Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scarlets sign Johnny McNicholl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 19>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2016 at 1:20pm
Well said. He moved to us to play regularly at 10 to try to get in the Welsh team. Priestland made his decision. We realistically could not afford him especially if we sign McNichol who appears to be just what we need. All surplus money after securing a top notch winger must be used on our forwards. We probably need 2 locks ( Bernado plus hard nosed carrier) & another tight head unless management feel that Payne is going to make the grade next season. 
Sponsored Links

Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2016 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Originally posted by haydn_davies haydn_davies wrote:

Having Patchell and Priestland here next season can only be positive, no?
not really as patchell is moving because he can't play 10,how would he feel if we brought rhys back?
He would rightly feel that he has to earn his place at 10 and keep Priestland out. No-one can be assured a starting spot, this is a professional sport. 
Not that I think it's a big possibility that he will return!

Edited by Wasp - 04 April 2016 at 1:45pm
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2016 at 2:39pm
If Priestland joins next year we will have a very unhappy Patchell, who is only leaving the Blues because he wants to play no 10.

Do we want that, and what impression will it give potential new signings, forget the back up position, they both are first choice players, in my mind a recipe for an unhappy camp.

It's ok if a player develops within the camp---Owens/Phillips----not great if we buy 2 new players, and in my mind a waste of money for the second player regardless who he is.

Before any one shouts I am a big Priestland fan............honest
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
mr geraint View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr geraint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2016 at 8:01pm
If we had both RPs then neither would be demoted to 15. That's Sanjay's position.

It would be one starting, the other on the bench covering 10, 12 & 15.

Not that it's expected.
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2016 at 8:20pm
Sanjay to wing where Gatland wants to play him
haydn_davies View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haydn_davies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2016 at 8:25pm

not really as patchell is moving because he can't play 10,how would he feel if we brought rhys back?

When we signed him, I'm not sure anyone knew what was going to happen re: Rhys.

It's professional sport - they'd both have to fight for the 10 shirt.

Can't see Rhys coming back TBH, but if he did, I'd be delighted.
Think, think, think - it's a thinking man's game!! - The Great Carwyn James.
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2016 at 10:29pm
Would anyone really turn down Rhys just in case is upset Patchell? I certainly wouldn't.
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2016 at 10:41pm
It depends what we said to get Patchell's signature. Why do you think Priestland will come back for less than he was on at Bath? I'd prefer that we stick to our promise to Patchell and use the saved money for a forward while at the same time maintaining our reputation for meaning what we say. Anyway Dan jones is hardly likely to develop much as 3rd choice 10.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2016 at 11:39pm
Nice to see Rhys with Gareth Maule together on Saturday looking very relaxed but the past is the past.
pufferfish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pufferfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2016 at 1:31am
Maybe Rhys will move to the Blues as they are on the up and he's worked with Danny before. If he is to come back it will be the Blues or us.
If only it was Rainin
Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2016 at 8:27am
We don't need Rhys. We've signed patchell and got Dan. The money will be better spent on a SR or NO8.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
TekVues View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TekVues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2016 at 8:58am
Originally posted by Mogwen Mogwen wrote:

We don't need Rhys. We've signed patchell and got Dan. The money will be better spent on a SR or NO8.

This. I'm a big fan of Priestland but Patchell is our 10 from next season onward. After watching Patchell closely this season, I personally this he has the portential to be a class 10 but has been messed around by the Blues. If they had any sense, they would have kept Patchell at 10 and Anscombe at 15. 
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2016 at 9:23am
Originally posted by TekVues TekVues wrote:

Originally posted by Mogwen Mogwen wrote:

This. I'm a big fan of Priestland but Patchell is our 10 from next season onward. After watching Patchell closely this season, I personally this he has the portential to be a class 10 but has been messed around by the Blues. If they had any sense, they would have kept Patchell at 10 and Anscombe at 15

I think that the NDC and Gatland dictated otherwise sadly from Patchell's perspective.
Foxglove197 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxglove197 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2016 at 9:40am
I'm a big fan of both players, and would love for them both to be here at the Parc. The professional game is only getting tougher, teams are strengthening around us, and if we are to compete at the highest European level, it is essential for us to have quality players, at least 2 in both positions as already mentioned. I understand the financial restrictions that we have experienced, and the gap between us and other clubs, but it would be a good statement from Pivac to show his ambition in brining back Priestland, even more so if he's unhappy at Bath. What a back line we would have, also agree forwards are a priority before this could be discussed.
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2016 at 10:20am
If we had plenty of money Foxglove I may agree but we have not, and we must remember Rhys is on £300k+ in Bath.

After last Saturday we need fresh blood in the pack, we have a good starting pack but nothing afterwards, and it showed against the Blues, they looked tired, and not a great deal to bring on (to improve that is) so I would certainly use the money for forwards.
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2016 at 10:22am

When we signed him, I'm not sure anyone knew what was going to happen re: Rhys.

It's professional sport - they'd both have to fight for the 10 shirt.

Can't see Rhys coming back TBH, but if he did, I'd be delighted.

So where would that leave the under20s Grand Slam winning Dan Jones? 3rd choice down here and probably leave for another region as another one who got away player.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 19>
  Share Topic