Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > ORDERED
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

British and Irish Lions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: British and Irish Lions
    Posted: 11 November 2004 at 8:55pm

Just out of interest, all those that do not consider themselves British - do you support the Lions?

Sponsored Links

Boynsmun View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boynsmun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2004 at 8:59pm
Only the Welsh, Scottish and Irish ones Must admit, it gets a tad confusing! xx
Mike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2004 at 9:03pm

Originally posted by Boynsmun Boynsmun wrote:

Do you want the team to win ultimately?

Do you cheer mistakes made by English Lions?

Edited by Mike
redeyes View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redeyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2004 at 9:14pm
there are very few occasions when i support an english rugby player, when he is wearing a lions shirt being one of them.
The stadium may change, but the dream will remain the same!

P Davies View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P Davies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2004 at 9:17pm
I do support the Lions.  But it should be called the British Isles Lions, not British and Irish Lions.  Wales will always be first for me as I'm Welsh through and through.  Put it this way, I'm not absolutely gutted when the Lions lose like I am when Wales lose.
Boynsmun View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boynsmun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2004 at 9:21pm
To respond seriously (ish) ...

I was born in London, was brought up in Wales, have a Welsh Father, Scottish Mother and Irish Grandparents!! In addition to all of that I was adopted (apparently my biological mother was scottish too).

Anyway, as far as identity is concerned, I am definitely Welsh first, British second and have Scottish sympathies!

When it comes to attitude and culture I am probably one of the least bigoted/judgemental people I know (genuine, honest assessment). However I cannot seem to help myself having a problem with supporting the English! This attitude only appears where rugby is concerned though. I'll happily cheer on the English in any other sport/venture, whatever.

I know this attitude makes no sense whatsoever and I neither understand it or like myself very much for it. Can't deny it exists though!

Anyway! Therein lies my confusion when it comes to the lions! xx

Edited by Boynsmun
Mike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2004 at 9:23pm

To respond seriously (ish) ...

I was born in London, was brought up in Wales, have a Welsh Father, Scottish Mother and Irish Grandparents!! In addition to all of that I was adopted (apparently my biological mother was scottish too).

Anyway, as far as identity is concerned, I am definitely Welsh first, British second and have Scottish sympathies!

When it comes to attitude and culture I am probably one of the least bigoted/judgemental people I know (genuine, honest assessment). However I cannot seem to help myself having a problem with supporting the English! This attitude only appears where rugby is concerned though. I'll happily cheer on the English in any other sport/venture, whatever.

I know this attitude makes no sense whatsoever and I neither understand it or like myself very much for it. Can't deny it exists though!

Anyway! Therein lies my confusion when it comes to the lions! xx

Your honesty is commendable!

Boynsmun View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boynsmun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2004 at 9:26pm
I know - sickening really isn't it!!
bin laden View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
THE TROPHY CABINET IS OPEN FOR BUSINESS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bin laden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2004 at 9:26pm
a celt first and foremost,will always support the lions though.wouldnt support england alone but their players as part of the lions then yes,because they are not english,welsh,scottish or irish when they put on the red shirt(red not white) they are lions .
Yes,I am back with a stewards view on things.

Pedro Diniz View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pedro Diniz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2004 at 11:05pm
Welsh first, always and forever. Yes I do cheer a mistake by an English Lion, depending on WHO that player is. Yes I do follow the Lions (be it British and Irish, or whatever you want to call them), and as redeyes said, it'd be the only time I'd "shout" for an Englishman.
"I can't see the Germans getting back into this...they've only got Kuntz up front..."
(Alan Hansen, during Euro 96).
MikeM View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2004 at 11:24pm

I shout for them all because I want to see the southern hemisphere teams being beaten. They can be more arrogant than the english sometimes.

Remember that ringer who beat the hell out of Ogara the last time on OZ. I say he was a ringer because that was most definitely planned. (well in my view it was)

Through Thick And Thin!
ursamajor View Drop Down
Founder
Founder

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ursamajor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2004 at 11:44pm
Originally posted by Mike Mike wrote:

Do you want the team to win ultimately?

Do you cheer mistakes made by English Lions?

Of course, what do you take me for?!

Watching the Lions I'm up and down like a bride's nightie!

Jerry Dammers View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry Dammers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2004 at 8:46am
Not gutted if they lose a game, or even the series. Whilst I certainly support them in each game, I tend to treat Lions tours as exhibitions of rugby in general, regardless of who wins. Lions tours are great for atmos, excitment and usually bang on entertaining games. If The All Blacks are firing on all cylinders it's generally regarded as the most prestigious of the 3 tri nations countries to tour. Win or lose, always a good tour to watch amongst fellow rugby fans in a boozer. 
Taffscarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taffscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2004 at 9:17am
I'm not really concerned if the Lions win or lose a series. I just want the Welsh boys to be selected and do well. I do think however that the Lions tours are highlights of the rugby calendar.
Regarding supporting the English players - it's down to the individuals. Some English players I have the upmost respect for and are quite happy to see them perform well for the Lions (eg Wilko, Johnson, Robinson). As far as some of the others go - I'm not gutted if they are 'shown up'.
Daw dydd y bydd mawr y rhai bychain

Daw dydd ni bydd mwy y rhai mawr.
DIXX View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
WHAT A KIP!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DIXX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2004 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by Mike Mike wrote:

Just out of interest, all those that do not consider themselves British - do you support the Lions?

ill be honest with you! no i dont! i watch the games and wish them the best, but i dont really cast myself a supporter. ill support gareths mid week sides, but as for the rest, dont bother me! i do support GB rugby league though!!!! but thats slightly different due to the fact that im watching the best super league players and fav players of mine! i see the point your making though. and have asked it before to some people. weird ey!?

Parc y Scarlets - Where the Wild Roses Grow so Scarlet and Free
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2004 at 10:19am
I supoort the Lions through and through. Its the pinnacle of any British or Irish player to be selected for a test Lions side. Everybody must recognise that fact. I would never cheer on any team that is playing against the Lions even if the Lions consisted of 15 Englishmen. I would however, never shout for England no matter who they are playing. This is due to rivalry, just like Celtic v Rangers as we've all said on here before.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic