Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

crys 16 "meet the Coaches.8/11/22

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CRYS16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2022 at 2:25pm
Julian emailed us this morning with the words of what he is proposing pre match to get the crowd going and he would appreciate feedback.

Y Gelyn yn Bygwth Ein Tir
A Oes Calon?
CALON!

Ein Cefnau yn Erbyn y Wal
A Oes Calon?
CALON!

Ein Cryfder ni fydd yn Gwanio
A Oes Calon?
CALON!

Ein Scarlets, Ein Tim, Ein Enaid!
A Oes Calon?
CALON!
Email info@crys16.cymru with your membership queries!

JOIN CRYS 16 FOR FREE:
http://www.crys16.cymru
Sponsored Links

Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2022 at 5:38pm
Controversial, but I think it should contain more English.
Salon is great and nearly everybody in Wales understands what it means.

I think, to get buy in, at least some of the first lines should be in English.

I'm really not sure if it will catch on - but it might just work.
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
Owen111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Owen111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2022 at 5:43pm
For what its worth the PA system from the north stand is awful, cant hear a thing that he says
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2022 at 6:59pm
Thanks, Crys, for the almost instant feedback. I must send some questions in future instead of thinking you’d have loads.

As for not reading this forum religiously, c’mon. Where’s the commitment?Wink Is there a tongue in cheek emoji?

Agree with Wasp re English being included in the rousing chant.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't blink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2022 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

Yes he does concentrate on Welsh a lot on match day. It’s not really controversial I’d say more of the crowd are English speaking. He usually isn’t bilingual when speaking on the mic. 
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2022 at 9:30pm
Yes Julian used to speak in Saesneg and Welsh but he has just moved to full Welsh now 😂 I don’t mind but think he should keep the scores and player numbers coming off and on bilingual to cover the full audience as Tommo did 

aberscarletsfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aberscarletsfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2022 at 10:00pm

Yea, I hate it when I go to Toulon and the Pilou Pilou is all in their native French.
Ri'n ni Yma o Hyd!!
scarletpimp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2022 at 11:06pm
Thanks to all, for contributing to this thread. I enjoy reading what everyone has to say.
Before discussing Julians idea of pre match chant "Calon"...
can I say I totally agree with Owen 111, says about the PA.
I also sit in the north stand, and the sound is beyond poor, it's pathetic.
We have a stadium to be proud of here, the envy of many...however the sound is not of th things to be proud of and needs to be improved.

I agree with Wasp and Reesy, maybe yes, one or two lines in English will bind the whole essence of the chant "Calon " together.
Will it lose its distinctive Welshness (Yma O Hyd) and impact by the introduction of English ...not sure?
I know that many football fans, many non-Welsh speaking are more than happy to adopt "Yma O Hyd",
which has been our anthem here at Parc.

What is important is this, we are able to reach out to people, with our identity as proud West Walian's.
There is proportionally more Welsh spoken in Carmarthenshire, north Pembrokeshire, and Ceredigion, than in any of the three other regions.
I am saying for any divisive reason, because we all Welsh, all proud of that, but we are also culturally slightly different down here possibly because we are far more rural than the other regions.
Doesn't make us better, just different.
As a result, why not celebrate that difference, with a chant, which is predominately Welsh with a smatter of English embroidered into the fabric.

At the end of the day, we as Scarlets are experiencing the worst experiences on the field for a while.
Hope fully that will change, if not in the short term.
If we can help off the field (Crys16)..then that would be a great result...and additionally attempting to include everyone in an umbrella of scarlets fans, young old, female, whatever your sexuality, race, religion.... your all SCARLETS. In that context, the pre match chant may bind us all together as one !
I stood yer on tanner bank
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2022 at 10:14am
Personally think the poem is great as is and given time will catch on. 

Yma O Hyd, Calon Lan, Lawr ar Lan Y Mor,  Sosban Fach nobody seems to have an issue with....

One word. CALON. Personally think with time can bring the passion out in the stands. 

We see how the Welsh Football fans are leading the way here at the moment with the FAW.
This is well worth trying. 
Scarlet Cruiser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Cruiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2022 at 2:08pm
Personally, I love the idea of the poem with the crown joining in with Calon.  I spoke to Julian at the end of the meeting and told him this along with many others.  He did say that it would be displayed on the screens within the stadium so that people could follow it.  It is based on the eisteddfod's swordbearer chant 'Heddwch'. The supporters would have to learn one word only, Calon.  I think it needs to be trialled with a group of supporters leading the way at the beginning and hopefully, the rest of the crowd would pick up on it.  It would be unique to the Scarlets and our battle call!
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2022 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by Scarlet Cruiser Scarlet Cruiser wrote:

Personally, I love the idea of the poem with the crown joining in with Calon.  I spoke to Julian at the end of the meeting and told him this along with many others.  He did say that it would be displayed on the screens within the stadium so that people could follow it.  It is based on the eisteddfod's swordbearer chant 'Heddwch'. The supporters would have to learn one word only, Calon.  I think it needs to be trialled with a group of supporters leading the way at the beginning and hopefully, the rest of the crowd would pick up on it.  It would be unique to the Scarlets and our battle call!
I didn't think about the screen.

I'd love this to work, actually
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
scarletpimp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2022 at 10:01pm

Originally posted by Scarlet Cruiser Scarlet Cruiser wrote:

I didn't think about the screen.

I'd love this to work, actually

Great idea
I stood yer on tanner bank
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2022 at 10:38pm
A pre match chant seems a bit cringe to me tbh. Not sure how that will go down with a 6000 crowd  on a wet winters night 

Edited by RR1972 - 14 November 2022 at 10:39pm
ChrisX View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2022 at 11:07pm
It doesn't really matter what he says we wont hear a word (clearly) in the North. New PA maybe first?
Mrfwon View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrfwon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2022 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by judith judith wrote:

Thanks scarletpimp for this - it's very helpful and much appreciated from those of us who live too far away to attend these meetings (much as we'd love to!).

Seconded ClapClapClap, it's really appreciated you all arranging and attending these meetings. As Judith has mentioned above, the information is very helpful, and provides us folk who live too far away, with a great insight to proceedings ClapClapClap
All I Want for Christmas is a Win
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't blink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2022 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

A pre match chant seems a bit cringe to me tbh. Not sure how that will go down with a 6000 crowd  on a wet winters night 

Exactly. No way will this take off. Sorry to be negative. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic