Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Food & Cooking Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920>
Author
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2024 at 11:49am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Had salmon en croute with Diane's homemade shortcrust pastry last night with a bottle of Rioja white - very tasty all round. While prepping our potato bed last week for the next planting we found some charlotte salad spuds which we had missed. Scrubbed them & roasted them to accompany the salmon - very good.

Chilli con carne with tomato salsa & garlic bread pre game with some Messi malbec. 
Most appetising.

We’re on a rump steak plus accompaniments this evening. A first taste of a much trumpeted Drew Bledsoe red.

How was the red? How do you/Mrs EO serve the rump?
The red was spectacular and at that price it should be. It was the Double Back. There’s a one day only big discount on his wine today to coincide with Super Bowl.

Often it’s jacket potato with a crème fraîche sauce. Last night, we had very nice rounded, veg-filled potatoes plus some beans. Rump served rare. Yummy.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Sponsored Links

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2024 at 7:55am
Pre matches this weekend we are going full guns - steak Diane with dauphinoise potatoes & sprouting brocolli. Contentment of full tummy combined with some Messi malbec should help take the sting out of what I am fearful of witnessing from Dublin. 
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2024 at 6:38pm

Pre matches this weekend we are going full guns - steak Diane with dauphinoise potatoes & sprouting brocolli. Contentment of full tummy combined with some Messi malbec should help take the sting out of what I am fearful of witnessing from Dublin. 
Sounds most appetising.

Have you ordered the Premium Messi on its half price offer from Sporting Wines?
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2024 at 7:29am

Sounds most appetising.

New there was something on my to do list!!!!!
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2024 at 11:56am

Sounds most appetising.

Oversight corrected with help from Titus. Could be here in time for me to drown my sorrows after the game in Dublin. 
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2024 at 6:25pm

Sounds most appetising.

Oversight corrected with help from Titus. Could be here in time for me to drown my sorrows after the game in Dublin. 
Cometh the hour, cometh the Premium Messi Malbec….Hug
scarletpimp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 February 2024 at 12:27pm
As a novice in comparative terms to GPR, I enjoy  cooking,and  have been very lucky to be the recipient of several of Gareths recipies,. Fish pie and Cassoulet,  in particular  have worked a treat.
I would welcome anyone with recipes to exchange...its great!

Today I made trifle, but more importantly, for the first time, blackberry  jam, from some of the frozen blackberries picked locally last year.
Any tips or general advice on jam making I really welcome.

On a very sad note, learned today of the passing of Dave Myers, of Hairy Biker fame, who had been suffering  from cancer, diagnosed in Jan 22
My wife and I have  followed Dave and Si King from the early days,and find many of the the things they do easy to follow. Most off all its their infectious enthusiasm,  combined with a real down to earth normality and humour.
"You will be missed Dave,  but fortunately we have so much footage of you ,and many fond memories to remember you  " RIP
I stood yer on tanner bank
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2024 at 4:11pm
As Pimp referred to yesterday, it was sad news that the beacon of fun and food that was Dave Myers passed away yesterday.

Mrs EO suggested that we eat one of their recipes tomorrow evening. It’s either their Chicken Jalfrezi or Chicken Tikka Masala. We’ve eaten both before. They’re excellent and the Hairy Bikers recipes often turn out to be fairly punchy spice wise.

May well have a 9-3 to go with the food. Not quite decided yet.

Bon appé*** to all.

EDIT - for the avoidance of doubt, the censored bit is Bon appe*** Wacko

SECOND EDIT - the last 3 letters are tee one tee

Edited by Eastern outpost - 01 March 2024 at 4:13pm
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2024 at 9:53am
We made a turkey & ham pie last night from Xmas leftovers. Diane made her lovely shortcrust pastry & we used some of the last leeks from last year's crop in the sauce - very tasty. 
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2024 at 10:15am

We made a turkey & ham pie last night from Xmas leftovers. Diane made her lovely shortcrust pastry & we used some of the last leeks from last year's crop in the sauce - very tasty. 
Great recycling and storage in between times. A good pie is lovely - crust all round rather than just on the top, for me. Anything else is not a pie.

Our Hairy Bikers, Dave Myers tribute, Chicken Tikka Masala was excellent. The opening up of the spices gave a lovely aroma and got the juices going from early on.
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2024 at 7:35pm
Anyone see this week’s Hairy Bikers Go West episode? They were in North West Wales. 

One producer they featured caught my eye and it was the owner of the Model Bakery in Blaenau FFestiniog - Murang, I think, his name is. He’s invented Kurdish Pies and they’ve gone down a storm. 

They also featured a Nigerian lady who had become a pillar of the community. Her Nigerian cuisine has proved very popular. She also does a lot of sauces and rubs - under the name of Maggie’s iirc.

Has anyone on here tasted either of these producers goods? I’d be interested in your opinions.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2024 at 10:09am
wagyu steak , talk to me folks, worth it or over hyped?

Edited by RR1972 - 07 March 2024 at 10:09am
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2024 at 10:11am

Anyone see this week’s Hairy Bikers Go West episode? They were in North West Wales. 

One producer they featured caught my eye and it was the owner of the Model Bakery in Blaenau FFestiniog - Murang, I think, his name is. He’s invented Kurdish Pies and they’ve gone down a storm. 

They also featured a Nigerian lady who had become a pillar of the community. Her Nigerian cuisine has proved very popular. She also does a lot of sauces and rubs - under the name of Maggie’s iirc.

Has anyone on here tasted either of these producers goods? I’d be interested in your  opinions.
ive worked in nigeria food is v mixed , lots of spice and funky rice dishes for some reason they seem to eat lot of goat. i didn’t enjoy it but i have a pretty bland pallet tbh. if you like african food you will enjoy it not sure what wine you would pair with it tbhWink

Edited by RR1972 - 07 March 2024 at 10:15am
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2024 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Over hyped RR. Stick to Welsh black fed on welsh grass. 
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2024 at 1:16pm

Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Over hyped RR. Stick to Welsh black fed on welsh grass. 
Mrs EO shares that view re overhype. It’s not been a WOW moment when you eat it, for me, either.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2024 at 7:03am
Couple of new recipes to us this weekend - tonight seafood pie with salmon, cod & prawns featuring a topping of grated shortcrust pastry combined with gruyere. Tomorrow Irish stew. Bottles of 9-3 & premier malbec on hand to accompany. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920>
  Share Topic