Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Regions in talks with Premier Rugby

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haydn_davies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2013 at 9:11pm
Sounds like a move by the Regions to create some leverage with the WRU and Woger.

Leaking it to the press just gets the fans of the Regions talking and getting them to think that Lewis isn't doing enough to help the Regions - which is true.

Smart move by the Regions leaking this to the press TBH.
Think, think, think - it's a thinking man's game!! - The Great Carwyn James.
Sponsored Links

dantheman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dantheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2013 at 9:13pm
If this is seriously on the cards I reckon Roger would go for it surely. 

If his objective (which it seems to be) is to minimise central funding of the regions then allowing them to move to the Premiership would allow the opportunity to increase revenue streams significantly. The attraction of regular competitive games against Leicester, Wasps, Bath, Northampton etc. to the casual fan is far greater than the Rabo offering. 

This of course is provided that the WRU can still retain the existing arrangements for access to international players.

Personally, I'd sacrifice the HEC for entry into the Aviva Premiership - it would be awesome!
9331101972 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9331101972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2013 at 9:14pm
If the three premier regions held fast what sanctions could the WRU apply?
lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2013 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by dantheman dantheman wrote:

If his objective (which it seems to be) is to minimise central funding of the regions then allowing them to move to the Premiership would allow the opportunity to increase revenue streams significantly. The attraction of regular competitive games against Leicester, Wasps, Bath, Northampton etc. to the casual fan is far greater than the Rabo offering. 

This of course is provided that the WRU can still retain the existing arrangements for access to international players.

Personally, I'd sacrifice the HEC for entry into the Aviva Premiership - it would be awesome!

Agreed it would be awesome, dont have to fly to England.

In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
haydn_davies View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haydn_davies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2013 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by 9331101972 9331101972 wrote:

Not endorse the move for a start.

IIRC, the home union have to sanction every fixture which it's clubs/regions are involved in.

WRU would have to OK the merger of the Aviva Premiership with the Welsh regions or it simply couldn't happen.
Think, think, think - it's a thinking man's game!! - The Great Carwyn James.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9331101972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2013 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by haydn_davies haydn_davies wrote:

IIRC, the home union have to sanction every fixture which it's clubs/regions are involved in.

WRU would have to OK the merger of the Aviva Premiership with the Welsh regions or it simply couldn't happen.

What did the WRU do when Cardiff and Swansea walked away?
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2013 at 9:27pm

Originally posted by haydn_davies haydn_davies wrote:

What did the WRU do when Cardiff and Swansea walked away?

Bloody good question.

Mike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2013 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by dantheman dantheman wrote:

I can't see the WRU embracing this at all. The logical strategy for Welsh rugby is the Irish model - concentrate efforts on ensuring optimum international and Heineken Cup performance, use the Rabo to develop the next generation and build the clubs support base through regular HEC campaigns that capture the imagination and involve success. That's what you have to do when you have a small playing base.

Jam the regions into the Aviva and either the international team or the regions will be constantly disadvantaged. If the regions didn't have a PA with the WRU, the national side would falter because the preparation and rest time would be lost. If the regions had a similar PA as the current one, they wouldn't be able to compete in an AW league because they'd lose a huge amount of their squads for too much of the season - unlike most of their English counterparts.

The reality is that Roger Lewis is happy to screw regional rugby for as long as possible in order to keep the status quo of debt repayment, profits, personal bonuses and a structure unfairly skewed to his team - Team Wales' - advantage at the expense of the regions.

I imagine that sooner or later, a deal will be reached with the WRU - but only after Roger has strung this out for as long as he can get away with, draining the regional game badly in the process. These kind of moves by the regions are an attempt to try and speed up that process.
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2013 at 9:38pm
The ramifications would be massive even if the wru ok'd it the irish/scottish and italians would quite rightly pursue every avenue possibly to stop it. Wouldn't the irb have to sanction it too?

Don't get me wrong i'd love it but there'd be carnage.
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2013 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by Gate12 Gate12 wrote:

The ramifications would be massive even if the wru ok'd it the irish/scottish and italians would quite rightly pursue every avenue possibly to stop it. Wouldn't the irb have to sanction it too?

Don't get me wrong i'd love it but there'd be carnage.

Roger is creating carnage and doesnt even create a blip on the cardio machine

Mike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2013 at 9:43pm
It would be good of the IRFU caught wind of this and shamed the WRU into action.
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2013 at 9:44pm
imagine, a bus trip to england every fortnight, instead of bullshit trips to glasgow and galway.

and our home games would see considerably more away fans....plus a rise in attendances, as you cant watch the english league for free in the house.

this is the sort of tournament  parc y scarlets deserves.

Edited by Speedy - 18 February 2013 at 9:45pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9331101972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2013 at 9:57pm
If any of this is true I hope that the regions have taken legal advice and that they are negotiating from a sound legal base.  I understand that the cost of litigation surrounding the disposal of Stradey Park was almost crippling.
As to the Rabo.  It has never captured the Welsh imagination.  Competing against the English on a regular basis would be far more attractive to Welsh (and English) rugby supporters. 
The Swans are in the English league where they are playing well.  That is why they are attracting huge support.  
Scarlet Growler View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Growler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2013 at 10:19pm
I think we need to back our chances of reaching the cut for a HEC place if it is 9 places out of say 15 or 16 teams in an Anglo-Welsh league! 

The Rabo doesn't work as it is a shambles for away fans, and by the time fixtures are confirmed most cheap hotel / flight deals have gone anyway.  The big matches would become the regular fixtures against the likes of Bath, Gloucester, Exeter and the rest (as well as the Welsh derbies) which would more than make up for the miserly £1.5 million Rog Lewis grudgingly lets us have in return for taking away our star players for most of the season.  

It would help build crowds at games too - firstly from away supporters, but also that home Welsh fans would have a realistic chance of supporting their team home and away if they so wished, without having to break the bank to fly to Galway, Limerick or Italy.  How many wavering supporters were lost in that long gap between home Scarlets fixtures between 8th December and 19th of January for starters - people get out of the habit with a long 5 week break like that, and if you look at the gap in home fixtures that involve our international stars.......

Welsh regional rugby is struggling to keep itself afloat at the moment, I'm sorry but we cannot focus on trying to support Scottish or Italian professional teams or else we will fail in Wales and not be able to support them in a few years anyway. 

Rugby Union in Europe is at a cross-roads and the 3 (or 4) Welsh regions joining an expanded Aviva ticks lots of boxes for me - it would be great to compete with Bath for the rag doll twice a season rather than one the odd occasion too. I really do believe that the different style of rugby that the Welsh regions would bring to the table would help the English teams to develop their playing style too - which would help them to improve there performances in the HEC.

The HEC my well change format anyway, if we hold onto the present Rabo and HEC formats as the answer we'll be left with little in a couple of years anyway, an Anglo-Welsh league even with a (slightly) reduced chance of making the HEC on a regular basis would suit us far more. Try asking any follower of Swansea City if they'd rather be in a Welsh league with an almost guaranteed presence in a European competition, or in the English Premiership with a much reduced chance of European competition and you know what 100% would say - this proposal would give the Scarlets, Ospreys and Blues a similar set-up to what Swansea City, and possibly soon Cardiff City have. Bring it on!! - Brilliant!!

Edited by Scarlet Growler - 18 February 2013 at 10:22pm
Yma o Hyd

North Enclosure Choir member since the Stradey Days.
ewbank2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewbank2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2013 at 10:50pm
As I suggested in another topic, would a 2 division British and Irish league suit all with the italians joining the french league? I can't see any of this being agreed on but just an idea
Scarlets am Byth
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2013 at 4:57am
What do England have in 2015 that Roger wanted, had planned and committed to have in his fiscal predictions, but his greed in taking on extra internationals in the AI's last year ultimately and calamitously backfired, pushing Wales out of the top 2 group rankings?

Everyone remember how the RFU nearly choked on their cucumber butties when our Roger still suggested Enmgland would come to Wales to play their 2015 RWC match...and Aus might too??

Well looky looky at the softening of that particular stance by the RFU (below)...
The RFU hold Roger's interest, and his vote, because of the wedge they can give him by staging high profile games at the Millenium in the 2015 RWC, which in the end is Roger's main source of income...there is plenty in this ladies and gentlemen...plenty.

http://blogs.espnscrum.com/latest-news/archives/2013/02/cardiff_could_yet_host_england.php
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic