to our supporters.
Email info@crys16.cymru with your membership queries!

JOIN CRYS 16 FOR FREE:
http://www.crys16.cymru
Sponsored Links

CRYS16 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRYS16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2020 at 5:43pm
Early Friday morning I got a phone call from Switzerland, I hope they didn't reverse the charges !!!

I was promised a reply by the end of this week, and a copy is given below, we may not like it, however EPCR are to be commended for their prompt reply.

Thank you for your email on behalf of CRYS16 Scarlets Supporters Trust on the topic of kick-off times in the European Rugby Challenge Cup this season and very good to speak with you on the phone earlier today.

The fans are crucial to the success of European club rugby tournaments and thus, we appreciate this feedback as it further informs the factors that EPCR and its shareholders from the three professional domestic leagues take into account when going through each stage of scheduling matches. These aspects also include stadium availability, time of turnaround from the previous and to the following matches, any other events that may require restrictions in the locality and the needs of rights-holding broadcasters.

Matches in the Challenge Cup have not had widespread exposure either via live broadcasts or streaming services in recent seasons but we have sought to eliminate that problem this season and have been able to give exposure through S4C for coverage of one match per round including Welsh regions this season, with the agreement of BT Sport. Scarlets' three home matches have been the broadcaster's selection this season in the Pool Stage and the resultant Saturday evening kick-offs have been as a result which has given many more rugby fans the access to your fixtures but with the disadvantage that you point out. For the Round 6 match that you have referenced at Madejski Stadium, Reading, the London Irish-Scarlets match had to kick off at the same time as the RC Toulon – Bayonne match in the same pool for reasons of sporting integrity and that was a match selected by the French broadcaster in the Saturday evening slot, which is why the match kicked off at 20.00 local time.

That is an explanation into how these kick-off times came about but that EPCR understands the concerns of Scarlets supporters and routinely assesses the balance of factors taken into account when it comes to the scheduling of matches in this tournament and the Heineken Champions Cup.

We would like to wish you, and all Scarlets fans, a successful remainder of the season in both our tournament and the Guinness PRO14 and are at your disposal in case of further questions

Email info@crys16.cymru with your membership queries!

JOIN CRYS 16 FOR FREE:
http://www.crys16.cymru
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2020 at 5:47pm
Good of them to respond.

Please keep up the dialogue with a message containing a few requests after the pools are drawn next summer.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2020 at 6:44pm

Excellent work by Crys 16, well done bois!
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2020 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Good of them to respond.

Please keep up the dialogue with a message containing a few requests after the  Champions Cup pools are drawn next summer.

Corrected it for you Steve !
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2020 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Good of them to respond.

Please keep up the dialogue with a message containing a few requests after the  Champions Cup pools are drawn next summer.

Corrected it for you Steve !
👍
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic