Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Double Header

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solihullscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Double Header
    Posted: 26 August 2012 at 11:13am
I can't see this elsewhere so I apologise if I'm duplicating, but the Rugby Paper is saying that our away game at Newport at Easter will be played at the Millennium Stadium as part of a Welsh double header. Scarlets Facebook page hinted at something like this last week so it could be true.
Sponsored Links

multinational View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote multinational Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2012 at 11:17am
That is a terrible choice for the double header!

Surely there is more interest in Newport V Cardiff and Scarlets V Ospreys?

Awful planning for a decent idea.
History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again.
solihullscarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solihullscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2012 at 11:19am
Apparently us and Ospreys refused to give up or most lucrative home game.
multinational View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote multinational Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2012 at 11:36am
Originally posted by solihullscarlet solihullscarlet wrote:

Apparently us and Ospreys refused to give up or most lucrative home game.

This I can understand, in which case the whole idea is a waste of time. The Dragons can't even sell out Dave Parade when we visit, and we take a fair few with us, it will be like a morgue in the Millenium Stadium.
History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solihullscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2012 at 11:48am
Hopefully they will market it well and we might see a few extra people there. I'd say that if there's less than 40000 there it's been a failure. Worth a try.
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2012 at 12:11pm
What happens to ST holders ? Would we have to pay extra for this game ? If not I can't see it making any money for the clubs. plus the loss of revenue on beer and pasties etc.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solihullscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2012 at 12:14pm
Says Cardiff/Newport get the gate receipts. I guess they would have to let ST holders in free.
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2012 at 12:15pm
I think it's an insult to the home teams. One less game for them.
JonnyLewis420 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonnyLewis420 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2012 at 12:18pm
good idea as long as it isn't one of our homes games. we won't be losing anything in merch/beer so no bother. wondered for years why this hasn't happened. 
For the losers now, will be later to win.
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2012 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by multinational multinational wrote:

That is a terrible choice for the double header!

Surely there is more interest in Newport V Cardiff and Scarlets V Ospreys?

Awful planning for a decent idea.
do you honestly see us or the ospreys wanting to move our biggest derby games?

its logical that it is the gwent fixture. 
RedZep View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RedZep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2012 at 12:29pm
Anything that generates interest in regional rugby throughout Wales has got to be beneficial for the four clubs. If this helps get some of the focus away from the national team, letting the casual fans know that there is more to rugby in Wales than the 6 Nations then it has to be good. Combining the Millennium day out in Cardiff with regional as opposed to national rugby is a good idea, IMO.

As long as the clubs whose home fixture it is do not lose out in any way then I'm all for it. Hopefully those in charge of marketing will be studying Twickenham at the weekend as they nearly always sell out for these double headers.

I'll miss the annual trip to Dave Parade as I've always enjoyed it there. But a full day out in Cardiff isn't a bad compromise.
'' Know your three R's, son..... Rugby, Rock and Ridin'!! ''
lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2012 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by solihullscarlet solihullscarlet wrote:

I can't see this elsewhere so I apologise if I'm duplicating, but the Rugby Paper is saying that our away game at Newport at Easter will be played at the Millennium Stadium as part of a Welsh double header. Scarlets Facebook page hinted at something like this last week so it could be true.

Rugby fans in this Country are treated like cattle mun, cant they ask us before they screw us.

In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2012 at 1:34pm
It's also robbing us, as away supporters of another decent away trip. I make the trip to Rodney Parade annually. That'll be taken away from us.

elmo761 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote elmo761 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2012 at 1:39pm
Well I'll be there, and it'll be a good opportunity for a social with oter regional friends so could be good!!
http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/Elmo761
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2012 at 1:54pm
I'm up for trying anything different and new that could beneift the club or supporters.
Mugwuffin View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mugwuffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2012 at 2:45pm
It could make financial sense I suppose.

NGD only get around 7K through the gate for us and I think the CAP capacity is only around 11K at the moment. They'd definitely sell more tickets if it was a double header in the MS. How much would it cost to rent the MS though?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
  Share Topic