Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dave Hewett Not Coming Back

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pedro Diniz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2005 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by Abbey Abbey wrote:

Remeber Peter Francis

Are you on about the ex Maesteg and (possibly) Wales A prop??

This topic had my name written all over it - as I was the dunce who had his name and number on my top. Always seemed likely that he'd leave, but again he wasn't eased into things was he? We as a club always expect our new players, no matter how big a name they are, to sh*t miracles, Arwel being a prime example. Perhaps instead of Hewett warming his bum in Scotland during the HC when he wasn't registered to play, he should have been utilised in one of the semi pro sides, toughen him up a bit, then when he'd play vs the Ospreys, he'd know about Welsh forward play a bit more than he did at the time. I wish him all the best in Edinburgh - does his contract start straight away?? But I do think if we'd handled him better, then he'd be a Scarlet next season.
"I can't see the Germans getting back into this...they've only got Kuntz up front..."
(Alan Hansen, during Euro 96).
Sponsored Links

bin laden View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
THE TROPHY CABINET IS OPEN FOR BUSINESS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bin laden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2005 at 8:54pm

pedro,

please do us a favour and keep your shirts nameless from now on,you jinx.

Yes,I am back with a stewards view on things.

Taffscarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taffscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2005 at 9:01pm

Originally posted by Pedro Diniz Pedro Diniz wrote:

Remeber Peter Francis

Or are you on about Jason Barrell? Another fantastic S12 import!

Daw dydd y bydd mawr y rhai bychain

Daw dydd ni bydd mwy y rhai mawr.
nm2jonathann View Drop Down
UNDEFEATED ARMY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nm2jonathann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2005 at 9:40pm

Remeber Peter Francis

This topic had my name written all over it - as I was the dunce who had his name and number on my top. Always seemed likely that he'd leave, but again he wasn't eased into things was he? We as a club always expect our new players, no matter how big a name they are, to sh*t miracles, Arwel being a prime example. Perhaps instead of Hewett warming his bum in Scotland during the HC when he wasn't registered to play, he should have been utilised in one of the semi pro sides, toughen him up a bit, then when he'd play vs the Ospreys, he'd know about Welsh forward play a bit more than he did at the time. I wish him all the best in Edinburgh - does his contract start straight away?? But I do think if we'd handled him better, then he'd be a Scarlet next season.

Totally agree pedro, everyone has got to understand that DH came from his then pre-season and was chucked into our most important and crucial part of the season, first game being a crucial boxing day game at the Gnoll! There is hell of a difference between playing prop in a southern hemisphere game to a northern hempisphere one! the guy should have been named as a replacement for the regional or furthermore givin a go at playing semi-pro level just to get him used to our game! But one thing i have got to say, he surely resurrected John Davies's career, who has been a totally different player since DH was signed! All the best to you in Edinburgh, and furthermore best of luck to Dave Duley tommorrow against Pooler!!!

Edited by nm2jonathann
Pedro Diniz View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pedro Diniz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2005 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by bin laden bin laden wrote:

pedro,

Worked with Easterby, though.....
"I can't see the Germans getting back into this...they've only got Kuntz up front..."
(Alan Hansen, during Euro 96).
bin laden View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
THE TROPHY CABINET IS OPEN FOR BUSINESS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bin laden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2005 at 9:50pm

Originally posted by bin laden bin laden wrote:

pedro,

Worked with Easterby, though.....
ok,no more front rows then.
Yes,I am back with a stewards view on things.

Abbey View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abbey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2005 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by Taffscarlet Taffscarlet wrote:

Remeber Peter Francis

Or are you on about Jason Barrell? Another fantastic S12 import!

Both!!

Peter Francis - Yes, the Maesteg prop. He was a full international, signed amongst much trumpeting and then discarded shortly afterwards.

Jason Barrell - Yes, that's the one I mean in the other part of my post. I'd forgotten his name but never his performance! Aberavon were relegation fodder and pushed us around all afternoon in the scrums. I also think we lost the game (when everyone else was gaining cricket scores against them).

s.pimpernel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
A.F.K.A.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s.pimpernel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2005 at 12:46am

Remeber Peter Francis

So you wanted a Super 12 and All Black player to toughen up in the semi pros???????

Doesn`t this suggestion ring any alarm bells for you??????

No one asked him to s**t miracles as you put it. He was an experienced prop who allegedly came highly recommended and he played like they had just got someone off the tanner bank 5mins before kick off who had never played prop in their life. 

Jerry Dammers View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry Dammers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2005 at 10:01am

I can't see how semi pro rugby could toughen anyone up, there's a noticable gap between prem/celtic league. If someone's coming back from injury then fine, a good a place as any to get a bit of fitness up, but toughening up? Chris Wyatt played for the RFC side earlier this season, only mentioning it because he was so far in front of players on both sides (tactically and fitness) it was obvious there is a big gap, not many can bridge it successfully. It's not difficult for an experienced player to look good in the semi pros, it's consistency in the step up that determines multi faceted discipline.   

Hewitt didn't hack it, that's the gist of it, same as Arwel, another experienced pro who should have made the most of his opportunities and not wory about comments from the terrace (a good pro would let them go over his head anyway). Live and learn, next please!

connor boy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connor boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2005 at 10:13am
Originally posted by mr lloyd evans mr lloyd evans wrote:

I can't see how semi pro rugby could toughen anyone up, there's a noticable gap between prem/celtic league. If someone's coming back from injury then fine, a good a place as any to get a bit of fitness up, but toughening up? Chris Wyatt played for the RFC side earlier this season, only mentioning it because he was so far in front of players on both sides (tactically and fitness) it was obvious there is a big gap, not many can bridge it successfully. It's not difficult for an experienced player to look good in the semi pros, it's consistency in the step up that determines multi faceted discipline.   

Hewitt didn't hack it, that's the gist of it, same as Arwel, another experienced pro who should have made the most of his opportunities and not wory about comments from the terrace (a good pro would let them go over his head anyway). Live and learn, next please!

its easier said than done though"hacking it" and even harder if your not finnishing the games live &learnthats just itthough some supporters expect players to perform at a click of a finger,yes some do but more often or some dont he did'nt,just goes to show how spineless the ones in charge are not to give a fair crack of the whip,i wonder what would have happened if he came on the same times has our seasoned players did,but there again we'll never know i wish himall the best.  
Pigeon Toed Orange Peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel..........
Pan handle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

"These gloves are sh*t, man."

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pan handle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2005 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by s.pimpernel s.pimpernel wrote:

Remeber Peter Francis

So you wanted a Super 12 and All Black player to toughen up in the semi pros???????

Doesn`t this suggestion ring any alarm bells for you??????

No one asked him to s**t miracles as you put it. He was an experienced prop who allegedly came highly recommended and he played like they had just got someone off the tanner bank 5mins before kick off who had never played prop in their life. 

I'd agree with the last bit, im just amazed that he didnt have any serious back/neck injury after Ducun Jones made hewwett look a little boy on boxing day.

Edited by Pan handle
Pwllender View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
PWLLEND ELITIST

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pwllender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2005 at 1:25pm

Please correct me if I'm wrong here, but was'nt Hewett in pre-season when he joined us ?  - So the Guy is not match fit to start with and then we throw him in against the Ospreys ? - thats fair enough then - IMO He should have been given more match practice - It does'nt matter what level you play - Training is a lot different from match practice.

I also think that when Wyatt was sent up to play against Newbridge this season it may have been a gentle kick up the harris, because since then IMO he's come back a stronger character.

APATHY, ITS BORING.
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't blink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2005 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by Pwllender Pwllender wrote:

Please correct me if I'm wrong here, but was'nt Hewett in pre-season when he joined us ?  - So the Guy is not match fit to start with and then we throw him in against the Ospreys ? - thats fair enough then - IMO He should have been given more match practice - It does'nt matter what level you play - Training is a lot different from match practice.

I also think that when Wyatt was sent up to play against Newbridge this season it may have been a gentle kick up the harris, because since then IMO he's come back a stronger character.

agreed, how many games did he have? two? three?

it was the argument earlier in the season with the internationals.  the 'fringe' players weren't having match practice whilst on international duty, like pwllender said, training and playing are different. especially when it's a different 'type' of rugby than new zealand

Jerry Dammers View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry Dammers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2005 at 2:25pm

People said Arwel had an uphill battle when he signed due to his past etc, Hewitt was in the same boat but diffeently, he was lauded as a super 12 player/All Black etc, some people even had his name printed on shirts (not a personal dig Ped!), when he appeared it was patently obvious he wasn't going to live up to expectations. Some people are trying to justify their initial excitment with his arrival, with the fact that something didn't click.

And yes, I was one of those who welcomed his signing (look for the post!), I didn't think he was going to be the next messiah, I even stated (if I remember) that he was slightly on the older end of signings we shouldn't be making, but because I felt a player of his experience would be a valuable asset for younger players to learn from, I welcomed the choice.

Arwel failed not because of the fans (a ludicrous suggestion) but because his mental approach was not right, and he was blatantly not firing on all cylinders, Hewitt had a baptism of fire and blew it. Simple as.

Aled Gravelle was thrown in right at the deep end in the cup against Neath a couple of seasons ago, everyone wrote us off due to player absence etc, there was bad blood in the air from Cuddy due to the stand alone victory, Gravelle played out of his skin and was perhaps the major factor in that victory. My point is you either give it 100% and prove your worth, or you show you're just there for the ride and the money. You either have it or you don't.

Pan handle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

"These gloves are sh*t, man."

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pan handle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2005 at 6:59pm
It doesnt matter what excuses you try to find for the guy, the bottom line is he is a super 12 and ex all black he is also a prop forward so should have some degree of strengh he showed absolutely no indication of that what so ever in any of his time with the club. Good luck and good bye!
Alan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2005 at 7:11pm
So who do we get instead.....................Mr. Horsman please!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic