Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

This is getting silly! - I wish

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: This is getting silly! - I wish
    Posted: 28 April 2008 at 1:51pm

Matfield set to join Northampton

Victor%20Matfield
Matfield is considered one of the best forwards in the world (Getty)

South Africa captain Victor Matfield is set to sign for newly-promoted Northampton Saints from Toulon.

The 30-year-old lock, who is also a target for the Bulls in his homeland, has already met the Saints management and visited Franklin's Gardens.

Saints chairman Keith Barwell told BBC Radio Northampton: "We hope to make announcements on people who might be coming, like Victor for instance."

"However, they won't all say yes," Barwell warned

Sponsored Links

multinational View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote multinational Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2008 at 1:55pm
The Saints are throwing silly money around, this is blatantly obvious. PLUS they are not restricted by the NWQ rules. WRU have had a brainstorm with restricting the regions - that way we HAVE to pick Welsh players, whether they are good enough or not!!

He would be a fantastic signing for them however, shame we weren't in the frame.
History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again.
multinational View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote multinational Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2008 at 2:47pm
It seems they are after a whole SH squad for next season!!

History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again.
exiled turk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exiled turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2008 at 3:22pm
As soon as I saw the Matfield story I wondered how long it would take someone to post on here about how we should have been signing this player and that we had missed out again. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2008 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by exiled turk exiled turk wrote:

As soon as I saw the Matfield story I wondered how long it would take someone to post on here about how we should have been signing this player and that we had missed out again. 

how long did it take, from having the initial thought, to it actually being posted?

exiled turk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exiled turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2008 at 5:14pm
It was waiting for me when I got here. This forum never disappoints.
Dan the Drover View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the Drover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2008 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by exiled turk exiled turk wrote:

This forum never disappoints.

...which is ironic, since it features so many chronically disappointed people.
Captain View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2008 at 5:59pm
Never said we missed out, just looking at the players who others are signing! Who are we? No one as yet!
Abbey View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abbey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2008 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by multinational multinational wrote:

The Saints are throwing silly money around, this is blatantly obvious. PLUS they are not restricted by the NWQ rules. WRU have had a brainstorm with restricting the regions - that way we HAVE to pick Welsh players, whether they are good enough or not!!

He would be a fantastic signing for them however, shame we weren't in the frame.

I believe there is also a salary cap in England. £325K is a hell of a lot of money for one player (but he's one hell of a player!).

Alun View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2008 at 6:49pm
The big names will come. I'm not panicking yet.
Cartref newydd, Stadiwm newydd, Penod newydd, Yr un freuddwyd.

"Does na unman yn debyg i adra, ond mae adra'n debyg iawn i 'chdi."

All statements-My opinions
TheMightyCD View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheMightyCD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2008 at 7:58pm

He went to Toulon for the money, so Northampton must have put together one hell of a package.

TrumpTowers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TrumpTowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2008 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by Alun Alun wrote:

The big names will come. I'm not panicking yet.

Definately,

So many people on here never believed we would get the stadium, ye of little faith!

If you build it, they will come (The players will come).
If you build it, they will come.
RevofRugby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RevofRugby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2008 at 9:44pm
Northampton have money. They can afford to pick and choose quality individuals. This does NOT make a quality team.

we just need to boost our squad in a few areas, thats all...but more importantly boost CONFIDENCE!
dailywaffle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dailywaffle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2008 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by Abbey Abbey wrote:

I believe there is also a salary cap in England. £325K is a hell of a lot of money for one player (but he's one hell of a player!). 

Rumour has it that the overall package might be a little higher.

Next season's proposed cap is £4M.
Turkish Fez View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turkish Fez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2008 at 10:41pm
dailywaffle some were about you!! Been on your hols.
Why would TOULON release him, have they not just want promotion with him. Its next year they will really need him not this season.

Field of Dreams    They will Come
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2008 at 1:23pm
Seems like wishful thinking to me, because on Wednesday 20th June 2007:

"Ambitious French club Toulon has revealed that new Springbok captain Victor Matfield has signed a two-year deal to join them after the World Cup - ahead of the next European season.

He will join illustrious names such as All Blacks Tana Umaga, Anton Oliver (both former captains) and Andrew Mehrtens, along with former Wallaby captain George Gregan, at the French outfit.

Rugby Club Toulonnais, also known as RC Toulon or just Toulon, revealed that they had won the race - for Matfield's signature - against several French Top 14 outfits, including Paris outfit Stade Français."

So Matfield still has a year left on his contract...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic