Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

No. 8

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rygbi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2017 at 7:22pm
Do we need to sign a number eight? We have Will Boyde who can play number eight, right? Also, Josh MacLeod can play number eight? Both are contracted for next season?
Sponsored Links

scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2017 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by rygbi11 rygbi11 wrote:

Do we need to sign a number eight? We have Will Boyde who can play number eight, right? Also, Josh MacLeod can play number eight? Both are contracted for next season?
Yes we need to sign another 8. I rate Boyd and MacLeod but we want to be competing in the latter stages of Europe. To do that we need more ball carriers
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
rygbi11 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rygbi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2017 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Yes we need to sign another 8. I rate Boyd and MacLeod but we want to be competing in the latter stages of Europe. To do that we need more ball carriers

Ok.
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2017 at 8:39pm

If you play Boyde at 8, that takes him away from covering 7.
Macleod, being developed as an 8. Our only options there.
We need minimum 2 back rowers coming in who are cofartable at 6 and 8 IMO.
So next year could see options:
6: Shingler / Phillips
7. Cubby / Boyde / Evans
8. Macleod

That’s it currently - that shows there’s room to keep Rawlins at 6 - depending on the offer he is receiving elsewhere.
Would make sense at 2 8s coming in - plus Cummings who can cover 6.
So yes, we do need signings there.
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2017 at 9:14pm
We need to look outside of the squad for an abrasive ball carrying back rower. Yesterday showed that Benetton’s bigger forwards were able to prevent Barclay and Cubby from being as effective as usual. Bath did the same to us in round 2.
I don’t mind whether it’s a big ball carrying 8 or 6 as both can be equally effective.
thommo View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote thommo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2017 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by Legendinmybathroom Legendinmybathroom wrote:

We need to look outside of the squad for an abrasive ball carrying back rower. Yesterday showed that Benetton’s bigger forwards were able to prevent Barclay and Cubby from being as effective as usual. Bath did the same to us in round 2.
I don’t mind whether it’s a big ball carrying 8 or 6 as both can be equally effective.

An 8 picking up from scrum time and crossing the gain line is a play we cannot perform.
stevve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2017 at 9:46pm
With the confirmed and rumoured arrivals at the Dragons, A move for Harrison Keddie strikes me as sensible. He would be surplus to requirements there and isn't currently away with the internationals. He's out with a shoulder injury for now so his price tag won't be inflating and has been an effective ball carrier at U-20's with scope to develop.
Not the instant fix we'd all like but certainly an option to consider no?
1carmscarletsfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1carmscarletsfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2017 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

Hadleigh Parkes, Tadhg Beirne, Paul Asquith, even Leigh Halfpenny and Foxy...and Fonotia, just some of the players this forum have hung out to dry before they put the Scarlet jersey on.

Let’s just wait and see regarding these potential signings, welcome them, support them and see how they fit in our style of play and culture.
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2017 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by stevve stevve wrote:

With the confirmed and rumoured arrivals at the Dragons, A move for Harrison Keddie strikes me as sensible. He would be surplus to requirements there and isn't currently away with the internationals. He's out with a shoulder injury for now so his price tag won't be inflating and has been an effective ball carrier at U-20's with scope to develop.
Not the instant fix we'd all like but certainly an option to consider no?
That’s a move I’d like. Still not sure if Keddie will be a top 8 long term but surely the move would make sense for him and us.
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2017 at 10:52pm
My personal opinion - Keddie will never be European quality. Mcleod is a better option
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2017 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by Legendinmybathroom Legendinmybathroom wrote:

If we sign a 6 we will still be without any 8s whereas we have one fine 6 in Shingler, and also Cummins, Rawlins (hopefully) and Tom Phillips and even one or two others who wouldn't let us down. 

A very long shot for a second or third eight would be Aled Ward who captained, (from 8), the Wales U18 + U20 side in which Conbeer, Baldwin and Lloyd Pike played in.
He played in the same Glantaf side as Seb Davies and although not tall he was a powerful player who led by example. For some reason he's been released by the Blues, but in the past we've gambled on players not wanted by others Ben Morgan, Tadgh and I'm sure others, who we've gone on to make stars of.
Dafen Boy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dafen Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2017 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by stevve stevve wrote:

Who's up for a whip round for Taulupe?

The WRU would not allow that, Cardiff maybe but us...not so sure. Toulon is offering him a huge payday apparently
Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2017 at 7:26am
It looks like Wells is a ready made replacement for Rawlins. Another 8 as well would be a nice addition. Wells is a great player but more in the mould of Shingler rather than the 8 were after. I think pivac is building a quality squad. Let's not comment on his decisions until we've seen them in action.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2017 at 8:47am
I can't see Keddie moving, if Faletau signs for the Dragons, what a mentor to have, and with Faletau away 1/2 a season he'll have plenty of games.
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
crj89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crj89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2017 at 9:18am
Apologies for not knowing his name, but who's the No. 8 for Zebre of the last few seasons? Every time they have played us, he seems to be a class above the rest of the pack, always breaking the 1st tackle and looking good ball in hand. He's a big 8 with blonde hair.
Micro Duck View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Micro Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2017 at 10:12am
Our coaching team have got a very good record with their signings.

Nothing happens by accident, and Pivac doesn't sign a player on a whim.

If we bring in new players, it will be because Pivac has seen something in them which could be of value to us.

So I think we need to trust his judgement, and make our minds up on players when they actually play for us.
New KALAMAFONI - BEAST MODE t-shirt now available online.

Plus a new 'Sosban Fach Scoundrels' range.

Paste the link below into your URL:
https://llanelli.teemill.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic