Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Jordan yesterday

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote InTheBath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jordan yesterday
    Posted: 21 April 2014 at 11:32am
Ken aside, we were generally dreadful yesterday. However, I noticed Jordan playing a more Shane Williams style role than I have before; running off the 10/12 shoulder, popping up at first receiver as well as running from deep.

This got him involved in the game a lot more and allowed us to use this strengths close to the gainline without exposing his weaknesses there. I hope he's encouraged to have a free role like this a lot more.
Sponsored Links

Westwalian View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Westwalian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2014 at 11:52am
Yeah this is true! He definitely had a more lively game than he has of late
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2014 at 2:17pm
Don't agree, I don't think he's ready for Regional rugby yet let alone international class.  Due to his size he will have to be 100% better than he is at the moment to warrant international status. To think that not too long ago we had North and Lamont as wingers and Fenby trying to get a game.  Now we have two 'wingers' who are doing their best but are nowhere nearly good enough  As for forwards, we had Lyons then Ben Morgan at 8 and since then no number 8. We are not replacing infuential players with  equally influential players. I despair when I think about it.
Keep the faith
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2014 at 2:40pm
I'm sorry grey but Jordan is having more of impact than George did for us and without him we have no threat at the moment.
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2014 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by greypower1 greypower1 wrote:

Don't agree, I don't think he's ready for Regional rugby yet let alone international class.  Due to his size he will have to be 100% better than he is at the moment to warrant international status. To think that not too long ago we had North and Lamont as wingers and Fenby trying to get a game.  Now we have two 'wingers' who are doing their best but are nowhere nearly good enough  As for forwards, we had Lyons then Ben Morgan at 8 and since then no number 8. We are not replacing infuential players with  equally influential players. I despair when I think about it.
Oh come off it! Jordan over the last few games has been one of our most potent weapons! He can create things out of nothing and has the potential to be a match winner. Yes he has weaknesses, and he is far from the finished article, but the pros far outweigh the cons with Jordan. Personally I have been pleased with Jordan's progress this season.
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
callaway View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote callaway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2014 at 2:54pm
Why do we restrict his kicking to long range efforts - like Wales did with Halfpenny?
If he can boom them from 50yds why not give him all the kicking duties and keep his eye in.

I think he offers a great deal to our attacking threat.....actually without JD - he is our only attacking threat
AstroScarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AstroScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2014 at 3:03pm
Jordan is still very young and still has a lot to learn and will only get better and better.

But, the guy is class. The ability to create something out of nothing at this level of rugby can only be done by a select few players. He is a match winner and someone who crowds come to see. 
'Stand up at home if you're watching, that was one of the Heineken Cup great tries'
Mr Ian View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mr Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2014 at 3:05pm
Jordan is the player with more brio of the full squad, with the ball he can invent the winning break. Not only from yesterday he impress me, like many others here. He will have to detect the better zone where run hi attack and dodge himself from the strong tackles, cause of his "weakness" for the modern rugby...but he know how play magic rugby and it's clear like the sun that our kick away rugby doesn t help his skills, but it's an other question...
Reverend Brown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reverend Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2014 at 3:10pm
Jordan has looked good in the last 2 games and I have made several posts about the fact that we could benefit from using his ability to play 10 to keep defences on their toes.

The Blues defence consistently rushed at Priestland yesterday but, when they tried it with Jordan at 10, he just stepped past them and made 20 yards for us.

I am not saying that this will work in every game but there is nothing wrong with a bit of variety to keep defences honest.

The honest truth is that, whilst he has pace, skill and some good potential, one of the main reasons that he stands out is that he is the best of a bad bunch.

George North was a far more threatening player. Any argument over this would be stupid.

There is a place to develop Jordan within our backs (whether it is at 10 in the back 3) but we desperately need more physical players to help us get over the gain line.
If loving the lord is wrong, I don't wanna be right!!!
AstroScarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AstroScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2014 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by Reverend Brown Reverend Brown wrote:

Jordan has looked good in the last 2 games and I have made several posts about the fact that we could benefit from using his ability to play 10 to keep defences on their toes.

The Blues defence consistently rushed at Priestland yesterday but, when they tried it with Jordan at 10, he just stepped past them and made 20 yards for us.

I am not saying that this will work in every game but there is nothing wrong with a bit of variety to keep defences honest.

The honest truth is that, whilst he has pace, skill and some good potential, one of the main reasons that he stands out is that he is the best of a bad bunch.

George North was a far more threatening player. Any argument over this would be stupid.

There is a place to develop Jordan within our backs (whether it is at 10 in the back 3) but we desperately need more physical players to help us get over the gain line.

Jordan's size is always going to hinder his chances of playing at 10. Think he should stick to the wing but play the Shane role in roaming looking for the ball and popping up at first receiver from time to time. 

Wherever he plays, he needs to be on the field. The threat he poses is too big to leave on the bench.
'Stand up at home if you're watching, that was one of the Heineken Cup great tries'
Mr Ian View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2014 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by Reverend Brown Reverend Brown wrote:

Yes of course, you 're right, but we need physical not only in jordan spot, we need it on ther wing, we need it above all on the 8 and in one of our centre, but this resolves it  with Scott back on the field.

Iwlew View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Iwlew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2014 at 3:44pm
A star of the future no doubt.
And We Were Singing...
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2014 at 3:56pm
If we had a coach that had some balls and made brave decisions then we would have sen JordAn at ten a few times this season
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2014 at 3:56pm
Defenders will not enjoy facing Jordan Williams with his pace swerve and sidestep. But even moreso with his improving work rate and ability to pop up everywhere.... He just needs to tighten up his game and think it through a bit. A player, even with massive talent like him, must be learning improving and growing all the time. Once a players ego believes the hype then he stops improving and its downhill. Ive noticed a few players branded as world class welsh talents often tend to lose focus and form.
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
tannerbankboy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tannerbankboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2014 at 4:12pm
Our only success over the past few games has been Jordan and Liam on the counter attack. Apart from that, especially from first phase there has been no attacking threat.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2014 at 4:12pm
I agree! I think he is cast in the Shane mould-ideal in roaming role as first reciever in broken play as well as on the wing! He made good progress this season and still only 20!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic