Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Congratulations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Congratulations
    Posted: 21 April 2007 at 8:47pm
The best team won today, the Tigers forwrds outplayed ours, good luck for the final
Sponsored Links

multinational View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote multinational Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2007 at 9:27pm

Tigers' forwards were awesome. I believe there are very few teams in the world that could have coped with that amount of pressure today. I thought our boys stood up to be counted, but we simply had no chance to impose our game plan on the match.

If we could have got one more score after we went ahead it could have been a different story, BUT well done Leicester.

although personally I'd rather support the Scarlets and watch a game of rugby!

History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again.
kornboy130 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kornboy130 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2007 at 9:45pm
although our style of rugby may seem less appealing to you - we do use our backs - we just like to batter the opposition with a few phases of hard yards first - but hopefully mauger and especially erinle can expand our backs game a bit - hope we see you guys next year!! - great game lads.

Edited by kornboy130
we love you castro :D
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote multinational Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2007 at 9:53pm

I don' t want to seem bitter in any way. Thought you played to your strengths and gave us a working over today, but it isn't attractive - simply effective and WINNING rugby.

Good luck - would hate to see the Wasps beat you to the title. After beating us, Munster and Stade I think you deserve it this year.

History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again.
dogf00d View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogf00d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2007 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by multinational multinational wrote:

I don' t want to seem bitter in any way. Thought you played to your strengths and gave us a working over today, but it isn't attractive - simply effective and WINNING rugby.

Good luck - would hate to see the Wasps beat you to the title. After beating us, Munster and Stade I think you deserve it this year.

Thanks, but...isn't winning what it's all about..?  With the greatest of respect..all you guys did was throw it wide today..that 'style' of play got you one try...

You respect Tigers fans knowledge of the game as much as we respect yours..but, you do what needs to be done to win the game. simple.  lose this myth that you play the beautiful game and you my well have a chance some time soon....

dogf00d
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote multinational Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2007 at 10:26pm

We scored 2 tries. You deserved to win. I envy you on supporting a team purely because they win. (sarcasm clear here?)

The 'beautiful game' will win the HC one day, and finally relieve the boredom of watching two teams smash ten bells out of each other. At least I hope so!

dailywaffle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dailywaffle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2007 at 11:05pm

We scored 2 tries. You deserved to win. I envy you on supporting a team purely because they win. (sarcasm clear here?)

The 'beautiful game' will win the HC one day, and finally relieve the boredom of watching two teams smash ten bells out of each other. At least I hope so!

Hi multinational

You are right in saying that, as is so often the case, it was won up front.  Our defensive organisation was also top drawer today.  I enjoy watching ML rugby (I subscribe to Setanta as well as watching S4C and BBC Wales), but I remain convinced that the Magners just doesn't give you that hard edge you need up front to win consistently.

I do think that Leicester actually played what was in front of them today, whereas Scarlets, having been suffocated out of Plan A didn't have a Plan B to switch to.  Maybe its a genetic thing (), but lateral side to side running is no more attractive than watching some of the bosh rugby one sees in the GP.

Fair play to your boys, they have entertained us all wonderfully this year, and the match at Toulouse must be one of the matches of the season.

Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote multinational Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2007 at 11:16pm

I agree with you DW, you absolutely strangled the life out of us today - quite simply there isn't a plan B available when you can't stop the opposition from driving the ball repeatedly into you.

I agree also that the ML doesn't have the 'edge' that the GP has in every match, but I also feel that the GP as a product is immensely boring. It seems the outcome of most games is dependant on who can smash the opposition more, although it does seem to breed HC winners.

Its a hard choice, forfeit exciting open rugby to win the HC, or simply stick with our style and hope it will eventually take us to the holy grail.

dailywaffle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dailywaffle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2007 at 11:22pm

I agree with you DW, you absolutely strangled the life out of us today - quite simply there isn't a plan B available when you can't stop the opposition from driving the ball repeatedly into you.

I agree also that the ML doesn't have the 'edge' that the GP has in every match, but I also feel that the GP as a product is immensely boring. It seems the outcome of most games is dependant on who can smash the opposition more, although it does seem to breed HC winners.

Its a hard choice, forfeit exciting open rugby to win the HC, or simply stick with our style and hope it will eventually take us to the holy grail.

I think there is a happy medium.  I like to see all phases of the game being played to a high standard, whether its the backs fizzing it down the line or a catch and drive.  I do agree that some GP matches are dull 'bosh fests', but I honestly feel that (I am speaking generally now) the GP gets a bad press.  There are teams in the GP that play 'total' rugby.  Biased I may be, but I would include Leicester in that category.  I do not believe that you can win an HEC on forward power alone, you need a bit of inspiration as well.

Moose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2007 at 11:54pm
I suppose it comes down to the gameplan  you want to play.  With Goode selected, we were  always going to play a territorial game, which i  guess  is viewed as negating the strengths  of  your backs  and  backrow, and allows us to use  the strength of our front  5 more.  In a  way it's a compliment  'we're a  bit worried about  your  backs, so we're not going to let them have the ball'.  Some games however require  us to lob the ball about a  bit as well, and  this season, and last  as well, we've started to work  out how to do that to greater effect.
westwalesdragon View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westwalesdragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2007 at 12:14pm

Maybe if every game in the ML was played seriously it would give us the edge, playing full strength Munster, Leinster, Ulster, Osprey's, Blues and Edinburgh sides is no joke, unfortunately it doesn't have the support of the GP.

All credit to Leicester though, we were beaten fair and square. We can moan about a few ref calls or whatever, bit Leicester beat us and deserve their place. It wasn't exciting, but it got the win, which is definitely the most important thing at this stage!

We created overlaps on many occasions yesterday, but for some reason we just couldn't utilise them. I also thought Leicester's defence and first time tackling was a lesson to all.

WestWalesDragon

Oneeyedturk View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oneeyedturk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2007 at 12:58pm
As someone who lives on the wrong side of the bridge there is a feeling amongst the media and english rugby supporters that the ML is an inferior competition and if we are honest it does lack the intensity of the GP.  That said, I thought we were off our game yesterday for whatever reason.  Leicester had obviously done their homework and denied us the ball.  We also uncharacteristically spilt the ball and the narrower pitch meant that we were struggling to get the ball out to our wider players. However we should have taken advantage when they were down to 14 men and SJ & BD also missed kickable penalties which would have brought use level at half-time.

We have to learn from this and I dont want us to be forever the 'nearly men' of Europe.
Punk is live & kicking at Rebellion Festival
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic