Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dwayne on his way!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2021 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

We've definitely had our share of first time Head coach promotions in recent years, including Pivac. Some of them with no tangible experience, or certainly no relative experience outside of the Scarlets.
I'm not sure it's fair to say they rarely work though, in most cases they went on to better jobs/offers, which suggests we did something right.

I'm actually looking for some stability as much as anything, no one much agrees with me on how disruptive that last few seasons have been, and along the way how any succession plan went out of the window with that perpetual change at Head coach.

If Peel just wanted to take a job back in Wales, or one that didn't challenge him. or even one he thought he wasn't ready for, then he could glide along at the Blues. He chose not to. I quite like that.

I completely agree with this. Continuity is underrated. 

Pivac’s final year, Moar building something new then up and out plus Delaney being supply teacher during covid is a LOT of disruption. 
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
Sponsored Links

Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2021 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

So our new head coach is a person who has never been a head coach.

I can do skeptical, but I do feel this is a bit cynical.

It implies that only people who have been head coach, can be head coach. Not much future in that as an approach in my view really.

Peel has enough grounding to move on to the next level, most importantly to me though is that the grounding work has been outside of Wales.

TBH I don't profess to have much direct knowledge about Peel's leadership or coaching pedigree, but I am prepared to invest in supporting his appointment.

Good luck.

I feel we've done this method enough before. And it has rarely worked. How many of the top sides who win trophies employ this method of head coach recruitment?

We've definitely had our share of first time Head coach promotions in recent years, including Pivac. Some of them with no tangible experience, or certainly no relative experience outside of the Scarlets.
I'm not sure it's fair to say they rarely work though, in most cases they went on to better jobs/offers, which suggests we did something right.

I'm actually looking for some stability as much as anything, no one much agrees with me on how disruptive that last few seasons have been, and along the way how any succession plan went out of the window with that perpetual change at Head coach.

If Peel just wanted to take a job back in Wales, or one that didn't challenge him. or even one he thought he wasn't ready for, then he could glide along at the Blues. He chose not to. I quite like that.

Pivac had had 5 different jobs as a head coach before joining the Scarlets. I agree with you 100% about the stability thing by the way. Hopefully this provides it.

I’m sorry I didn’t include any of his head coach attributes at ITM level in NZ 20+ years ago, but I should have done as most of it was top tier at the time.

Edited by Wil Chips - 19 April 2021 at 4:29pm
christaff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote christaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2021 at 4:29pm
Can only echo what most people are saying as I think it's a positive appointment and hopefully back to a style of rugby associated with the scarlets. May take a bit of time and patience but a very good start moving forward. Welcome back dwayne
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2021 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by Rob Hunt Rob Hunt wrote:

I’m delighted with Dwayne’s appointment. As regards other changes in the coaching set up I’m not sure that in the current financial situation we are in a position to pay off the contracts of any coaches that we want to offload. Today Tottenham sacked Jose Mourinho and the other four members of his coaching team, but that’s in a different financial world to the one in which we operate.
 I don’t know anything about the capabilities of our current set up although I believe that Richard Kelly is well thought of as a forwards coach.

It’s a great day for me.  I’ve been a season ticket holder for nearly 40 years answer also a Spurs fan for the same number of years.  This season has been depressed (both as a scarlets and spurs fan) due to the negative playing styles/ selections of both sides.
Hopefully both teams will return to the style of play that both are renowned for.Smile
PritchyTheScarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Young Munster 2004 - Neyland RFC Tour

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PritchyTheScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2021 at 5:01pm
Croeso nôl Dwayne!
“Gareth Edwards just ran 30 yards and got a Knighthood, I sidestepped five players and got arthritis in both knees.” - Benny
Sandman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2021 at 5:12pm
As I’ve mentioned previously, Dwayne is a very ambitious young man. Even at the start of his young coaching career, his intention was always to be a head coach. His career thus far has been building ultimately to arrive at this point. He hasn’t suddenly just thought to himself that head coach is worth a punt. I have no doubt he’ll be extremely successful both on and off the field. Don’t be fooled by his age or supposed lack of coaching experience. He knows exactly what he’s doing. Croeso nol pal. 
Only one team plays in red. (Sorry, Scarlet)
Jones2004 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2021 at 5:21pm
Very pleased with this. The Ulster attack has been very good every time I’ve seen it (which isn’t particularly often admittedly) and if Dwayne can transfer that skillset to this job I’m sure he’ll be a success. As others have pointed out Cullen had no HC experience when appointed to Leinster and he’s made a decent fist of it to say the least! If Dwayne can do a fraction of what Cullen has done there then I’ll be very happy indeed. 
Exkixu View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exkixu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2021 at 6:31pm

I can do skeptical, but I do feel this is a bit cynical.

It implies that only people who have been head coach, can be head coach. Not much future in that as an approach in my view really.

Peel has enough grounding to move on to the next level, most importantly to me though is that the grounding work has been outside of Wales.

TBH I don't profess to have much direct knowledge about Peel's leadership or coaching pedigree, but I am prepared to invest in supporting his appointment.

Good luck.

I feel we've done this method enough before. And it has rarely worked. How many of the top sides who win trophies employ this method of head coach recruitment?

Pivac had had 5 different jobs as a head coach before joining the Scarlets. I agree with you 100% about the stability thing by the way. Hopefully this provides it.

Moaar didn't have any experience as head coach, except for one year in the ITM Cup in 2015 (if the wiki is correct)
I'm guessing we'll have Delaney kinda guiding him along the way for a year? 
1 Xavier Rush   2 Rhys Priestland   3 David Lyons   Cardiff Blues - Scarlets, 26/09/09      

More carries than any of our forwards. Priestland Fan Club Proud Member
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2021 at 6:55pm
The link is broken??
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2021 at 7:06pm

Originally posted by Rob Hunt Rob Hunt wrote:

If the criterion for being appointed as head coach is previous experience in such a position, how does anybody get appointed to as head coach for the first time?

Preferably they start to learn their trade at a club lower down the rugby structure. Then if they are any good they may be fortunate enough to apply for and successfully get a job at a professional side.

We've taken yet another punt. Clearly most people are fine about this.
If we were coming off the back of success, there would be different bar set. We're not.
And Peel is bringing a lot of first class experience with him.

The proof of our commitment will come in what happens to Whiffy et al.
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2021 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by pillory pillory wrote:

Muderack: "Dwayne’s appointment is part of our long-term planning to further strengthen our team off the field."

Long-term planning? So, what else? Glenn moves after staying upstairs to see out his contract, then what? Another DoR? Assistants changed around?
I'm sure that it's all part of our deal with the All Blacks and Hansen is on the way as a consultant.
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2021 at 7:26pm
Ulster have played 20 competitive games this year. If we’re to look at the stats of what Peel’s done..

They’ve scored 40 or more points: 6 times.
30 or more: 10 times.
Less than 10 points: 0 times.

By comparison we’ve also played 20 competitive games.

40 or more points: 2 times.
30 or more: 3 times.
Less than 10: 2 times.

SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2021 at 7:35pm
84.5% of stats are made up. 
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2021 at 7:55pm
This has to be good news - Dwayne has done well in his previous coaching posts, and is a real Scarlet.
Will it work out? Who knows - sport is a funny business - but ATM it looks like the right decision. That's all you can ask for, really - to take the decision which looks right at a point in time, based on the available evidence. 

Let's hope it turns out well for all concerned.

In the meantime - croeso nol, Dwayne!
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
jeremy windell View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeremy windell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2021 at 8:01pm
Correct me if I'm wrong, but did Brad Mooar have any previous head coach experience before coming on board?

This is a very promising signing.

Best of luck to a returning Scarlet.
Go ahead..........Take those banana's
Mr Lee91 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Lee91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2021 at 8:11pm
Exciting news, a proven attack coach in our ranks.
Pob lwc Dwayne.

Lets have the rest of the signings/retentions and leavers announced, playing and coaching staff, tomorrow please.

May be wrong but I believe Delaney said there would be an additional 2 backroom staff for next season.
Peel is one, is there another?
As long as you win it once, you'll never be forgotten
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic