Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > ARE YOU BLIND REF.... OR ARE WE WRONG ???
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Collision leads to try...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2016 at 7:47pm
I've an inkling Sanjay would've seen the oppo coming and jumped, or side stepped, to,avoid collision.

Then he'd have swerved and side-stepped his way through what passed for Edinburgh's defence and dotted down under the posts.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Sponsored Links

gnasher1975 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnasher1975 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2016 at 7:59am
A couple of things for me, daffydd Howells changed direction to run across Edinburgh players line - penalty offence if I am correct.

People bang on about the fact he has run into a stationary man and overrun the ball. This being the case, Dan Eva s was in the wrong position to catch the ball anyway.

Holley bleating about knowing he has his eyes on the ball but you can't just run into people is ludicrous, well his eyes are on the ball see butt. Cant believe such a fuss has been made over a try that had no bearing on the match whatsoever.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2016 at 8:32am
The "fuss" appears to me to be a genuine discussion on an interesting topic. The fact that it had no bearing on the final result has absolutely nothing to do with it. If that was the criteria for all topics this would be a pretty lonely & dull forum. 

I have to say at the time I thought the ref had made a mistake. However the better informed on here have pointed me in the right direction. Hopefully Holley, Tandy & co have also been suitably corrected. 
gnasher1975 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnasher1975 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2016 at 8:45am
fair point, at that point in the game it could have swung momentum the other way.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2016 at 8:56am
Well I have learned something -thanks to the rule book techos for your comments Clap
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2016 at 11:19am
In light of this, If I was a coach, I'd be coaching my players to be sticking the ball up in the air and instructing them to be "looking at the ball" while crashing in to the opposition full back.

It could cause carnage if this is a legitimate tactic.
Sosban89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2016 at 11:26am
Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

In light of this, If I was a coach, I'd be coaching my players to be sticking the ball up in the air and instructing them to be "looking at the ball" while crashing in to the opposition full back.

This wouldn't technically work as almost all people receiving the ball under pressure jump, so it'd be a yellow/red card offense.
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2016 at 11:32am
I think it was a penalty, the wing knew what he was doing and did it well.

If that happened in a Scarlets game, supporters would be shouting or cheering dependant what side the full back was on.
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2016 at 11:57am
Originally posted by Sosban89 Sosban89 wrote:

This wouldn't technically work as almost all people receiving the ball under pressure jump, so it'd be a yellow/red card offense.

Why would it be a yellow / red card offence just because 1 of the players jumps?
Sosban89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2016 at 12:23pm

Why would it be a yellow / red card offence just because 1 of the players jumps?

If Dan Evans had jumped, then the opposing player would have taken him out in the air.
scarletman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Married with Kids - Close to Bankruptcy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2016 at 1:15pm

If Dan Evans had jumped, then the opposing player would have taken him out in the air.

Which would have resulted in a Penalty as his eyes were on the ball, Unless he landed on his back/shoulder then it would have been a Yellow Card... Unless he landed on his head then he would have had a Red Card and a transfer to Leicester Wink !

Herman Tours ... Still the best way to travel !
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2016 at 1:17pm

So through no fault of his own, the Edinburgh player's actions go from play on - to red card?

And all Dan Evans has to do to get the opposition down to 14 men is jump?

Sosban89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2016 at 1:22pm

So through no fault of his own, the Edinburgh player's actions go from play on - to red card?

I believe so yes. It was clumsy, but I don't think any foul was committed. Who's to say he wouldn't have caught the ball if Dan wasn't in the way?
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2016 at 2:25pm

I believe so yes. It was clumsy, but I don't think any foul was committed. Who's to say he wouldn't have caught the ball if Dan wasn't in the way?

The ball landed about 2 metres behind him!
John View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2016 at 2:48pm

The ball landed about 2 metres behind him!

And more than a second after he collided with Dan. (Which is why Dan hadn't jumped-yet).  Lets coach our wingers to do exactly this. A better way to score a try than a rolling maul......

Edited by John - 07 December 2016 at 2:52pm
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2016 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

The "fuss" appears to me to be a genuine discussion on an interesting topic. The fact that it had no bearing on the final result has absolutely nothing to do with it. If that was the criteria for all topics this would be a pretty lonely & dull forum. 

I have to say at the time I thought the ref had made a mistake. However the better informed on here have pointed me in the right direction. Hopefully Holley, Tandy & co have also been suitably corrected. 

Yes - I thought so, which is why I posted the topic.

Now, if the law was applied correctly (I believe it was, and accept Scarletman's verdict on that), then if people are not happy, then they should ask the legislators to consider an adjustment to the law, along the lines of:

"If an accidental collision leads to a significant advantage to either team (such as a try), then play should be brought back and a scrum awarded to the team which did not gain an advantage".

That would prevent any cunning 'accidental-on-purpose' collisions, but the inclusion of the word 'significant' prevents this becoming a major part of the game.

Of course, such incidents are pretty rare, so my guess is the law-makers will leave well alone.

(FWIW, I do not think the Edinburgh player deliberately ran into Dan - it really looked as if he had his eye on the ball the whole time.)
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic