FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fever One Tour : Castres December 2023

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2023 at 8:54am
Originally posted by Dai38 Dai38 wrote:

Hi all from the Fever One Tour.
I was not part of the trip, but I did meet a lot on the tour, most I never knew except their "names" on Scarlet Fever. It was wonderful to meet you all, it was a great w/e, enhanced by my new friends. We drank a few bottles of vin rouge and as Gareth said exchanged rugby tales over the past 50/60 years, even though openly admitting I was a rugby player by name only, but still enjoyed the game, I have a lot in common with the young props in the Scarlets. On the rugby front I spoke to Tyrone Ardron ex Ospreys back 5 player who is now Castres 1st choice 8, he was glad to meet us as he rarely spoke English now, but a really good guy, and he explained that the budget for Castres was between £15-£20 million, and he just smiled when we told him the Scarlets were in the region of £5 million, that was the difference on the day, the team played reasonably well, except for the lineout, and only fell apart when both benches arrived. That is what the Scarlets are up against this season.
Gareth my carers (I rather that than minders) were Bryan & John. Thanks again Fever Tour hope to see you all again either at home or abroad. The only trouble this time was I came home with a horrible cold, which has messed my next 3-4 days. I hope to make the big game on Sat.. Llanelli Wanderers v Kidwelly, and also the preview on Friday playing against the Black Lion. Diolch yn fawr pawb. Nadolig Llawen a Blwyddyn Newydd Dda i chi gyd.  

Thumbs Up
Sponsored Links

Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2023 at 8:51am
Hi all from the Fever One Tour.
I was not part of the trip, but I did meet a lot on the tour, most I never knew except their "names" on Scarlet Fever. It was wonderful to meet you all, it was a great w/e, enhanced by my new friends. We drank a few bottles of vin rouge and as Gareth said exchanged rugby tales over the past 50/60 years, even though openly admitting I was a rugby player by name only, but still enjoyed the game, I have a lot in common with the young props in the Scarlets. On the rugby front I spoke to Tyrone Ardron ex Ospreys back 5 player who is now Castres 1st choice 8, he was glad to meet us as he rarely spoke English now, but a really good guy, and he explained that the budget for Castres was between £15-£20 million, and he just smiled when we told him the Scarlets were in the region of £5 million, that was the difference on the day, the team played reasonably well, except for the lineout, and only fell apart when both benches arrived. That is what the Scarlets are up against this season.
Gareth my carers (I rather that than minders) were Bryan & John. Thanks again Fever Tour hope to see you all again either at home or abroad. The only trouble this time was I came home with a horrible cold, which has messed my next 3-4 days. I hope to make the big game on Sat.. Llanelli Wanderers v Kidwelly, and also the preview on Friday playing against the Black Lion. Diolch yn fawr pawb. Nadolig Llawen a Blwyddyn Newydd Dda i chi gyd.  
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2023 at 7:00am
Can I place on record my sincere thanks for all the very kind comments about our trip to Castres. It was indeed a great trip and everyone involved made a huge contribution. I thoroughly enjoyed meeting new friends and getting to know some detail behind their individual stories & their paths to becoming Scarlet supporters. 

That road is long & varied with some great tales along the way. An honourable mention to David ( Dai38 I think) & his two minders - whose names have escaped my memory which at the time was riding a vin rouge cloud - my apologies. We met up at night in the hotel bar and shared wonderful tales of past exploits delivered in that poetic language made famous by Dylan Thomas & Richard Burton - great times indeed so many thanks one & all.

Fever tours 2 was indeed discussed with nothing concrete planned at the moment. I guess the basis of a tour is the destination. Many European destinations - mainly in France would qualify indeed somewhere like Galway or Zebre from the URC. The aim I think has to be to cater for all characters as much as we can. For instance many on this trip did not touch alcohol or only indulged very little but that did not deter from them contributing fully to the success of the tour. Many of us for instance could be found on Sunday morning at the Goya Museum which was a delightful way to spend a couple of hours with the gardens worth a visit alone. 

I make no apology for saying that the behaviour of a small minority of Scarlet supporters I have come across on my travels leaves me feeling slight embarrassment & indeed a degree of pity for the condition they find themselves in - we should never forget that when are wearing the Scarlet colours as supporters we represent the many thousands who attend PYS religiously & indeed the wider region. I am delighted to confirm that all 15 fever one travellers represented our team impeccably.

There were too many stars on the trip to mention individually but a final word for the two senior tourists both over 80 - David & Cliff. Both regaled us with tales of past exploits either in his sports journalist career in the case of David or Cliff from his military and fine playing career - all indeed Scarlet Gold. Watch this space all. Diolch. Thumbs Up
GordonLewis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GordonLewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2023 at 9:21pm
I agree with everything said. Gareth, you have exceptional organisational skills and I look forward to you using them again for Fever 2 - Zebre in May. Count us in. 
Castres fans were so hospitable, I'm sure they would have let Hilary and I in with our Easyjet boarding passes... it would have saved a long walk/run and a minor marital issue.
Diolch i pawb.
Gordon
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2023 at 12:04pm

Just like to re-iterate what all other fellow travellers have said and thank Gareth for w fantastically organised trip! 

Great to make new friends! and onwards and upwards to Fever2! 

Brilliant memories for me travelling with team on way out and a huge thank you! To Dwayne , back room staff and players for mixed freely with our supporters on Saturday night . Every player can hold there head high ! for commitment and die for the shirt attitude in France .

I cannot end this post without thanking the people of Castres , what a welcome !!! The Gary Whetton bar before and after the game bouncing! Absolutely amazing of Castres rugby for all the free Guinness pre match . Us Turks certainly consumed a jug or two!
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2023 at 11:18am
Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

Rumours  floating around the Scarlets squad requested to be on same flight, has Scarlets 🤒 fever tours . Watch this space fellow travellers...Wink
That made me smile. Smile

Sounds like you all had a fantastic time. Clap
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
From the far side View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote From the far side Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2023 at 11:08am
May I third the sentiments of Lee (aka Harry Potter)and Mark in thanking Gareth for his efforts as tour leader, host and general factotum. What a combination that proved to be and not even a broken down aircraft could detract from a memorable first Scarlet Fever tour. At the outset I knew none of my dozen fellow travellers but returned with a lot of new friends.
The rugby, despite the defeat, was in some ways encouraging and you could not fault the effort that the boys put in. But more than the game I came to realise just how much scarlets mean to an awful lot of people- a list which you can add one more name.

scarletpimp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2023 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by Bill Bison Bill Bison wrote:

This weekend:

Great experience at the Renaissance Hotel (Harry Potter Room, The Chamber of Secrets), with Rafael the manager and his team, so helpful and welcoming.

Castres, the people, the Christmas Market, the light show on the river, the Irish Bar, the effort from the team at the match, the food, all so memorable.

Most importantly, met with so many new friends, and the organisation of the trip by Gareth was perfect.

Thanks Gareth

I would  like to second what Bill ( Lee) and Tim have said above.
All Gareths well laid plans came to fruition. 
Planning is 9 tenths,of everything, but there  is also  plenty of room for spontaneity,  as we found out on the trip.
Gar will undoubtedly  be embarrassed  by all the praise, but its richly deserved.He's worked so hard and that work has given a lot of joy and happiness. 
There were  some moments  of surprise, such as on the flight out, when we discovered that we would be sharing  the flight,  with both Scarlets and Cardiff squads. Great to have the chance to chat to some players, but its also indicative of the state of play in Welsh rugby that budget flights with fans are the norm.LOL
Castres is a lovely place, historic,  cultured,  with lovely restaurants,  and the the remarkable  Goya museum, with works of old  masters like Velasquez and Goya , right up to modernist artists  like Picasso. 
The French are proud of their towns,  and there was not a piece of litter to be seen. What a contrast to parts of Llanelli, underlining the pathetic,  ' couldn't  care less ' attitude, of a sizeable minority who live here. NO pride, no standards,  well nothing really !

The welcome we received  from both the hotel and in Castres itself,  was outstanding  !
You cannot plan for that warmth, so it was lovely.
I would go back tomorrow. 

I was like to thank  the those who travelled  for their company.
We met as strangers, and left as friends. 
There will be more contact, on matchdays, and at other times.
This was one of the reasons I joined Scarletfever,  to enjoy & share views with fellow Scarlets , but also to make new friends.

I am never surprised  by the dedication,  and sheer loyalty  and enthusiasm  of Scarlets  supporters,  many have travelled call over Europe for years to support  the team. 
I salute  you !

The final word must go to a special person Mr Gareth GPR Rochester'
Roberts,  who made everything  happen. 
Loved every minute  of his company, and if he wants help to organise future  'Fever Tours', I am sure there will be other ( myself included), who would  step up and help.
It would be wonderful,  if this was repeated, as you want to bottle these magical  memories,  and keep them for ever.
Thank you Gareth ,thank you everyone, thank you Castres.  
( my comment on the game, will appear on the other thread).
I stood yer on tanner bank
Bill Bison View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bill Bison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2023 at 10:20pm

This weekend:

Great experience at the Renaissance Hotel (Harry Potter Room, The Chamber of Secrets), with Rafael the manager and his team, so helpful and welcoming.

Castres, the people, the Christmas Market, the light show on the river, the Irish Bar, the effort from the team at the match, the food, all so memorable.

Most importantly, met with so many new friends, and the organisation of the trip by Gareth was perfect.

Thanks Gareth

It’s a dangerous thing to mistake speaking without thought for speaking the truth
tim d View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tim d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2023 at 9:02pm
Just wanted to thank Gareth for organizing the trip. It couldn't have gone any better ( except the result) and it was nice to put faces to names . A great gang of people. Hopefully another one in the future. 
I'm sick of it
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2023 at 10:23am
Originally posted by GordonLewis GordonLewis wrote:

Sorry Gareth. Just checked and it's closed on Sundays

No problem - we will find somewhere I am sure. Trying my best to stay out of the Irish bar at least for a few hours. Big smile Have a good meal tomorrow night. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GordonLewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2023 at 9:57am
Sorry Gareth. Just checked and it's closed on Sundays

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GordonLewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2023 at 9:56am
Just checked and sorry it's closed on Sundays. We'll find somewhere...
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2023 at 9:23am
Originally posted by ewbank2 ewbank2 wrote:

Safe travels fellow Turks. 3 of us heading to Toulouse tomorrow night via Gatwick arriving into Castres Friday lunchtime. A bientot

And to you. Suggested meeting place pre game is the supporters bar under the North Stand. Take care may see you there. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2023 at 9:19am
Originally posted by townboy townboy wrote:

Safe trip to you all,enjoy the weekend hope we can get the win to make the trip even better..Great work again GPR in organising this trip

Many thanks.
townboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote townboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2023 at 9:18am
Safe trip to you all,enjoy the weekend hope we can get the win to make the trip even better..Great work again GPR in organising this trip
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
  Share Topic