Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Testimonials

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Testimonials
    Posted: 01 September 2004 at 8:26pm

Don't know if it should be here and I know that I'll get slated by more than a few here as well but.

Whats the crack with these testimonial seasons then? I find it a bit odd that someone who is probably on 4 times a year what I'm on asking for the fans to dip into their pockets and fork out for all sorts of events so they can earn loads during this testimonial season.

Why do they need all this money? Have they not saved anything or put any away during the time that they've been playing. I can understand when the game was amature and the players were getting peanuts each game but like I said most of the players are on about 4 times my wage and some are on more.

Can I have a testimonial year when I've been with my company 10 years? And get lots of people who I don't know but know who I am to fork out on lots of events so I can have even more money than I had before.

I'ts not like they won't be able to get a job when they retire is it. Most of these players are intelligent guys who have probably got something lined up for when they finish anyway.

Anyway I'm sure you will all enlighten me on this subject.

Through Thick And Thin!
Sponsored Links

mAce View Drop Down
Founder
Founder
I'm Real

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mAce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2004 at 8:28pm
I mentioned Garans to someone in work (47 Yrs). They said that they thought testimonials had long gone with the proffesional age...

I don't mind them myself...

Edited by capt.ace
Jerry Dammers View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry Dammers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2004 at 8:41pm

It's a loyalty thing basically,still prelevant in football, if you can actually find a long serving player these days.Think Giggs had one against Celtic, pretty sure Scholes had one or is due one,Freestone had one against Chelsea. Stevo was offered one after another 3 seasons due to not being able to match Montferrand's wages. usually after 10 years/ service. These are sportsmen we're talking about, all on good money (or silly money in football). Moans usually stem from jealousy. Yes, I am jealous that rooney will earn more in a week than i will earn in 3 years, but if I was in the same position I'd ensure i'd make as much money as possible, that's what we all do anyway isn't it? I get paid a good wage for my work, prob above the local average, but I work for it and strive to improve to make even more (god,I sound like a capitalist!).Point is, I reckon I'm paid what I'm worth, with what I do I could probably do a "football" and move to whichever company wants to pay for my experience.Just on a far smaller scale than sportsmen. Unfortunately it's the society we live in (debate can be carried over to ordered section!).

Anyway, footballers wages make me sick anyway, I am a jealous man! Testemonials for rugby players? possibly not these days. Presume Nigel/Moony/Proctor/Garan/Boobyer didn't make a huge amount through rugby? enough yes, but not on the scale the players today are making. Ieuan's testemonial-he was worth every penny as he was God!  

Pedro Diniz View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pedro Diniz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2004 at 11:32pm
Am I right in thinking it's Robin's testimonial this year?
"I can't see the Germans getting back into this...they've only got Kuntz up front..."
(Alan Hansen, during Euro 96).
bin laden View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
THE TROPHY CABINET IS OPEN FOR BUSINESS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bin laden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2004 at 11:35pm
i believe mention was made of a dinner over the tannoy on friday,but as usual didnt catch it all.
Yes,I am back with a stewards view on things.

wizard View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
No Longer An Admin of SF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2004 at 11:39pm

Originally posted by Pedro Diniz Pedro Diniz wrote:

Am I right in thinking it's Robin's testimonial this year?

Dont know but it would be next year then 2005.

I think testimonals work on actual year rather than season.

hence the next thing in the calendar is a black tie dinner for Garan

scarletchick View Drop Down
HUA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletchick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2004 at 8:12am
I THINK there's 3 in a row. Robin, Wyatt and Scott.
Jerry Dammers View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry Dammers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2004 at 12:31pm
being a bit contradictory to my last post but all deserved,can't say any of those 3 have given less than 100% for the shirt,same as the others who've had testemonials. 
Mike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2004 at 12:50pm

It's part of a players contract nowadays.

For example Celtic couldn't stretch to the offers made to Henrik Larsson a few years back, so the put a testimonial into his contract knowing how idolised he was and suddenly they have found an extra £2m.

Fans happy, player happy, club happy.

If we go for Stephen in two years time, I imagine we'll offer him the same thing knowing that we can't compete with his Montferrand wages.

Makes sense to me.

Mike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2004 at 12:55pm
So what I'm trying to say (!) is that it's not a gesture - more a business decision.
MikeM View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2004 at 9:38pm
But why do we (the fans) have to fork out even more so they (who are earning loats more than us) can have even more money. Thats all I'm asking. I don't think it's right somehow.
Through Thick And Thin!
Mike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2004 at 12:53pm

Originally posted by Lino Lino wrote:

But why do we (the fans) have to fork out even more so they (who are earning loats more than us) can have even more money. Thats all I'm asking. I don't think it's right somehow.

Why do you feel you have to? You really don't. No need to feel bitter about it - it's purely choice.

*not gonna start the market forces debate again this week*

MikeM View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2004 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by Mike Mike wrote:

Why do you feel you have to? You really don't. No need to feel bitter about it - it's purely choice.

*not gonna start the market forces debate again this week*

Who said I felt bitter about it. I don't . It is about choice, thats why I don't ever support these events.
Through Thick And Thin!
Mike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2004 at 1:24pm

Who said I felt bitter about it. I don't . It is about choice, thats why I don't ever support these events.

You said "but why do we (the fans) have to fork out even more so they (who are earning loats more than us) can have even more money. Thats all I'm asking. I don't think it's right somehow."

You infer that there is an obligation on fans to pay for a testimonial ("why do we (the fans) have to fork out even more...)"

Emma View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2004 at 2:32pm
i can see what lino is saying, we (the fans) do feel obliged to go to these events and pay, becuase if we didnt, then the player whos given all their loyalty to the club, wouldnt have the recognition they deserve, and thats unfair. it is a choice but u do feel u have to go to support this player
There ain't no lovin' like West Virginia lovin'
MikeM View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2004 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by Mike Mike wrote:

You said "but why do we (the fans) have to fork out even more so they (who are earning loats more than us) can have even more money. Thats all I'm asking. I don't think it's right somehow."

You infer that there is an obligation on fans to pay for a testimonial ("why do we (the fans) have to fork out even more...)"

sigh

Through Thick And Thin!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic