Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

benny tells it like it is.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2010 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by Gate12 Gate12 wrote:

Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

bit harsher than he usually is, any one listen to scrum v last night? Thought Garin Jenkins spoke well and was fair about the scarlets

What did Garin have to say? Always find him to be generally quite fair as he hasn't really got a preference to any region.
said we always prodouce good backs, have loads of good youngsters in the academy and feeder set up. But we lack some grunt in the front 5, suggested we get to cardigan or north wales for some john davies type forwards.

Also wished us well for next year and was genuine about it

(shame he ruined it by saying beating us at ninian park was his favourite cup moment evet)
Sponsored Links

TonduTurk View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
"Views my own"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonduTurk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2010 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by lofty evans lofty evans wrote:

Originally posted by salmidach salmidach wrote:

I'm disappointed in Lofty and the rest of you for having a go at Benny..
at least he hasn't got his head burried in the sand is basically saying it as it is....
Well done Benny......

Bollocks Sal, the guy is my hero, but he should engage his brain first

i'm sure he thought long and hard before making his comments.

its a very honest piece and i dont think there's anything in there that anyone can argue with.

we have enough idiots having a pop and a sherbert at us, defend the Scarlets brand, not get on a merry go round with looney tunes.

there's plenty of idiots who bury their head in the sand as well, and ignore everything going on around them. and lots of looney-tunes who jump on the blind-faith merry-go-round.
Dan the Drover View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the Drover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2010 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

......have you thought that maybe he said it so that some of the cretins that are dragging this region down actually sit up and take heed at what he is saying....

Have you thought that these "cretins" might just be aware that things could be better than they are, and are working hard to improve them?   Of course, they may not turn out to be good enough or rich enough to turn things round, but I can't see what purpose it serves to point that out to the people concerned, unless you really believe that the need for action has escaped their attention.
Kooga View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kooga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2010 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by Mrfwon Mrfwon wrote:

at least he hasn't got his head burried in the sand is basically saying it as it is....

Well done Benny......

Bollocks Sal, the guy is my hero, but he should engage his brain first, we have enough idiots having a pop and a sherbert at us, defend the Scarlets brand, not get on a merry go round with looney tunes.

Benny always defends us, always gives us good press, he always has, but everyone has their limits, and sometimes things just need to be said. There's nothing in his article that's bullshit, he's bang on the button.
Wrong! 'The former Llanelli fly-half says that with just five Magners League wins this season and poor performances it is no wonder that crowds have been poor'

Our attandances overall has been better this year than last year, by nearly 300.
This myth that we have had poor crowds for a number of years is what it says.. a MYTH.

Edited by Kooga - 07 May 2010 at 1:28pm
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2010 at 1:28pm
Unfortunately Children are more fickle than ever these days. Like Benny says, we are going to need a massive improvement on the field if we are to grow our fan base. Now it may be that the maturing if Rob Gog, Josh, Fenby, Priestland, Dom and Lou can lift us next season, but they will have to be at their London Irish best every week.

Wins=supporters.

I am hopeful that if Stevo, Smiler, Sparky, Daf and moggs are fit, we will play them in every game from September and hopefully build up more of a safety cushion in the first part of the season. Last year all those near misses and missed penalties holed us below the waterline, and the wins against LI and Brive were eventually to no avail because we were never going to have really good chance of progression in the HC Ko stages.

We really have to target 5 ML wins before the Amlin/HC campaign IMO.
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
knutsfordlion View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knutsfordlion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2010 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by Kooga Kooga wrote:

Originally posted by Mrfwon Mrfwon wrote:

Well done Benny......

Bollocks Sal, the guy is my hero, but he should engage his brain first, we have enough idiots having a pop and a sherbert at us, defend the Scarlets brand, not get on a merry go round with looney tunes.

Benny always defends us, always gives us good press, he always has, but everyone has their limits, and sometimes things just need to be said. There's nothing in his article that's bullshit, he's bang on the button.
Wrong! 'The former Llanelli fly-half says that with just five Magners League wins this season and poor performances it is no wonder that crowds have been poor'

Our attandances overall has been better this year than last year, by nearly 300.
This myth that we have had poor crowds for a number of years is what it says.. a MYTH.

Page the oracle
salmidach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salmidach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2010 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by Speedy Speedy wrote:

you know what, i can actually stomach the hammerings we`ve had this season cos i can see the restrictions that have been in place that have contributed to it.

what i can`t stomach is fans that have stood next to me throughout the years joining the [beep]s from the western mail in trying to under mine this club.

some people would be quite prepared to throw the baby out with the bath water with their blinkered "sack the coach" campaigns.

find a new hobby.

what i can't stand is hypocrits.... people who themselves have spent hours on the phone agreeing that Nigel wasn't/isn't the man for the job to lead us to Heineken cup glory and then accuse people of throwing the baby out of the bath....

regardless of injuries, international call ups, financial constraints. Nigel has led us to the worst performance by a scarlets team in my living memory...... what we have to remember that if results go against us tonight we could still finish bottom of the magners league.
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance - Terry Pratchett
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2010 at 1:42pm

they maybe on the up but are still below the break even figure :(
s.pimpernel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
A.F.K.A.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s.pimpernel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2010 at 1:50pm

perhaps you might want to read the thread again and take note of who posted it mate.Confused

what did you take from my statement of "benny tells it like it is"?

i`ve merely pulled him up on one thing he did get wrong and your negativity has once again blinkered you into thinking i`m kneejerking a rose tinted defence.

i also had a go at the snide remarks about the writing on the seats when these people clearly are not aware why the words are there and what they mean to the club.

Our crowds have not been brilliant and tbh, I couldn`t care less what the Ospreys do. My post was in the main to your longer post. No body is arguing on here, and nobody is trying to de-stabalise the region. If people want to vent their anger so be it. I wish I could attend on Tuesday but I can`t.

I will have a couple of decent questions by then so if someone wants to ask them on my behalf, and state out loud that they come from me, it would be appreciated.

In Pivac we trust
shanghai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shanghai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2010 at 1:53pm
THE TRUTH HURTS.THE RESULTS DONT LIE.
s.pimpernel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
A.F.K.A.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s.pimpernel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2010 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by TonduTurk TonduTurk wrote:

Well done Benny......

Bollocks Sal, the guy is my hero, but he should engage his brain first

i'm sure he thought long and hard before making his comments.

its a very honest piece and i dont think there's anything in there that anyone can argue with.

we have enough idiots having a pop and a sherbert at us, defend the Scarlets brand, not get on a merry go round with looney tunes.

there's plenty of idiots who bury their head in the sand as well, and ignore everything going on around them. and lots of looney-tunes who jump on the blind-faith merry-go-round.

Bennys` article was measured and considered. He has no agenda to spin unlike his media colleagues 60miles to the East.
In Pivac we trust
A Evans View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2010 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

Unfortunately Children are more fickle than ever these days. Like Benny says, we are going to need a massive improvement on the field if we are to grow our fan base. Now it may be that the maturing if Rob Gog, Josh, Fenby, Priestland, Dom and Lou can lift us next season, but they will have to be at their London Irish best every week.

Wins=supporters.

I am hopeful that if Stevo, Smiler, Sparky, Daf and moggs are fit, we will play them in every game from September and hopefully build up more of a safety cushion in the first part of the season. Last year all those near misses and missed penalties holed us below the waterline, and the wins against LI and Brive were eventually to no avail because we were never going to have really good chance of progression in the HC Ko stages.

We really have to target 5 ML wins before the Amlin/HC campaign IMO.

Im not sure it does when it comes to Llanelli RFC and now the Scarlets, did we see a considerable rise in Season Ticket holders after each HC semi finals?, i dont think so, as many people have pointed out before there seems to be a general apathy towards our rugby team by people within the local area and there always has been i think, bar the one off games when they all come out of the woodwork. Now Benny may be right in what he is saying (although not all of it if you ask me) BUT what exactly will it achieve?, just gives more material for the likes of the fail which we could do without. We as a region, players/coaches/managment/ex players and supporters need to all pull together to get out of this rut. Yes we may not all agree with certain appointments and the way things are being run but one thing i can guarantee is an internal civil war between us will not get us to where we want to be.
scarlets_84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarlets_84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2010 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by s.pimpernel s.pimpernel wrote:

perhaps you might want to read the thread again and take note of who posted it mate.Confused

what did you take from my statement of "benny tells it like it is"?

i`ve merely pulled him up on one thing he did get wrong and your negativity has once again blinkered you into thinking i`m kneejerking a rose tinted defence.

i also had a go at the snide remarks about the writing on the seats when these people clearly are not aware why the words are there and what they mean to the club.

Our crowds have not been brilliant and tbh, I couldn`t care less what the Ospreys do. My post was in the main to your longer post. No body is arguing on here, and nobody is trying to de-stabalise the region. If people want to vent their anger so be it. I wish I could attend on Tuesday but I can`t.

I will have a couple of decent questions by then so if someone wants to ask them on my behalf, and state out loud that they come from me, it would be appreciated.

What do you think the region can do to change things then Pimp? Serious question. Because as far as i can see, unless we get investment to buy players, the only thing we can do is develop players from the academy and hope for the best. Its not ideal but its where we are at the moment. whether your being negative or positive on here is irrelevant because it wont make any difference, And that's why i didn't like what Benny said.    
twitter.com/scarlets84
www.wefollow.com
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2010 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by A Evans A Evans wrote:

Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

Wins=supporters.

I.

Im not sure it does when it comes to Llanelli RFC and now the Scarlets, did we see a considerable rise in Season Ticket holders after each HC semi finals?, i dont think so, as many people have pointed out before there seems to be a general apathy towards our rugby team by people within the local area and there always has been i think, bar the one off games when they all come out of the woodwork. Now Benny may be right in what he is saying (although not all of it if you ask me) BUT what exactly will it achieve?, just gives more material for the likes of the fail which we could do without. We as a region, players/coaches/managment/ex players and supporters need to all pull together to get out of this rut. Yes we may not all agree with certain appointments and the way things are being run but one thing i can guarantee is an internal civil war between us will not get us to where we want to be.
No, but we had sell outs for some of the HC home games as I remember. It takes a while for a casual supporter to become a ST holder, but it can happern as in my case.

I was really responding to Llandre's comments about Llanelli kids supporting the Osps, and no amount of improvements off the field will make much of a dent there. Kids want to be associated with success.
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2010 at 2:18pm

you know what, i can actually stomach the hammerings we`ve had this season cos i can see the restrictions that have been in place that have contributed to it.

what i can`t stomach is fans that have stood next to me throughout the years joining the [beep]s from the western mail in trying to under mine this club.

some people would be quite prepared to throw the baby out with the bath water with their blinkered "sack the coach" campaigns.

find a new hobby.

what i can't stand is hypocrits.... people who themselves have spent hours on the phone agreeing that Nigel wasn't/isn't the man for the job to lead us to Heineken cup glory and then accuse people of throwing the baby out of the bath....

regardless of injuries, international call ups, financial constraints. Nigel has led us to the worst performance by a scarlets team in my living memory...... what we have to remember that if results go against us tonight we could still finish bottom of the magners league.
seeing someones points does not constitute that. i`ve never been a supporter of the sack nigel posse mainly because its based and fuelled by personal issues and secondly and more importantly there is only one out of your rebellion that can forward any sort of names as a replacement, and of them, none are suitable,available or would take the scarlets job due to its job description.

which would read,

head a coaching team back to the top of the european elite table of rugby, but without spending anything, and you are only allowed 4 non welsh players per matchday squad.

i can here the stampede right now boys.
 oh and p.s., when i say "somepeople" thats what i mean, as you are not the only person saying these things.

funny how when i mentioned sacking rafa benitez and putting the old boys of dalgleish and rush in at liverpool you jumped at the chance.

jobs for the boys? surely not?
jonescnnr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonescnnr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2010 at 3:12pm
Worcester have received an avalanche of applications worldwide to replace Ruddock,many of them world class candidates, they have been relegated and do not have our history.
 I really cannot see why we do not look outside the old boys network for our coaching team,regardless of finances or whose fault it is we are near the bottom of the league,out of the HC probably and are going to struggle to retain Season Ticket holders attract new sponsors or to welcome new ST holders.

I have no beef with Nigel, I have no doubt running the Scarlets is a stressful business,but there are countless better qualified coaches imo to move us forward.
He is out of contract and we can offer the same money to the new coach,as for the rant about "tell the people in charge mun", I am pretty sure we all made our feelings to the club at the time 2 years ago that we did not want him as Coach and this years Magners League table has proved we were right.
jonesy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic