FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rhys Priestland might have stayed?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Iwlew View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iwlew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rhys Priestland might have stayed?
    Posted: 17 April 2015 at 1:12pm
Shingler has been solid this season at 10 and his goal kicking is excellent, but losing Priestland's experiance and attacking ability is a blow. I'm sure Shingler can step up though.
And We Were Singing...
Sponsored Links

Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2015 at 12:43pm

We all have differing feelings and thoughts about everything which makes the forum so good, but I do feel there is so much pressure put on some players that in the end they suffer.

I don't see so much criticism for Regan King miss tackling in a few games, Ken Owens not finding his targets in the Edinburgh game, Rob Evans being penalised since coming back from Team Wales.

I have now picked on players I have the utmost respect for and in fact would actually die for the shirt, just to show that criticism is all relative it is a team game after all.

I could probably single out everyone who in their turn who have influenced a game.

I for one would rather have Rhys in the Scarlet shirt, rather than Blue/Black/White of Bath. 

I think this will be my last post on Rhys, it's gone on long enough now.
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
s.pimpernel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
A.F.K.A.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s.pimpernel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2015 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by OwainLlanedi OwainLlanedi wrote:

In relation to the general thread - there's some baffling opinions about Rhys on this thread, but unfortunately I'm not surprised anymore.

Yes, he's not as strong as Shingler at the most visceral aspect of an outside half's play: goal kicking. But, his distribution and game management are so far superior; he just seems to have that extra second on the ball to pick his option. He's an excellent player, has been for some time and he will be for the next couple of years as he develops his game in a new environment. It's a huge shame he's going, and we'll undoubtedly be weaker for his absence.

Firstly, losing a player with Rhys experience will always be a loss and it is that experience which obviously makes him a more experienced outside half than Shingler.

But as someone who also has had the responsibility of being the teams goal kicker, I do feel that this part of his game is very erratic and I haven't seen any noticeable improvement over the last 3-4 years.

If he had kicked Cubbys conversion we go two scores ahead with 2 1/2 minutes to play. I'll give him credit for making the touchline penalty but we only had it because the Zebre forwards made two moronic errors in the last 30 seconds of the game. The same with the draw with Ulster. He kicked well all game but missed the easiest kick which would have put us two scores ahead and effectively won the game.

He's a good signing by Bath and contrary to what some think on here, I echo the thoughts of wishing him well. That said, if he hasn't sorted out his erraticness re his goal kicking by now, I fail to see how it will improve at Bath.

Edited by s.pimpernel - 15 April 2015 at 12:26pm
In Pivac we trust
Exkixu View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exkixu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2015 at 9:49am
Originally posted by scarletman scarletman wrote:

Originally posted by Exkixu Exkixu wrote:

Originally posted by EJPT EJPT wrote:

edinburgh away rhys hit the post ended up drawing the game, cost us the win.  

Funny, you've chosen a draw, where Priestland kicked 4 out of 5 (2 pen, 2 conv, 80% kicking), the missed kick was at the end of the first half, and Edinburgh had a last minute kick to win the game. Which they missed.

Also, Edinburgh drew level at 20-20 whilst John Barclay was in the sin bin (not rolling away) ! Maybe some element of "cost" should be apportioned there ?

Ah, yes, there's that too .

1 Xavier Rush   2 Rhys Priestland   3 David Lyons   Cardiff Blues - Scarlets, 26/09/09      

More carries than any of our forwards. Priestland Fan Club Proud Member
redeyes View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redeyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2015 at 9:46am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Rhys will be a very good addition to an already strong squad. Bath have high aspirations which are being bank rolled by a very rich individual. At this point in time we cannot possibly compete. He has been a good servant to us and will be missed. However we cannot do anything about it.  I don't believe he meant that he would have changed his mind had he known about Steven Jones.

With regard to his Welsh future I cannot believe Gatland will trust Anscombe as understudy to Biggar. In my opinion Hook is the third choice for Wales with Owain 4th & Patchell 5th. I have not seen anything yet from Anscombe which warrants a central contract. It looks like more very muddled thinking from the Blues management

I don't think The Blues can be blamed for a central contract being offered to Anscombe, that is down to Gatland and the WRU.
The stadium may change, but the dream will remain the same!

Mrfwon View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrfwon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2015 at 9:43am

Originally posted by Mrfwon Mrfwon wrote:

Originally posted by daishwmae daishwmae wrote:

Money KC, its as simple as that.

Totally agree. I don't blame him either at 28. When he mentioned it might threaten his international career by moving over the bridge it might actually enhance it. Because when Ford will be with England pre season and at the World Cup Priestland will be able to show what he can do. Having said that, that might mean him missing out on the biggest stage of all!!

Doesn't Rhys live in Cardiff at the moment? In commute terms, the mileage from Cardiff to Llanelli and Cardiff to Bath are pretty much identical (approx 55 - 60 miles).

Options:
  • <span style="line-height: 1.4;">Premiership rugby with a top team, fresh new challenge, in a beautiful city, on a very good salary, (and out of the goldfish bowl). Chance of silverware = High.</span>
  • <span style="line-height: 1.4;">Pro 12 rugby with a mid-table team, in a rough town, on a mediorcre salary (with all the Welsh abuse to go with). Chance of silverware = Low.</span>

Quite an easy decision to be honest Shocked

Was 'rough town' really wise?[/QUOTE]
There are many nice places in and around Llanelli, but the town itself is rough for sure. 
Scarlets!!!
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2015 at 9:42am
Rhys will be a very good addition to an already strong squad. Bath have high aspirations which are being bank rolled by a very rich individual. At this point in time we cannot possibly compete. He has been a good servant to us and will be missed. However we cannot do anything about it.  I don't believe he meant that he would have changed his mind had he known about Steven Jones.

With regard to his Welsh future I cannot believe Gatland will trust Anscombe as understudy to Biggar. In my opinion Hook is the third choice for Wales with Owain 4th & Patchell 5th. I have not seen anything yet from Anscombe which warrants a central contract. It looks like more very muddled thinking from the Blues management
Mrfwon View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrfwon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2015 at 9:39am
Originally posted by Dai38 Dai38 wrote:

I do think the posts over the past few hours has confirmed that Rhys is an ordinary No 10 and is leaving the promised land for a 2nd class team for money alone.........wonderful.

He has done the right decision for Rhys, how many people working would turn down the % pay increase he will get next season, if EVERYONE was honest not many.

Who will be the first to post next season wishing he was still with the scarlets.

I wouldn't say that, I think it highlights that opinions of him on here are simply divided Thumbs Up Look, there is no doubt that on his day, Rhys is a world class player, and then on other days when his head is down, he is far from it.

Personally, I wish Rhys all the best, he has been an awesome player for us, and he'll do well at Bath. It is a fresh new challenge for him, away from the Welsh public, and he's worked well to earn the move! Clap
Scarlets!!!
OwainLlanedi View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OwainLlanedi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2015 at 9:32am
Originally posted by Mrfwon Mrfwon wrote:

Totally agree. I don't blame him either at 28. When he mentioned it might threaten his international career by moving over the bridge it might actually enhance it. Because when Ford will be with England pre season and at the World Cup Priestland will be able to show what he can do. Having said that, that might mean him missing out on the biggest stage of all!!

Doesn't Rhys live in Cardiff at the moment? In commute terms, the mileage from Cardiff to Llanelli and Cardiff to Bath are pretty much identical (approx 55 - 60 miles).

Options:
  • <span style="line-height: 1.4;">Premiership rugby with a top team, fresh new challenge, in a beautiful city, on a very good salary, (and out of the goldfish bowl). Chance of silverware = High.</span>
  • <span style="line-height: 1.4;">Pro 12 rugby with a mid-table team, in a rough town, on a mediorcre salary (with all the Welsh abuse to go with). Chance of silverware = Low.</span>

[/QUOTE]

Was 'rough town' really wise?
"Er gwaetha pob Dic Siôn Dafydd, Er gwaetha 'rhen Fagi a'i chriw, Byddwn yma hyd ddiwedd amser, A bydd yr iaith Gymraeg yn fyw!"
Mrfwon View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrfwon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2015 at 9:32am
Originally posted by Gate12 Gate12 wrote:

I'm looking forward to the threads bemoaning how well Rhys is playing for Bath and why couldn't he do that when he was with us when he's doing exactly the same things he did for us, they will then turn into threads slating previous coaches for not getting the best out of him.

Loves those threads.
He'll play well with bath, like he does for us. His kicking will be interesting though, and I'm interested to see if Bath can improve it?
Scarlets!!!
Mrfwon View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrfwon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2015 at 9:28am

[/QUOTE]

Options:
  • Premiership rugby with a top team, fresh new challenge, in a beautiful city, on a very good salary, (and out of the goldfish bowl). Chance of silverware = High.
  • Pro 12 rugby with a mid-table team, in a rough town, on a mediorcre salary (with all the Welsh abuse to go with). Chance of silverware = Low.

Edited by Mrfwon - 15 April 2015 at 9:29am
Scarlets!!!
scarletman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Married with Kids - Close to Bankruptcy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2015 at 9:19am
Originally posted by Exkixu Exkixu wrote:

Originally posted by EJPT EJPT wrote:

edinburgh away rhys hit the post ended up drawing the game, cost us the win.  

Funny, you've chosen a draw, where Priestland kicked 4 out of 5 (2 pen, 2 conv, 80% kicking), the missed kick was at the end of the first half, and Edinburgh had a last minute kick to win the game. Which they missed.

Also, Edinburgh drew level at 20-20 whilst John Barclay was in the sin bin (not rolling away) ! Maybe some element of "cost" should be apportioned there ?
Herman Tours ... Still the best way to travel !
Mrfwon View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrfwon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2015 at 9:18am
Originally posted by Dai38 Dai38 wrote:

Totally agree PE SA.

Rhys is a top class NO 10, and still the best footballing one in Wales, it is a real shame that he does lack some confidence at times.

When players leave The Scarlets they obviously not good enough for the Scarlets----sorry to say but that's how I see some supporters thinking--hero to zero.

We must appreciate what Rhys has gone through--the media-Welsh supporters-scarlets supporters-have all had a go at him, do you really blame him to go to Bath!!!

Lovely City--very good side-lifestyle-less vocal supporters (PC Version)--more money--2 hours from home--  VERY DIFFICULT DECISION !!!! 

As Scarlets supporters who have seen Rhys come through the ranks, we 100% know that. The real problem is that rest of Wales don't back him and don't want to admit it. This is why moving to Bath will do Rhys the world of good.

If Rhys can hold his own at Bath, and challenge for the 10 spot, Gats won't ignore him. 
Scarlets!!!
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2015 at 9:11am

In relation to the general thread - there's some baffling opinions about Rhys on this thread, but unfortunately I'm not surprised anymore.

Yes, he's not as strong as Shingler at the most visceral aspect of an outside half's play: goal kicking. But, his distribution and game management are so far superior; he just seems to have that extra second on the ball to pick his option. He's an excellent player, has been for some time and he will be for the next couple of years as he develops his game in a new environment. It's a huge shame he's going, and we'll undoubtedly be weaker for his absence.

Yes I agree-which was the main point I wanted to make ie that there is no-one else in the starting 15 team that could place kick if we had wanted to keep Rhys on the field playing at 10 minus his place kicking duties. Yes, Shings could have started at centre but he clearly wouldnt be as good as the King/Scott/Parkes options.  I guess in our case, Jordan would have been a possibility if he could have cemented a place in the first 15 but he has faded sadly and currently we then only have Shings coming on to replace Rhys as lead kicker . Next season, it will be Shings as lead kicker and then Aled coming on to replace. Wales with Halfp and Biggar as starting 15 is obviously a rare luxury in reality these days.

OwainLlanedi View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote OwainLlanedi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2015 at 8:23am

"Er gwaetha pob Dic Siôn Dafydd, Er gwaetha 'rhen Fagi a'i chriw, Byddwn yma hyd ddiwedd amser, A bydd yr iaith Gymraeg yn fyw!"
Mundoscarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mundoscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2015 at 8:03am
i hope that with steve back,maybe he can work with mybe the likes of liam on his kicking and maybe we have 1 or 2 others who have ability(parkes maybe) that could do a job

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic