Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

unsung legends? andy hill

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2011 at 12:53pm
In my lifetime i think Dai Fox was an unsung hero. He was very unlucky not be capped.

Iwan Jones was another who in his first spell with us was a very good player.

One of the nicest people you could ever wish to meet.
West is Best (Fin gwybod)
Sponsored Links

aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2011 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by Nine -Three Nine -Three wrote:

Yes Andy Hill one of the all time great Scarlet scoring machines, not many wingers could handle his pace, he could also drop a goal from anywhere in the opositions half and long range round the corner kicks were his speciality. Gorseinon boy, but a couple of years ago followed the mob from the Liberty. Our other wing at that time was Roy Mathias different type of player, where Andy would run around the oposition Roy would run through a brick wall, the northern scouts took him to Saint Helens where he still runs a pub. great Scarlets the two of them.Clap 

I'm pretty sure Mathias started out as a wing forward, but was converted to wing and went on to play for Wales (is that right)? Tough boy!
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2011 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by John John wrote:

Originally posted by LLANDRE LLANDRE wrote:

Roy Mathias was at the last game at Stradey and i spoke to him with Brian Butler

Brian Butler is a regular at the Parc with Robert Fouracre and David Prenderville. Fringe players maybe when the all blacks were in town but between them, they played alot of times in a Scarlet shirt.

I remember Butler and Prenderville, but have a blank about Fouracre - what position/years did he play?
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2011 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by cymraes cymraes wrote:

Selwyn Williams, another unsung hero and dont get me started on the disservice we did for him in selecting Chico to play the All Blacks...

A fair point - but would you care to 'name names' regarding the guilty party who made this decision?Stern Smile
cauliflowerear11 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cauliflowerear11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2011 at 8:02pm
Andy Hill I seem to remember had the world record for the amount of tries scored for a club.
I also remember Andy kicking a penalty from just outside our 5 mtre line.  It went through with loads to spare. Boy could this man kick.  Scored some amazing tries.  Much better the ickle Shane.LOL
Nine -Three View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nine -Three Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2011 at 9:48pm
aber-fan correct Roy Mathias started off as wing forward, but his speed and direct running was far greater appreciated on the wing, scored some fantastic tries and was a great rugby league player.
YMA O HYD
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2016 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by cauliflowerear11 cauliflowerear11 wrote:

Andy Hill I seem to remember had the world record for the amount of tries scored for a club.
I also remember Andy kicking a penalty from just outside our 5 mtre line.  It went through with loads to spare. Boy could this man kick.  Scored some amazing tries.  Much better the ickle Shane.LOL

I didn't realise it was a world record , wow
I caught this article a few years ago on the great man
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2016 at 3:16pm
Andy was fast and a big distance kicker. Great servant. Roy Mathias was really exciting to watch due to his speed and power - so depressing when he went north. Two great players for Llanelli.
s.pimpernel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
A.F.K.A.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s.pimpernel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2016 at 8:03am
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Andy was fast and a big distance kicker. Great servant. Roy Mathias was really exciting to watch due to his speed and power - so depressing when he went north. Two great players for Llanelli.

As a club, we lost some tremendous players to league before the game went professional.

Edited by s.pimpernel - 26 February 2016 at 8:10am
In Pivac we trust
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2016 at 8:55am
Originally posted by s.pimpernel s.pimpernel wrote:

Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

As a club, we lost some tremendous players to league before the game went professional.

Stuart Gallagher and Brian Butler were two I can remember.
Turkish Fez View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turkish Fez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2016 at 5:00pm
Clive Griffiths was a class act as full back, unfortunately for him there was certain JPR in his way for international honours, hence I think he only had the odd Wales cap. Seemed to recall he came on as replacement for JPR against England and scored a great try. Very successful League career with St Helens and Salford.
Very much involved with Doncaster Knights Union side as a coach for many a year.
Penclawdd boy.
We all had Doctor's papers!
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2016 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by Turkish Fez Turkish Fez wrote:

Clive Griffiths was a class act as full back, unfortunately for him there was certain JPR in his way for international honours, hence I think he only had the odd Wales cap. Seemed to recall he came on as replacement for JPR against England and scored a great try. Very successful League career with St Helens and Salford.
Very much involved with Doncaster Knights Union side as a coach for many a year.
Penclawdd boy.

I saw him win his only cap - I thought he'd scored a try, too, but Wikipedia says not - I do remember him setting off on a storming run and cutting through the English defence - most probably, then, this led to a try by someone else (maybe Elgan Rees? He had a habit of scoring v England!). Of course, he then went to play RL, where I bumped into him at the school where he was games master (Rossall? I forget...). He was very fast indeed - much quicker than JPR, who was however untouchable as first choice for his other qualities.

Oddly, I also saw Stuart Gallacher win his only cap, when he also made a storming run in to the France 25. That may also have led to a score - again, I forget... sorry!
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2016 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Originally posted by Turkish Fez Turkish Fez wrote:

Penclawdd boy.

I saw him win his only cap - I thought he'd scored a try, too, but Wikipedia says not - I do remember him setting off on a storming run and cutting through the English defence - most probably, then, this led to a try by someone else (maybe Elgan Rees? He had a habit of scoring v England!). Of course, he then went to play RL, where I bumped into him at the school where he was games master (Rossall? I forget...). He was very fast indeed - much quicker than JPR, who was however untouchable as first choice for his other qualities.

Oddly, I also saw Stuart Gallacher win his only cap, when he also made a storming run in to the France 25. That may also have led to a score - again, I forget... sorry!

Correct about Gallagher, it was also his only cap. I also think that game may have seen Roy Mathias win his only cap for Wales. We went into the game without a kicker and I believe that JPR kicked a pen/con toe style.

Yes Elgan Rees beat Clive to the touchdown. Think Elgan was just a little bit quicker.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2016 at 8:28am
Well remembered about Roy Mathias - I checked on Wikipedia, and you're right!
Gellert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gellert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2016 at 3:38pm
My two unsung heroes are Roy Bergiers and Mark Perego.
Too old to die young...
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2016 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by Gellert Gellert wrote:

My two unsung heroes are Roy Bergiers and Mark Perego.
2 great players, who In fairness are a little bit sungWink
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic