Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mike Phillips joins the Ospreys

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonescnnr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mike Phillips joins the Ospreys
    Posted: 18 February 2007 at 3:06pm

Signs for Ospreys for £300000 over 2 years,are they mad,they will have over half a million pounds worth of scrum half there with Marshall next season,cant blame him hes obviously money motivated,their wage bill must be millions of pounds every season and for what, get knocked out in the group stages and mediocre ML place-money well spent.

The problem the Os will have is on paper it looks a great squad,but how many times have I looked at our team going away from home thinking we will murder that Scots team etc only to get thumped-I think we rate a lot of our players in Wales better than what they really are. 

jonesy
Sponsored Links

Delboy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2007 at 3:09pm
In 1972 a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court, for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground.
GA PLUM View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GA PLUM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2007 at 3:10pm
He'll be on £180,000 a year. That's a lovely wage. Him and Marshall will be having a nice fight for the number9 jersey.

Laguna View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laguna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2007 at 3:11pm

£180,000 per year for Mike Phillips - thats a lot of money. I cant understand where the Ospreys get the money from.

They are certainly building a very very strong side. Even their 2nd team this year are just as good as their firsts. However Im not sure if they need to keep spending loads on more internationals. They may have problems developing these players to play as a team.

GA PLUM View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GA PLUM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2007 at 3:13pm
If they had a coach they would win the Heineken cup IMO.

Laguna View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laguna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2007 at 3:13pm
I think a new welsh back partnership is trying to be formed here. Hook+Phillips will try damn hard to take over Stevo+Peel.
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2007 at 3:22pm
Left the Scarlets because he didn't want to play second fiddle to Peel and improve his Wales selection chances by getting match practice and now there's the risk he'll be in the same situation with Marshall.
ScarletHeart View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletHeart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2007 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by Laguna Laguna wrote:

£180,000 per year for Mike Phillips - thats a lot of money. I cant understand where the Ospreys get the money from.

They are certainly building a very very strong side. Even their 2nd team this year are just as good as their firsts. However Im not sure if they need to keep spending loads on more internationals. They may have problems developing these players to play as a team.

Stephen Jones earns only £20,000 more than phillips per year and is a far far better player.

This is one of the benefits of having a big stadium. Yes it has no atmosphere and they get only average attendances but the stadium can be used for lots of other functions and will also attract alot of sponsors. This is where the money is coming from IMO.

[IMG]
ScarletHeart View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletHeart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2007 at 3:31pm

There is another rumour linking the blues with spice. I hope this is true otherwise they could come sniffing round here and steal one of our hot prospects from us. Liam Davies and Lee Williams are both very good prospects and I'd hate to see them leave.

[IMG]
unllygeidiog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unllygeidiog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2007 at 3:57pm
If true , losing Phillips is a hell of a blow for the Blues, though; along with Rush, he's one of their best performers by some way.
Our greatest son.
DIXX View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
WHAT A KIP!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DIXX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2007 at 4:06pm

i think this is shocking. i can fully understand his move to the blues for more first team action, but his move to the ospreys is purely money motivated. lyn jones or dai young, hmmm, no contest in coaching ability. gone from a side who wanted to build a team around him to a side where he could easily be the worlds most expensive bench warmer.

24years old, and he has 3 proffessional clubs to his name. the guy hasnot signed a second contract at one club yet.

greed and nothing more.

also, i thought these days of bidding wars was over with regional rugby, especially with welsh players.

ospreys are trying to buy a side rather than build a team spirit. its disgraceful. ill welcome martin roberts here with open arms, he's obviously not wanted with the ospreys. lyn jones has let good scrum halves go with andy williams and richard rees.

Parc y Scarlets - Where the Wild Roses Grow so Scarlet and Free
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2007 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by DIXX DIXX wrote:

also, i thought these days of bidding wars was over with regional rugby, especially with welsh players.

That's only just beginning. MJW? Gough now as another example. It'll end up pushing the wages up to stupid levels IF they are to stay in Wales. Not to mention players being massively overrated and then shown up at International/HC level.

And sub-standard foreigners being brought in (now where have we seen that...)

Edited by dr_martinov
kingisgod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingisgod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2007 at 4:38pm
this proves that mike phillips is a golddigger! all the rubbish about joining the blues for first team rugby! says it all, he aint even that good
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2007 at 4:43pm
I think he's a good player, different style than Peel, more grunt. He should have come on in the Scotland game.  
ragydybyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ragydybyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2007 at 4:45pm

i think this is shocking. i can fully understand his move to the blues for more first team action, but his move to the ospreys is purely money motivated. lyn jones or dai young, hmmm, no contest in coaching ability. gone from a side who wanted to build a team around him to a side where he could easily be the worlds most expensive bench warmer.

24years old, and he has 3 proffessional clubs to his name. the guy hasnot signed a second contract at one club yet.

greed and nothing more.

ospreys are trying to buy a side rather than build a team spirit. its disgraceful. ill welcome martin roberts here with open arms, he's obviously not wanted with the ospreys. lyn jones has let good scrum halves go with andy williams and richard rees.

Define Good? Williams hasnt been able to secure the starting berth at Bath (twice) and the Ospreys yet he is one of those players where the hype is stronger than the reality. LJ gets slated for letting him go but perhaps the truth is that any number of coaches feel that he is a good back up player but not the real deal in terms of consistency and real quality.

Phillips will be away for a sizeable chunk of next season (world cup followed by inevitable rest period then 6 nations). During this time I would hope  that Roberts gets more game time

Delboy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2007 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by ragydybyd ragydybyd wrote:

greed and nothing more.

Define Good? Williams hasnt been able to secure the starting berth at Bath (twice) and the Ospreys yet he is one of those players where the hype is stronger than the reality. LJ gets slated for letting him go but perhaps the truth is that any number of coaches feel that he is a good back up player but not the real deal in terms of consistency and real quality.

Phillips will be away for a sizeable chunk of next season (world cup followed by inevitable rest period then 6 nations). During this time I would hope  that Roberts gets more game time

Roberts is unlikely to get much game time if Marshall is still on the scene

In 1972 a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court, for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic