Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Favourite quotes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favourite quotes
    Posted: 20 February 2023 at 11:25pm
Come on people I get videos of inspiring stuff sent to me by Scarlet supporters.....can you share words that inspire you ....just asking ...

I will give a short one from my boyhood hero Carl Sagan " We are all made of starstuff ".

Superb.

In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
Sponsored Links

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2023 at 7:28am
Well Lofty ever since I went to see Dafydd Iwan in a barn somewhere in deepest Nantgaredig probably 40 years ago I have always had a huge positive reaction when I hear Yma o hyd. It always has and always will move me. 

As a side note the warm up act that night in Nantgaredig was a very young comic called Nigel Owen - mam fach happy days. 
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2023 at 9:32am
One of my favourite's is from Alun Wyn Bevan he was out walking when he came across someone and went to speak Welsh to him the bloke said i'm sorry but i can understand Welsh but can't speak it Alun replied "yes i've got a dog at home exactly the same"
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2023 at 9:44am
“ God is not on the side of the big battalions but on the side of the best shots” voltaire
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2023 at 10:13am
"Looks like the cows have come home to roost" - Frank Drebin. 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2023 at 10:36am
Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

"Looks like the cows have come home to roost" - Frank Drebin. 
 WinkWink
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2023 at 10:38am
We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars” oscar wilde
lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2023 at 1:13pm
Forgive me for this but this poem by Charles bukowski...is my personal motivational poem..saved me in so many ways...just thought I'd share.

Your life is your life don't let it be clubbed into dank submission. 
Be on the watch
There are ways out.
There is a light somewhere. 
It may not be much light but it beats the darkness.
Be on the watch.
The gods will offer you chances.
Know them.
Take them.
You can't beat death but you can beat death in life, sometimes. 
And the more often you learn to do it, the more light there will be.
Your life is your life.
Know it while you have it.
You are marvellous the gods wait to delight in you.

aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2023 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by lofty evans lofty evans wrote:

Forgive me for this but this poem by Charles bukowski...is my personal motivational poem..saved me in so many ways...just thought I'd share.

Interesting topic, Lofty - have you read any of Bukowski's novels? I liked 'Post Office' and 'Ham on Rye'.

In response to your request - I have many favourites, but for now I'll offer these:

"He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how." - Friedrich Nietzsche

"I can resist anything except temptation" - Oscar Wilde

and for the Physicists amongst us:

"Housekeeping is nothing more than a losing encounter with entropy." Claire Oshetsky
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2023 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Originally posted by lofty evans lofty evans wrote:

Interesting topic, Lofty - have you read any of Bukowski's novels? I liked 'Post Office' and 'Ham on Rye'.

In response to your request - I have many favourites, but for now I'll offer these:

"He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how." - Friedrich Nietzsche

"I can resist anything except temptation" - Oscar Wilde

and for the Physicists amongst us:

"Housekeeping is nothing more than a losing encounter with entropy." Claire Oshetsky

Yes I have, I love his work tbh Sir.

Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2023 at 2:03pm

" When you know within yourself there is something you want to do and I believe that all of us were born with a purpose, that all of us have something we are supposed to do.
And all of us have some goodness within us and that goodness gives us a responsibility to manifest our greatness.
Not only is it possible for you to have your dream, but it's necessary, it's necessary for you to have it, that you work on it , that you develop yourself, that you go for what is yours in the Universe".

Les Brown.

RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2023 at 2:20pm
“Stop throwing those bloody spears at me” micheal caine zuluWink
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2023 at 3:12pm
African proverb

" If there's no enemy within, then the enemy outside can do you no harm"

Actually love this.

dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2023 at 8:01am
"The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made." - Groucho Marx.

I still think this is brilliant and very appropriate for much of our society, unfortunately. I think about it most days listening to politicians, bosses, anyone on TV really.

Plus, in terms of physics quotes, how about Oppenheimer "Now I am become death, the destroyer of worlds". 

Brutal. Although I think was originally a Hindu saying? I doubt about the same topic.
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2023 at 10:40am
All mushrooms are edible but some you can only eat once 

Terry Pratchett
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2023 at 11:24am
[beep] the WRU
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic