Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The new stadium

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vulcan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The new stadium
    Posted: 19 November 2007 at 5:41pm

Probably in the wrong section, but most things seem to be here now.

So I guess that no one's interested in the new stadium. C'est la vie. I suppose all the disgust about the team has to be aired before normality returns. Its a chat board I keep being told. Probably why Top Cat wasn't impressed with it.

So close this one down mods. Lets keep Scarlet Fever anti Scarlet.

Edited by Vulcan
Sponsored Links

exiled turk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exiled turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2007 at 7:39pm
we used to go home and kick the cat, now we get on-line and pretend everyone else is interested in our opinion on what went wrong.

It keeps me sane though so I will keep on doing it, we have all year to discuss the stadium but I won't be this disgusted about the defence against wasps in 12 months time.
dailywaffle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dailywaffle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2007 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by Vulcan Vulcan wrote:

So I guess that no one's interested in the new stadium.

This one looks quite nice.  Any pics of yours on here?

RichieT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichieT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2007 at 11:21pm
That looks a bit strange to me! Why are the stands sloping so much? Isn't it needlessly reducing the capacity? As long as the atmosphere is good it doesn't really matter what it looks like I suppose. 

Edited by RichieT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dailywaffle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2007 at 8:15am

Originally posted by RichieT RichieT wrote:

That looks a bit strange to me! Why are the stands sloping so much? Isn't it needlessly reducing the capacity? As long as the atmosphere is good it doesn't really matter what it looks like I suppose. 

There's a few reasons.  Welford Road is rather oddly situated on a triangular 'island', so a conventional bowl can't actually be built.  Allied to which they want to allow for plenty of light and air.  Finally, they want the finished stadium (which is some years away) to be a signature building in what is something of an architectural wasteland.  It will set off the nearby prison rather nicely!

Capacity isn't an issue; phase 1 will increase it to 24,000, with the completed stadium being c. 30,000.

I think it looks grand.

mammamammon View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mammamammon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2007 at 9:12am
Originally posted by dailywaffle dailywaffle wrote:

Originally posted by RichieT RichieT wrote:

There's a few reasons.  Welford Road is rather oddly situated on a triangular 'island', so a conventional bowl can't actually be built.  Allied to which they want to allow for plenty of light and air.  Finally, they want the finished stadium (which is some years away) to be a signature building in what is something of an architectural wasteland.  It will set off the nearby prison rather nicely!

Capacity isn't an issue; phase 1 will increase it to 24,000, with the completed stadium being c. 30,000.

I think it looks grand.

It looks very grand. Bowls are good and practical but its nice to see a different design

mammamammon

www.hopemalawiuk.com
gravioli View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gravioli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2007 at 9:27am
Daily Waffle, a quick general question. Your very welcome on our
forum and you've posted several hundred times, so I was wondering
do you post on a lot of rugby forums, or does ours have a particular
attraction?
Let's get drunk and play ping-pong.
Jac Tawe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jac Tawe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2007 at 10:15am

He's with us as well, and a valued member of our forum.

Do you work DW?

Micro Duck View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Micro Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2007 at 10:28am
I like the Tigers' stadium design. Nice to see some originality and not some 'out of the box' stadium.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dailywaffle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2007 at 11:00am

Originally posted by gravioli gravioli wrote:

attraction?

Originally posted by Jac Tawe Jac Tawe wrote:

Do you work DW?

I work from home, which helps!

I post on here, the O's, Gwl@d and the Tigers' site.  Occasionally rugby rebels.  I've tried the odd other ones, but found them rather dull.

Dixie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2007 at 11:26am

Originally posted by gravioli gravioli wrote:

attraction?

Originally posted by Jac Tawe Jac Tawe wrote:

Do you work DW?

I work from home, which helps!

I post on here, the O's, Gwl@d and the Tigers' site.  Occasionally rugby rebels.  I've tried the odd other ones, but found them rather dull.

Always a pleasure to see you DW

Vulcan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vulcan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2007 at 10:46pm

Originally posted by Vulcan Vulcan wrote:

So I guess that no one's interested in the new stadium.

This one looks quite nice.  Any pics of yours on here?

Welll certainly not like yours.

Mine are just a load of piles(being driven in)

s.pimpernel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
A.F.K.A.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s.pimpernel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2007 at 11:40pm
I`m not being funny or anything but why would you want a 30,000 rugby stadium a stones throw away from the socer stadium??
In Pivac we trust
jonescnnr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonescnnr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2007 at 11:40pm
It was initially going to be based on Hull F C  not sure now.
jonesy
jonescnnr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonescnnr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2007 at 11:41pm
Doesnt make sense does it,though Cardiff fans hugely oppose their plans to move to their new stadium,cant blame them really 30000 is going to be a souless place. 

Edited by jonescnnr
jonesy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dailywaffle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2007 at 7:27am

Originally posted by s.pimpernel s.pimpernel wrote:

I`m not being funny or anything but why would you want a 30,000 rugby stadium a stones throw away from the socer stadium??

The original proposal (some years ago now) was a joint venture with Leicester City, with the Tigers actually buying the Walkers.  This foundered on a number of objections (incl. those from Tigers supporters). 

Welford Road is falling to bits, whether we like it or not.  The development will be done in stages, with phase 1 (the smaller of the two pics) starting at the end of this season provided there are no last minute objections.  The massive new north (Next) stand will take us up to 24,000.  Whether we need more capacity than that, other than for the occasional HEC match, is not clear ....... but the Crumbie (crumbly) stand really needs replacing as well.  In which case, you might as well build something that will plan for future growth.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic