Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sky Coverage Today

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2014 at 9:17am
Robson doesn't grate all that much on me, at least he was informed and had done some decent player research...Greenwood is a breath of fresh air for Welsh rugby coverage.

Edited by Wil Chips - 07 September 2014 at 9:17am
Sponsored Links

Turkish Fez View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turkish Fez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2014 at 10:12am
It made me laugh when Greenwood says that he still has a pair of boots in his car. On the off chance when he's down his Local Club, Maidenhead I think it is there 3rds etc might be short and he get a game, a drink and a song with his mates. He just oozes enthusiasm.
We all had Doctor's papers!
Tim Opolis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Tim Opolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2014 at 11:25am
I thought ScrumV on Friday was embarrassing, so much so that I felt compelled to tweet them.

Bloody lazy production if you ask me. Same old formula, same tired little digs at politics in welsh rugby. They seem disinterested and did little to liven up what was in itself a dull game. Even Phil's Steele's contrived little puns are stale.

Yes they have less money than Sky, but would it cost much to have enthusiastic presenters and pundits. Same old Jiffy, does he really want to be there? same old Sean Holley, Sean Holley, how the heck can he be given a job commenting on this league when he has so publicly disrespected it and the welsh regions? Ridiculous.

I honestly had to swith over to BBC Alba where the commentary even in gaelic was an improvement on ScrumV. Ross Harries must be the dullest presenter ever, he should market himself as a cure for insomnia.

What pisses me off is that I am going to have to watch this shit, especially if the Scarlets are playing.

Sky knocks them out of the Park, in fact ScrumV isnt even in the same park as Sky.

A portion of our licence fee goes on this drivel. Pathetic.
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.
bazlewis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bazlewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2014 at 2:57pm
I have just watched the game and must admit I did enjoy sky's coverage. It always seems to me that BBC and S4C think because they are free they can get away with serving up dross. Let us hope that they may try and up there game to match Sky.
To be a Scarlet is as good as it gets
Matty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2014 at 3:36pm
Having less money than Sky should not be an excuse for poor commentary. Most of the BBC and S4C coverage smacks of amateurism - like a lot of Welsh rugby! The commentators do not have the same insight into the game or players, which could easily be researched before any given game. So could creating a buzz about the games.

It's also great on Sky because everything doesn't revert back to Wales or the WRU. I lose count of how many times the build-up to a Pro12 game focuses on the Welsh team, with Sky all the build up is about the game at hand.
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2014 at 7:01pm
Sky tend to focus on what the uninformed casual viewer is about to see, if their channel-hopping stopped on their programme. Bringing in the new viewer with informative, positive and enthusiastic presentation helps hugely to widen the audience.

Good on them.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2014 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by Matty Matty wrote:

Having less money than Sky should not be an excuse for poor commentary. Most of the BBC and S4C coverage smacks of amateurism - like a lot of Welsh rugby! The commentators do not have the same insight into the game or players, which could easily be researched before any given game. So could creating a buzz about the games.

It's also great on Sky because everything doesn't revert back to Wales or the WRU. I lose count of how many times the build-up to a Pro12 game focuses on the Welsh team, with Sky all the build up is about the game at hand.

Agreed. Just serves to reinforce the mantra that the regional game served only to fill the gaps between internationals. HAAATE IT (as does Alun Wyn!) Angry
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
jonathan2835 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonathan2835 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2014 at 1:18pm
I agree with what everyone is saying, the Sky coverage was SO much better that that of BBC & S4C.  So many times have I been fed up of listening to Jiffy spout his nonsense, none of which is ever positive.  It was like a breath of fresh air with the sky commentary team, plus watching the game in HD was so much better.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2014 at 1:36pm
Jiffy ' Numbers Go Left Oh No To late'  Davies  was a  very good player and as a duel coder came back home as a rather big fish in a small Welsh pool and to be fair has done very well for himself post rugby playing days. However, as a skilled and communicative pundit he is so very poor compared to the Sky guys such as Greenwood and it's really great to see the Welsh regions in there at long last. Delighted we have Sky on board. Thumbs Up 
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2014 at 2:52pm
It was a great game on saturday, and I'm delighted that (apparently) the Sky coverage did it justice.

You have to remember, though, that Sky is a commercial enterprise which out of self-interest will hype games to the max - whether they deserve it or not.

It seems that the London Irish v Harlequins game at the weekend was a damp squib. Did this come across in the Sky commentary? Or do they have to pretend it was a great game, even when it isn't?

(Just asking - I don't have Sky.)
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Mrfwon View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrfwon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2014 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

Just been watching the replay on Sky, and I have to say, their coverage of the game was very professional. I feel the Welsh media (both S4C and BBC) need to take a few lessons from Sky's book. 

Been saying this for years! ShockedShockedShocked It is all very well and good broadcasting Scrum V from a local rugby club where you can see the punters in the background shanting or in the Scrum V studio where the panel are wearing jumpers and jeans etc, but it is all about setting the standards and looking professional if we want to be taken seriously.

There is a time and place for dressing down and looking casual, and broadcasting to the nation is not the time to do it.

Sky will always do things professionally when it comes to presentation, and like you, think they did a cracking job on the weekend! ClapClapClap
Scarlets!!!
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2014 at 3:24pm
I love the 'entertainment' feel /hype and all the graphics and pundit discussions. I don't want Chapel! Dead 
 Ditto anything on Sky Sports. Its all very good stuff. They know how to tick the boxes. Its revolutionalised sports entertainment.
rolly View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2014 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by Tim Opolis Tim Opolis wrote:

I thought ScrumV on Friday was embarrassing, so much so that I felt compelled to tweet them.

Bloody lazy production if you ask me. Same old formula, same tired little digs at politics in welsh rugby. They seem disinterested and did little to liven up what was in itself a dull game. Even Phil's Steele's contrived little puns are stale.

Yes they have less money than Sky, but would it cost much to have enthusiastic presenters and pundits. Same old Jiffy, does he really want to be there? same old Sean Holley, Sean Holley, how the heck can he be given a job commenting on this league when he has so publicly disrespected it and the welsh regions? Ridiculous.

I honestly had to swith over to BBC Alba where the commentary even in gaelic was an improvement on ScrumV. Ross Harries must be the dullest presenter ever, he should market himself as a cure for insomnia.

What pisses me off is that I am going to have to watch this shit, especially if the Scarlets are playing.

Sky knocks them out of the Park, in fact ScrumV isnt even in the same park as Sky.

Agree 100%
minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2014 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by Tim Opolis Tim Opolis wrote:

They should get rid of the lot of them and BBC2W can use the saved money on bringing the coverage to HD instead. 

Compare the quality of picture between our game on Sky and Friday or S4C's Sunday game.
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2014 at 4:20pm
bbc match coverage is ok , maybe a bit stale and complacent and self congratulating....but the promotion is very poor
sky coverage is more dynamic, definitely promotes the product far better, can be a bit cheesey, digger barnes thinks hes dylan thomas, miles harrison is a cornball, scarlets demi God ieuan knows his onions but can be a walking cliche and when does the uber passionate scott quinnell , decide what hes going to say? love his hwyl , but he does seems to ramble at times...and no I wouldnt say that to his faceWink
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2014 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Jiffy ' Numbers Go Left Oh No To late'  Davies  was a  very good player and as a duel coder came back home as a rather big fish in a small Welsh pool and to be fair has done very well for himself post rugby playing days. However, as a skilled and communicative pundit he is so very poor compared to the Sky guys such as Greenwood and it's really great to see the Welsh regions in there at long last. Delighted we have Sky on board. Thumbs Up 

by all means have a go at jiffy for his t.v. work but that man will go to his grave as an all time great in both codes as a club and international player.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic