Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > ORDERED
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scottish Independence Vote

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2014 at 10:18am
It looks like the sweaties want it all plus. 

Through Thick And Thin!
Sponsored Links

Abbey View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abbey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2014 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by salmidach salmidach wrote:

If Scotland get independence, then withdraw all government departments out of Scotland, cancel all passports and driving licenses as they will no longer be valid as they are UK based documents.

On the case of military, remove all military bases, disband the Scots guards and no longer accept Scots in the military.

You want independence and want to leave the union then it's a complete cut off

Rather than withdraw support, London should sell it to them at full market rate.

All Government departments would have to move and this is why Independence wouldn't be enacted until 2017 to give them the opportunity to sort this stuff out.

Scotland talk of their world famour scientists and inventors like Fleming and Logie Baird, but they worked in London and not Scotland. He'll, even their most famous non-politician advocate of independence, Sir Sean Connery, lives in Marbella.

Same is true wor Wales. We bitch about our English neighbours but we are all better when working together. The union of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is unique in the world.

OwainLlanedi View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OwainLlanedi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2014 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by Abbey Abbey wrote:

Originally posted by salmidach salmidach wrote:

If Scotland get independence, then withdraw all government departments out of Scotland, cancel all passports and driving licenses as they will no longer be valid as they are UK based documents.

On the case of military, remove all military bases, disband the Scots guards and no longer accept Scots in the military.

You want independence and want to leave the union then it's a complete cut off

Rather than withdraw support, London should sell it to them at full market rate.

All Government departments would have to move and this is why Independence wouldn't be enacted until 2017 to give them the opportunity to sort this stuff out.

Scotland talk of their world famour scientists and inventors like Fleming and Logie Baird, but they worked in London and not Scotland. He'll, even their most famous non-politician advocate of independence, Sir Sean Connery, lives in Marbella.

Same is true wor Wales. We bitch about our English neighbours but we are all better when working together. The union of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is unique in the world.

And yet despite this union we still find ourselves sorely underfunded, with the figure likely to decline further.
"Er gwaetha pob Dic Siôn Dafydd, Er gwaetha 'rhen Fagi a'i chriw, Byddwn yma hyd ddiwedd amser, A bydd yr iaith Gymraeg yn fyw!"
bazlewis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bazlewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2014 at 4:15pm
If the sweaty socks get independence will we have to show our passports when we go to Glasgow and Edinburgh.
To be a Scarlet is as good as it gets
Vulcan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vulcan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2014 at 4:25pm
Same as when we go to the 3 Eire provinces
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2014 at 4:58pm
why dont the jocks just keep pushing for more and more devolved powers for their government over time.....that way they get the best of both worlds...autonomy over their own affairs, keep sterling, keep the army and defence etc

what else are they hoping to gain from total independence
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OwainLlanedi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2014 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

why dont the jocks just keep pushing for more and more devolved powers for their government over time.....that way they get the best of both worlds...autonomy over their own affairs, keep sterling, keep the army and defence etc

This in the last step in their devolution process. They have nowhere further to go in reality. This is "devo max"
"Er gwaetha pob Dic Siôn Dafydd, Er gwaetha 'rhen Fagi a'i chriw, Byddwn yma hyd ddiwedd amser, A bydd yr iaith Gymraeg yn fyw!"
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2014 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by OwainLlanedi OwainLlanedi wrote:

This in the last step in their devolution process. They have nowhere further to go in reality. This is "devo max"
why go any further just for the sake of it though? why go through all this hassle, the expense, the time, the political social economic upheaval? disbanded armies, defence? possibly even the currency? the relationship with europe? the ship building etc?

I just cant work out if the benefits outweigh the costs of seperating entirely? Id be interested to know what these additional benefits are without of course reading the 500+ page manifesto lol
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2014 at 8:01pm

why go any further just for the sake of it though? why go through all this hassle, the expense, the time, the political social economic upheaval? disbanded armies, defence? possibly even the currency? the relationship with europe? the ship building etc?

I just cant work out if the benefits outweigh the costs of seperating entirely? Id be interested to know what these additional benefits are without of course reading the 500+ page manifesto lol

Roy, you run a business and know that you can only spend what is earned.
This process is all about the folk that are being paid for from the bottomless pit that is govt funding.mit is always easier to spend someone else's money rather than your own. Just think about those who are backward in coming forward about buying their round
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote OwainLlanedi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2014 at 8:35pm
Isn't the realisation of a common goal held by a like minded collection of people of living in an independent Scotland enough? It's an ideal that I share for Wales.

I've tried to unskilfully express some of the positives in page 1 of this thread, but you'll need someone far more intelligent people than me to explain the economic and democratic advantages in detailed terms. But those benefits are there.
ScarletSpiderman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ScarletSpiderman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2014 at 10:15pm

Isn't the realisation of a common goal held by a like minded collection of people of living in an independent Scotland enough? It's an ideal that I share for Wales.

I've tried to unskilfully express some of the positives in page 1 of this thread, but you'll need someone far more intelligent people than me to explain the economic and democratic advantages in detailed terms. But those benefits are there.

Have a thanks

Also economic gains/losses are not certainties and can change pretty quick.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2014 at 10:43pm
its all rather intriguing. Id love to think the jocks could do it and make a success if it, there are many smaller nations who are relatively successful. Id just like to hear the pro seperatists state their case more clearly and boldly to try and seduce the voters. Im on the fence as I dont know enough. one thing is for sure bonny scotland has seen way way more economic benefits from their devolved government than weve seen from ours. theyve got a fair bit richer, weve got a fair bit poorer.
LLANDRE View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2014 at 11:31pm
If Scotland want to be independent then let them have it.. The Scots are a resilient lot of people and very prudent. As a Welshman i have no bond to being part of Great Britain.Its part of the reason why the British Lions doesnt do much for me. I find it very difficult supporting a team with English players in it.
West is Best (Fin gwybod)
tigerburnie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2014 at 4:19pm
In the words of that famous Scotsman Mel Gibson(....................LOL) FREEDOM is what they think they want. You may know I live up here in bonny Scotland and to be honest the majority do not seem to give a flying fig about independance. I will be surprised if there's much of a turnout for the vote, the SNP are not popular and I live in their heartland in Angus. Will it work, will it affect the rest of the UK, I honestly don't know as none of the scheming gits will answer your questions. All I asked was who will pay me my pension when I retire next year, will it be London, who had most of my money, or will it be Embra, no one seems to know. They want me to vote and I don't know if I can do so with any knowledge or conviction.
Abbey View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abbey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2014 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by LLANDRE LLANDRE wrote:

If Scotland want to be independent then let them have it.. The Scots are a resilient lot of people and very prudent. As a Welshman i have no bond to being part of Great Britain.Its part of the reason why the British Lions doesnt do much for me. I find it very difficult supporting a team with English players in it.

I felt like this until reading the current plethora of books and articles on the independence issue - and I still shudder to think of Welshmen playing cricket for England (yes, I know it's the England and Wales cricket board, but they're still called England).

However Wales just couldn't cut it as an independent country. To take my own sphere of knowledge, healthcare, even though the NHS in Wales is devolved, we still rely heavily on NHS England (what used to be the Department of Health). Training for any professional, other than doctors and nurses, in hospitals (a bigger proportion than you'd think with Pharmacy, Pathology, Radiology & Medical Physics, Clinical Scientists, physiotherapy for instance), has an Academy basically paid for by NHS England but supplies the four countries. Without them, training would be unaffordable and it would be difficult to recruit staff in Wales. This is a small example but one of many.

The Scots are better placed to survive as they have more tourism, have oil/gas and sell world goods like Whisky.

As for the non-affinity for the Scots to be British, that's true today but I was interested to read that when the union was created, it was the Scots who defined themselves as British and the English refused to use this term. How things have changed!!

Edited by Abbey - 21 July 2014 at 5:47pm
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2014 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by tigerburnie tigerburnie wrote:

In the words of that famous Scotsman Mel Gibson(....................LOL) FREEDOM is what they think they want. You may know I live up here in bonny Scotland and to be honest the majority do not seem to give a flying fig about independance. I will be surprised if there's much of a turnout for the vote, the SNP are not popular and I live in their heartland in Angus. Will it work, will it affect the rest of the UK, I honestly don't know as none of the scheming gits will answer your questions. All I asked was who will pay me my pension when I retire next year, will it be London, who had most of my money, or will it be Embra, no one seems to know. They want me to vote and I don't know if I can do so with any knowledge or conviction.

Best of luck
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
  Share Topic